OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Night Vision help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scope_kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Night Vision help.
    Posted: April/30/2007 at 13:53

for big game season coming up this november i want to get a night vision binocular. the purpose is to spot/identify/track possible targets before dawn break.

i'm no night vision guru, but i know there is a big price gap when going from gen1 to gen2 to gen3 systems. i suspect i only need gen1. my longest attempt shot is 200yds. i would like to spot possible targets out to about 250yds.

i was looking at a Night Owl NOXB5. can anyone suggest something that would meet my requirements. thanks.

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 16:28

ITs very difficult to use NVG to spot and identifie targets when you should shoot them with conventional optics.

The NVG regardless of generation and make is so bright inside that your own night capability gets temporarali destroyed.

So if you are going to use NVG to spot you also needs NVG on the gun.Othervise, stay away from it.

Regards Technika

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 18:20

Just a caution:

I am aware of a number of States that forbid any possession of night-vision equipment while hunting.  I don't know where you live or what the specifics of the law are where you hunt but, you would be advised to carefully research the issue with the appropriate Game and Fish department before you go afield.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Scope_kid View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scope_kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 20:00

as for legal, yes, as far as i know night vision is legal in NY (and i'll double-triple check that), but noted some game can only be taken after dawn, and some can be taken at night using NV.

as for spotting with NV and taking shot with day optics, that's exactly what i want to do. i only wish to use NV to spot/track/identify possible targets.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 01:11

Scope kid

Borrow some equipment and try you'r idea before you spend the money.

The whole idea is close to useless.

You would be better of with a high quality binocular with big frontlens, or a night vision scope.

Mostly NVG equipment of decent money have everything else than decent quality....

Regards Technika

Scope_kid View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scope_kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 08:55

i'm confused. what exactly are NV binoculars used for ?? what is the "G" in NVG ??

aside from what i wanted to used them for, what brands or models do you suggest?

Edited by Scope_kid
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 10:36

Sorry the G is google, so NV is the right designation in you'r case.

The NV binoculars are supposed for observation, but as you'r eyes gets to much adjusted to the very bright light in the NV binocular you will not be able to se the animal in the conventional scope.

So either you stick to night vision or you stay away from it, but the combination betwen the two is not the best.

I have not enogh experience with NV binoculars to have a fixed opinion, but I havent seen any good igoogles below 3000-4000 Dollars and I assume the NV binoculars to be more expensive than that.

Regards Technika

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 13:02

No slam on your English intended Technika but, I think you meant to type goggle (not google.)

NVG is a Night Vision Goggle as opposed to a Binocular.  The goggle is worn on the head much like a ski or scuba mask and allows the wearer to have his hands free for other work.  The binocular is just what it seems: a night vision devise hung by a neckstrap and which requires the user to hold it up to the eyes with their hands.

Edited by lucznik
Scope_kid View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scope_kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 10:50

Technika, i'm not looking for NVG, i want NVB (night vision binocular, just as lucznik has described it). i dont think there is any issue looking through NV before dawn, and then taking the shot after dawn as there will be plenty of light after dawn for conventional scope optics. but i do have to ask, is it possible to use NVG to look through a conventional scope, does NV still work this way (just wondering)?

thus far all the replies to my question have been regarding the use of what i want them for. lets get passed that so hopefully someone can recommend some NVB's to take a look at.

thanks

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 18:25

Scope_kid

I think the trouble you are having getting advice on NV equipment stems from the fact that most of us just don't know much about it. 

As I alluded to previously, where I live and hunt (as well as in other states in the same region) the mere possession of night vision equipment while hunting is strictly forbidden. You can't even have it in a vehicle back at "base camp." The punishments can be pretty severe as well as it amounts to a poaching crime.  It doesn't matter if you wait until after legal light to start shooting either because the law addresses the simple possession of such equipment, not its actual or intended uses. 

Because of this, night vision stuff gets pretty much ignored.

SWFA does have a collection of Night Vision products on the www.riflescopes.com website.  I'm sure you could also give them a call and someone would be happy to give you some direction.

BTW, I am not 100% sure but, I believe the various trophy recording organizations (B&C, P&Y, etc.) also forbid the use of NV gear for hunting any animal that is to be recognized in their books. 

Edited by lucznik
Blade_Zero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade_Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2007 at 15:07

The best resource for information about night vision equipment is http://www.nightvisionforums.com/.

Do a little searching & browsing to find all you need.  When searching click on the last post column rather than the subject column.

Night vision is all about resolution (lm/mm) & light amplification (gain), these parametres determine the effective viewing range of the device.  You are better off with a monocular than a goggle, one eye can remain night adapted, it can also be used as a multi task unit.  Night vision & game animals is a big no-no but it is legal to hunt non-game animals coyotes/hogs with night vision gear. 

Gen1:

$100~$300 effective range 50yds, poor resolution <32 lp/mm because of geometric distortion (fish eye), gain=1000x. 

Best buy: actually a new development from Yukon a monocular that equals the resolution of a gen 2 but not the gain.  It does this via fibre optics to prevent the distortion, this method is commonly known as "Super Gen1 +" up until now it has been quite expensive.  The comparitively lower amplification of GEN 1 devices, can be somewhat compensated for by a long range IR flashlight (ELR) $150.

http://main.yukonopticsglobal.com/product-overview-exelon-3x 50.html  

Gen 2:

$1000 effective range 150yds much better resolution 32~45lp/mm & no fish eye, gain = 20,000x.

Best buy: Dipol D-300 monocular.

Gen3:

$3000 effective range 600yds very good resolution 60lp/mm, gain = 40,000x..

Best buy ITT PVS-14 monocular

You should also budget for an ELR this is a long range IR flashlight, which you will require if you wish to obtain the maximum performance from your NVD irrespective to its generation.

Edited by Blade_Zero
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic