OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best factory load for 7 MAG ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best factory load for 7 MAG ???
    Posted: May/01/2007 at 01:30
Greetings fellow projectile slingers, I recently purchased a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 7mm Remington magnum. I hunt whitetails here in northern Michigan and have always used a .270 The .270 does a great job, and the only reason that I purchased the 7 MAG is because of the new model 77 " Hawkeye" configuration. It just happened to be chabered in 7 MAG. Anyway, enough rambling, my question is this: What would the ideal FACTORY load be? I do not reload so I am limited to what is available in stores or catalogs. I am considering the following loads at this time but would appreciate any input from 7 MAG shooters. Federal Fusion 150 gr. barnes tsx 140 or 160 gr. (wondering if this bullet is to "tough" for deer inthis caliber?) Nosler accubond 160 gr. (same concern)   Any others that anyone has had success with I would love to here about them. Thank you very much!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 06:12

The Remington 150gr Core-Lokt would be a good starting point. It is a good deer bullet that expands at longer ranges and holds up at shorter ranges. It is accurate in most guns.

The only bonded bullets I have used are Trophy Bonded and they are not needed for deer.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 06:15
the fushion is plenty of bullet for whitetail, if you decide to go after elk then use the nosler if you go after brown bear or grizzly or alaskan moose then use the barnes. 140-150 grain bullet is going to be gods plenty out of that mag, but i would mention that i would also see what your gun likes  to shoot, it may not like to shoot the 140's

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2007 at 07:29
Stay with 140-150gr. bullets, then try different loads and see what your rifle likes best.  If you handloaded, I would have some definite recommendations.
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
RED DOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 22:02
 I SHOT A 7 MAG FOR SEVERALYEARS. THIS WAS BEFORE THE BONDED BULLETS AND BALLISTIC TIPS. I SHOT AND LOVED BOTH THE 150 WINCHESTER POWERPOINT AND THE FEDERAL 165 SIERRA GAMEKING, AND WAS VERY WELL PLEASED WITH EACH. THE WINCHESTERS WERE VERY ECONOMICAL AND STILL ARE COMPARED TO THE BULLETS OF TODAY. IF I WAS SHOOTING A 7 MAG TODAY THOUGH I WOULD TRY THE REMINGTON 150 GRAIN SWIFT SCIROCCOS AND SEE HOW THEY GROUPED IN MY GUN. THERE IS NO DOUBT HOW THEY WILL PERFORM ON DEER.
SHORTTRAC
baylor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2007 at 21:28
I love the Remington 150 gr Scirroco.  It is not the cheapest, but it is the most consistent out of my Win Mod 70 Super Grade.  i use it for every thing from pigs to deer and my son used it to take a very nice 360 class elk and downed it with one shot at 100yds. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2007 at 06:29

bricat,

Each individual rifle has its own preference as to which ammo gives the best accuracy, so if you don't reload, I would just buy a variety of ammo and experiment to see which your rifle shoots best.  If you're limiting application to deer, try the 140 - 150 bullets first, but your 7mag may prefer the 160s.   The Fusion is designed for deer sized game; the TSX will expand reliably on deer, especially when driven by a 7mag, and the Accubond is actually a moderately tough "compromise" bullet that is designed to expand fairly easily, yet retain weight.  Any of those bullets are perfectly fine for whitetails. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2007 at 20:01
Hey Bricat........................Congrats on your Ruger M77 Hawkeye purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     I own it`s shorter and very powerful LITTLE brother!!!! Remember????......................Either of the choices given by the others will work...You just need to find out which ammo,,,IN YOUR RIFLE,,, is the MOST accurate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 10:39
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

...if you don't reload, I would just buy a variety of ammo and experiment to see which your rifle shoots best. 

Amen!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic