OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for an AR10T

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for an AR10T
    Posted: May/01/2007 at 12:13

I am getting back into shooting as time permits.  I just purchased a new AR10T and need a scope for it. I broke the bank on getting the AR10T, so I only have 300-400 to spend on a scope. I will mainly be shooting 100-200 yards to start out.  As time permits I would eventually like to shoot out to 500-600 yards.

I have narrowed it down to two:

SS10X42

Millet TRS-1

Are there any other scopes that you would recommend?

Which is better for my application - fixed or variable?

Thanks For your help.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 13:38
SS, no question.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
beckham View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 08:51

How does the Nikon Monarch UCC scopes compare to the SS and the Millett?  I know that the Nikons are 1 inch tubes.  I can get a 5.5-16.5x44 (BDC) for under $400 or a 3.3-10x44 (Mil-dot) for under $350. ???????????

What is BDC?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 10:36

SuperSniper!

If you need a variable, go with something else; if you want the best deal going on a great scope at a great price (and don't need variable) get the SS.  Nikon and Millett may be good deals, SS is a great deal!

I'm not a Nikon fan, many here are; I am a SS fan - have used both, have owned both, really like the SS.

And finally, the BDC question has been asked and answered, check here:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6599&PN=1

Also, to those interested: Zeiss has shipped my Conquest back with target turret for my new Kenton BDC.  I'll be off to the range within the next few days to mount it and re-zero.  There will be pics of the new setup.

Beckham, given your purpose, gear, and needs: skip the Millett and Nikon, buy the SS.  You don't seem to need a variable, given your stated purposes. 

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 23:08

Get a scope capable of the gun  Had triggermortis from a face full of gnats on the flyer. 168 gr Sierra HPBT varget

beckham View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 08:26

Dale,

What scope is that?

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 11:23
NXS 3.5x15--50
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 12:26
The Super Sniper will do up until you strike it rich. Everything else worth considering is over your price range.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
xtreme_jeremy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtreme_jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 13:34

I had a super sniper 16x and loved it! The glass was good enough for what I was doing! It tracked great! I was able to make first round hits on man size targets at over 850 yards. Its definatlly a good scope for the price. I think that 90% of shooters will never out performe this scope.

I just got a new Millett TRS1 and the glass is a bit better then the glass on my super sniper. I think the millett would better suit your needs because you can change the power level.  The first two groups I shot with the TRS mounted on my rifle were 1/2 moa groups. It tracks good as well. It only took two shoots to sight in and one to confirm zero.

There is only one issue I can find with the TRS1 and thats when you are using it at night. If there is a lot of background light (shooting with the moon in the background) I flares a bit and the image is not so clear. Not the best yote hunting rig but If you are only shooting in the daytime then its well worth the moeny. The scope does seem to gather light quite well and performe well at night as long as you are not shooting into the light. It also has lots of moa (150) so you would never need a slanted base.

Either scope will work just fine it all depends on if you really think you need the varible or not.

Jeremy

Edited by xtreme_jeremy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 10:18

Dale, I have the same scope, really like it.

Decent shooting, 'cept for that lonely hole way over there on the left.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 11:44

Had triggermortis from a face full of gnats on the flyer.

Gotta do it--- "its not big enough to cover a gnats ass"

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2007 at 13:13

Dont you just hate that when the guy next to you puts a flier in your perfect target.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Pouge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pouge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2007 at 22:32
Hi all,

I am a newbee here.

I also wanted a scope with all the features, including variable power, lighted reticle, 30mm tube, etc

I had a hard enough time justifying my new DPMS 308 cost to my wife, and had to go with an INEXPENSIVE scope.
But I did not want a CHEAP scope - (there is a difference)

So I had to re-examine what I was going to use the rifle for: Target shooting, because I can only get to the range once a month if I am lucky.  Varmint hunting, would be fun, if I get the time.

Omitting features brought the price down to a tolerable level, and I settled on the Super Sniper 16X scope.

The only issue I noticed so far is the rear focus and the eye relief seemed to push the scope too far forward on the rifle's flat top rail, and the front ring seems to be a little too close to the center of the scope.

If anyone else needs to justify the cost of a DPMS 308, I found that it is cheaper by the pound than my deer rifle:
A-bolt w/Nikon Monarch 3x9: $875 / 7.3lbs = $119/lb
DPMS 308 w/ SS16x: $1400 / 13.8lbs = $101/lb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2007 at 12:20

A .308 rig for varmint hunting?  Killing prairie dogs gets expensive quick!

And yours is the first complaint I have ever seen that eye relief is too much.  If you gotta have a probme, that's a good one to have.

beckham View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2007 at 16:24

I found a Leupold Tactical VARI-X III scope 3.5-10x40mm (model #45266) new in the box for $375.  Is this a good buy?

Edited by beckham
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic