OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

red dots for an AR15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: red dots for an AR15
    Posted: May/04/2007 at 18:16
so the cheap red dot that i had on the AR is giving me a fit holding a zero, and the best i can do is about a 30 round 2.5 foot group at 100 yards ... yep i said 2.5 feet !!!  for the first few months it worked just fine, and the iron sights are still right on, so i know it's not a gun or ammo issue.  so ... cash is an issue, i'm looking in the $200 range.. and i don't realy care for the EOtech's much ... an aimpoint is a bit out of the price range, my queston is , what else is out there, that would be suitable ?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2007 at 09:35

What's wrong with an Eotech??

I'm a born again believer in the Eotechs after being an aimpoint guy for a long while. 

Here's a suggestion for a range gun.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4751-196-bushnell-holosight-xlp.aspx

Or

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1436-196-bushnell-holosight.aspx

Chris8541 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2007 at 10:29
I added my thoughts on the Eotech earlier under Tactical Scopes. I bet my life on it a few times a week. The Aimpoint is also a good optic. What are you using your AR for? What kind of targets, distances, applications, etc.? Is it a flattop or carry handle? Also, remember that the PRIMARY sight system on that weapon is your iron sights. Become very proficient with them before you get too concerned about an electronic sight. I qualified Expert dozens of times with that rifle, shooting at 200, 300, and 500 yards before the dot sight was even invented! Do not become a "child of the red dot" like so many of my young platoon-mates that shoot the CCO(Aimpoint) beginning in Basic Training. If I had 200$ to spend, I would buy ammunition and become an iron sight Ninja, then buy an Eotech down the road. Good Luck and Take Care!

Semper Fi!
Chris Avery
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2007 at 12:59

I think 4 MOA is too large of a dot but its in your price range.

300230 New Burris 1x FastFire Red-Dot Reflex Sight                 New Burris 1x FastFire Red-Dot Reflex Sight
  • Matte
  • 4 MOA Dot
  • Picatinny Mount
SWFA: $165.95
More Info... Buy Now

Chris is right you need to be able to do better than that with iron sights alone. The red dot should co-witness with the iron sights and be of the most use in lower light situations when it gets dark enough that you cant tell where your front sight went. You also might just go with the trijicon tritium front sight.

CP25Y New Trijicon Night Sight                                    New Trijicon Night Sight
  • Colt M16/AR15 3 Dot Green Front & Yellow Rear Night Sight Set
SWFA: $69.95
More Info... Buy Now

rear sight ----  then dot ------  then front sight

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 20:34

thanks for the input guys.  and chris , i hear ya loud and clear. i'm a firm believer in iron sights, i have seen many ppl down at the range with flattops, and no iron sights. i never quite understood that, batteries do go dead, and usualy at the worst times. for me, the worst time would be at the range, on a nice warm sunny day,with no wind,  where i had my hopes of smoking paper, and printing tight groups. with the red dot i had before, i often found myself co-sighting the irons, with the red dot on top of the front post.

as far as my rifle, it's a bushmaster flattop w/ a fixed front sight and a flip up rear. i usualy shoot at ranges up to 300 yards, and more often then not, at paper, or some other non living target. at times there may be the need to dispatch a wild dog, ( we have issues around the house with stray ferrel abandoned dogs gone wild )

if i understand right, your over in iraq ? regaurdless of what the mass media might say, there are lots of ppl THANKFULL for you and your buddies. be safe, be well, and if you happen to run into major todd bajakian - army ranger , or lt. paul trembly jr - usmc, tell them the same !!

thanks again for the info guys

Edited by sinsir
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2007 at 16:30
6616 Trijicon 1x24 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight RX06, 12.9 MOA Amber Triangle reticle, includes; polarized filter, lens pen and dust cover, 100% new in box, display model $400.00 $259.95
6617 Trijicon 1x24 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight RX01NSN, 4 MOA Amber Dot reticle, includes; Flattop adapter, polarized filter, lens pen and dust cover, this model is a custom design for the M4 and is as sold to the U.S. Special Forces, 100% new in box, display model $495.00 $319.

SAMPLE LIST

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic