OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX3 vs. Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 15:30

Sry Cheap,

Your absoloutly right and I deeply apologise for my outburst.I guess maybe in my defense that things seemed so quite around here that maybe yall was missin ole "ROOT" and I'd stir tha pot a little.I believe every man's got a right to his opinions whether I agree with them or not.And you right on about all the help I've recieved in this forum and the great people givin it of their own free will so I hope you accept this which is my word for what it's worth that I'm sorry about the outburst.

Keep you powder dry Bud,

Rock

Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your back
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 15:35

No problem. 

Hope you like your scope!! 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 16:01

Hey, Rockman, I saw in your other post where you got the Varmint Hunters reticle.  I'm curious as to why you selected this reticle for your stated purpose on a deer rifle (RE:  your "deer rifle optics upgrade" thread).  I'm assuming you are scoping the same Rem 700 .30-06 as you discussed in a couple other posts, am I correct? 

The VH is a really useful reticle for its intended purpose -- shooting prairie dogs and similar size varmints in good light, but it has VERY thin lines that you'll have difficulty picking up during the prime dawn & dusk low light hours.  Plus, the windage dots and BDC lines will really have limited benefit at typical deer hunting shooting distances.  Not criticizing you, I just thought you should know this, since I have a scope with this reticle.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
338 BAR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338 BAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 16:30
Since 2005 the Marines are upgrading the optics for scout snipers,3-12x50 SCHMITD&BENDER became standard equipment
for all Marine 7.62mm M4oA2 ,M4oA2 and .50 caliber M82A2,M82A3 sniper rifle.
A bad day of hunting it is better than a good day at work !!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 17:14

That last post had  Rootmanslim" feel to it.

Rock, good observation, try the Leu and see what you think.  I've tried them, several tiems, and buy COnquest now.

As I saaid, I have several good friends who shoot Leus and love them.  I don't.  Everyone has an opinion and I can, in good conscience, offer is my own.

Good luck.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 23:00

The 6.5x20 and 3.5x10 vx3 were and still are some of the best scopes leo has ever made. Personally the 4.5x14x50 conguest I had was a piece of kaka. It started to do the 2 steps after about 600 rds. on an AR, the turrets were made of plastic, no choice of reticles, if you were used to dialing in counter clockwise you were in for a big suprize. The best feature was that the side A0 was right on the money and registered the distance as to my eyes and the calibration. This post wants a comparison between a 3x9 and the 3.5x10 which is even further from the equal sign. Perhaps it was a bad scope out of many good ones-- who knows (don't care) sold  and got a mark 4

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 23:51
WOW! Hey everybody, Bricat here. I didn't think that my post would cause so much uproar and dissention amongst the troops Two people (MWYATES and Dale Clifford) both said that they had Conquests that failed to hold their zero. Has anyone had this same experience with a VX3? or are they generally more reliable. Keep the info flowing, Bricat
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 00:36

I've got quite a few Conquest and consider them the best scope this side of $1,000.00.

ranburr

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 10:58

Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

WOW! Hey everybody, Bricat here. I didn't think that my post would cause so much uproar and dissention amongst the troops Two people (MWYATES and Dale Clifford) both said that they had Conquests that failed to hold their zero. Has anyone had this same experience with a VX3? or are they generally more reliable. Keep the info flowing, Bricat

Don't know if you'll get many reviews of a VX III failure.  They are very reliable but just like any man made products you are going to have a failure rate.

One thing to remember when you hear of Conquest problems is that, volume wise, there are more Conquest scopes sold than VX III's.  They are Cabela's top selling scope line and simple percentages say if you produce a product in high volume, you are going to have some returns.  With this being said, I still believe that the Zeiss Conquest is a VERY RELIABLE, CONSISTANT scope and that your chances of getting a lemon are slim.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 20:09
Originally posted by ceylonc ceylonc wrote:

[One thing to remember when you hear of Conquest problems is that, volume wise, there are more Conquest scopes sold than VX III's.  They are Cabela's top selling scope line and simple percentages say if you produce a product in high volume, you are going to have some returns. 

Keep in mind that while this may be true, the Conquest hasn't been on the market anywhere near as long as the VX-III and it's predecessor the Vari-X III, which shares the same internal mechanics.  So, while the Conquest may indeed be currently selling at a higher rate than the VX-III, I'd venture to guess it has a LONG way to go before it matches the number of Vari-X III/VX-III scopes already in use.

Not trying to nitpick your point and I'm in no way criticizing the Conquest, which I consider to be an excellent scope.  I'm just pointing out that reliability concerns shouldn't play a role in selecting one vs. the other.  Despite the Leupy's weaknesses -- and all scopes have pros and cons -- it does have a longstanding, proven reputation for being mechanically sound; in fact its tracking ability has always been considered one of its strengths.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
miket_81 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miket_81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 20:05
I have 2 conquests a 3-9X40 and a 4.5-14X50 and every time would buy them over a leupold. However if I were buying a 3-9 it would be another Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40. Priced right around $250 it's pretty hard to beat and it's close enough optically to the conquest and better than the VX-III IMHO!  

Edited by miket_81
Triple S View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2007 at 17:27

Who assembles the Conquest in the USA? Is it Leupold???

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2007 at 21:15
Great question Triple S, does anyone out there know ? I would love to here some FACTS on this one.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2007 at 07:20
Zeiss has their own assembly plant in the USA. The only Conquest I really care for is the 3-9x40 mainly for price and eye relief.. In a 3-9x40, my absolute second choice would be the 4200 Elite. Optically, they are VERY close.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2007 at 08:03

if you have to decide between zeiss and leupold - definitely zeiss.

but if you look at the kahles KX line, you will quickly forget about both.

#4 reticle and the C series glass and coatings.  it doesn't get a whole lot better.

J

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2007 at 10:28
Originally posted by Triple S Triple S wrote:

Who assembles the Conquest in the USA? Is it Leupold???

During the off season it's the undoccumented migrant farm workers who dont have any brick laying skills.

I still like my VXIII s and Mk4s  just fine.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2007 at 13:32

on the zeiss durability note:

i dropped mine several times (not on purpose) and banged it a few times and it held perfect zero.

i put complete trust in zeiss. although i have been buying other stuff ;)

there's too many choices!!

J

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2007 at 09:00
Thank you everyone for your input. I'm going with a Kahles kx series!                                          Bricat
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2007 at 09:40

Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm going with a Kahles kx series!                                          Bricat

GREAT DECISION!!!

You're going to LOVE that scope!  Let us know what you think when you get it mounted on your rifle.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2007 at 07:42

fine choice, bricat -

let us know how you like it.

J

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic