OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BSA SCOPES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKI58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BSA SCOPES
    Posted: May/03/2007 at 18:42

Hi Everyone,

I would like to get your aponion on BSA scopes. I'm thinking about putting one on my Mark II 22 cal.

. Are they reliable, Hold zero, clear.

John

Edited by JKI58
John
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 21:19

DON'T DO IT!

They are none of the above. 

I have never owned one personally, so my personal experience with them is limited to 3 samples previously owned by my buddies.  One was so horrible optically, it gave me a headache when looking through it longer than a few seconds.  The other two were not only bad optically, but the reticle rotated when the power ring was moved -- ON BOTH SCOPES!  So, my experience with them hasn't been positive, and evidently my experience is not an isolated anomaly, as I read countless bad reviews on BSA scopes.  I have heard from some who are pleased with theirs, but keep in mind, if a complex instrument like a riflescope has a cheap price, out of necessity, something was compromised, either in labor, construction, materials, or all of the above.

How much are you willing to spend?  If you want a fairly inexpensive scope for a .22, I would suggest looking at the Sightron SI 3-9X32 RF (50-yard parallax model), or SII 3-9X36 AO and SII 3-12X42AO airgun/rimfire scopes.  I don't own any Sightron scopes, but several here at OT do and have very positive opinions of them.  Selecting a scope that is either parallax-adjusted for 50 yards or has adjustable objective that focuses down to 50 yds or less will work better on a .22 rimfire.  Most scopes without A/O or side focus are parallax adjusted for 100 yds/meters, intended for centerfire use, which can be somewhat of a handicap for best shooting precision at short rimfire distances.

Welcome to OT, John!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 08:25
IMO, I have owned the BSA scopes, never again they would not hold zero for  me. I have learned the hard way. Spend the extra and get quality it will make you a happier shooter.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 17:59

my opinion on BSA scopes - well i have owned a few of them, as far as the optics, i'm no expert, but compaired to a LP or the SS ... hands down you can see a diffrence.

reliabilty - i have one (BSA) that when you shake it, it rattles, and something internal blocks your line of sight. on another, when you turn the AO, you can hear what sounds like glass grinding, it also will not repeat a "box test" and return to zero ... with yet another, i don't think it liked the recoil, it as well rattled, did'nt hold a zero worth a damm, the cross hairs looked bent, and when it gave up the ghost... the objective lens fell out ...no kidding !!!

i'm a recent convert to quality glass myself. i've been shooting for years with cheap junk scopes, BSA, tasco, bushnell, the under $200 range ... i have allways thought that a scope does'nt help you shoot any better, it only helps you see better , so why spend the extra cash that you could spend on ammo, or another rifle for that matter... right ? ......

my advise - listen to the guys here, spend the extra cash, buy quality, buy it once,  in the long run you will be a happy shooter.

JKI58 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKI58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 19:31

thanks everyone for your honest input. My .223 has a weaver 6 - 24 power, Love it. I'll spend the bucks and get a good scope for the 22 cal. also. My Dad use to say" Get What You Pay For."  Guess the ol' boy was right.

Again THSNKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!

JOHN

John
senewell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2007 at 14:12
I got to look through my first BSA this past weekend.  It was on a Bushmaster of all things.  I think it was an 8-32 mil-dot, and it was about the size of my leg.  The thing was so fuzzy that you couldn't even see bullet impacts at 100yds at any magnification level.  Even the mil-dots on the reticle were fuzzy.  I used my IOR 2.5-10x42 to tell him where his shots were impacting.  The IOR is a bit expensive in comparison.  If you are looking for something comparable in price to the BSA that still has very good optics, check out Sightron scopes.  I have the rimfire model on my Marlin Model 60, and it has the best optics I have ever seen on a "cheap" scope.  The windage and elevation dials aren't very user friendly (very stiff and hard to grip), but the scope does seem to hold zero pretty well, and it presents a very sharp, bright picture.  Many, many times better than the BSA.
My immigration policy: "Good fences equal good neighbors," and lining the border with snipers equals no immigration problem.
senewell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2007 at 14:17
You can't beat the http://www.swfa.com/pc-10594-1515-new-sightron-3-9x32-si-rif lescope.aspx for eighty bucks.  BSA can't beat it at any price.
My immigration policy: "Good fences equal good neighbors," and lining the border with snipers equals no immigration problem.
GuitarSlinger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuitarSlinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 10:19

I haven't seen a decent BSA, ever, but at least its not an NC star (although it probably comes out of the same pile of junk)

daskraut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daskraut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 22:14
I have an 8X32 on my kel-tek .223 and a sweet .22 scope on my calico .22, I have had no problems with either scope. True, when cranked up to past 28X, you might as well have put on sunglasses, it still shoots well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic