OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX3 vs. Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX3 vs. Conquest
    Posted: April/30/2007 at 00:39
Greetings everybody out there in optics land. I am looking for some opinions on these two scopes: the Leupold VX3 3.5-10X40 and the Zeiss conquest 3-9X40. Which is the better scope? durability, glass, reliability, light gathering abilities, overall quality, and any other input or experience anyone may have had with either of these two scopes. thanks so much!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 08:25

Been shooting a long time, not a Leupold fan - don't think they are bad, just think others are better for same or less money.  I am a Conquest fan, own several.

Leupold makes a good scope and you will not be displeased with either. 

They run right about the same as far as $$; so, in even money (or anything for the leu over even money), I'd buy the Zeiss without question.

I've owned both, I've shot both extensively, and at this moment, I have several Zeiss in the gun safe and no Leupolds.  I think their product is good, just not good enough for the $$ they want for it.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 12:51

The Conquest is better from the following baselines:

--optical quality;

--tracking/adjustments;

--pricing;

--"light gathering ability";

--overall quality

Nothing against the VX III but optically they're just so-so and price-wise a poor value vs. it's market segment competiton.

However, it IS a Leupold.  To a lot of shooters, that's all they consider...

Best of luck to you & let us know what you decide...

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 13:09

yea, yea, yea I have looked at the Zeiss scopes for years and never bought one, but on the other hand I do have a lot of Leupold scopes and a few others brands. I will admit that Leupold VXIII scopes are costly but I really like some of the reticles they offer, and the reticle choices for Zeiss are quite limited.  Plus the Leupold scopes I have have been quite sturdy.  If you want a lot of value for the money look at the IOR scopes and the Nikon Monarch scopes. If you want a deadly scope  with awesome glass try this one:

IOR2510X42T IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                     IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
SWFA: $699.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 02:51

I would have to agree the Leupold is a nice scope but the Conquest is better. The Leupy would be fine if they lowered their prices a bit, when it is the same price as a Zeiss, Ill take the Zeiss everytime.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 08:50

Ok so the Zeiss has better glass agreed, however the quality of the glass is pointless if you can't hit the deer at 400 yards with a 10 mph wind because you didn't buy the VXIII Leupold with the Boone & Crocket or Varmit reticle that gives you a known hold over point. My point is - we are using a scope to shoot an animal not to photograph it - so even lesser quality glass will often work just fine. Beside that the difference in glass is really quite marginal. I'm quite sure that I can take my 1970 vintage low end Leupold 4x and kill a deer within a thousand yards and the glass in it sucks. Knowing the trajectory of the bullet and how it is affected by wind are far more important than the quality of the glass. There are lots of people who are too cheap to buy products made in the U.S. so now everything is made places that pay their workers lower  wages - ultimately we are cutting our own throats on the trade issue. Sorry but the Leupold is not over priced you are getting something of lasting value for your money.

LEU57155 Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III Riflescope                         Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Boone & Crockett
  • 1"
  • Index Matched Lens System
  • Free Leupold Ballistic Aiming Training CD w/ Purchase
  • Free One-year Membership to Boone and Crockett Club's Associates Program w/ Purchase
SWFA: $549.95
More Info...

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 09:00
So tell me whats wrong with the IOR - great glass - great reticle -  mid size tactical knobs with screw on caps to dial in correction for trajectory and wind drift -  better magnification range -same price range. Just one problem - made in Romania. ( At least it's not China.)

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 09:26
Originally posted by ceylonc ceylonc wrote:

The Conquest is better from the following baselines:

--optical quality;

--tracking/adjustments;

--pricing;

--"light gathering ability";

--overall quality

In general, I agree on optical quality, to include apparent brightness, and perhaps pricing (though this isn't the case with all model configurations), but I would have to disagree that it is superior in tracking and overall quality.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses.  I do think the Conquest offers the better value overall, though Leupy offers a few scopes that I would prefer for certain niche applications, either due to size or reticle selection.  Either will serve you well; I think the best choice pretty much comes down to which combination of features, size, weight, etc. the shooter prefers for a given rifle and application.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 10:16

Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

Greetings everybody out there in optics land. I am looking for some opinions on these two scopes: the Leupold VX3 3.5-10X40 and the Zeiss conquest 3-9X40. Which is the better scope? durability, glass, reliability, light gathering abilities, overall quality, and any other input or experience anyone may have had with either of these two scopes. thanks so much!

I didn't rate the Leupold vs. Conquest with regard to reticle options because the poster never mentioned that this is/was a catagory of concern.  I agree that Leupold wins the reticle options catagory because they do offer a ton of different reticle setups.  However, the original post never mentioned that he needed or wanted anything other that what would be considered standard reticle options (duplex, fine, mildot) and the Conquest line is sufficient in this regard.

From a reliability standpoint, I'm calling it a draw.  In the other catagories that the poster mentioned as important, I still say the Conquest is a better option over the VX III.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 10:29
I took the VXIII off my everyday rifle about 4 months ago and replaced it with a Conquest 3.5-10X44 just to see how I liked it.  The Conquest is great to look through and I like the reticle better.  It doesn't hold zero like the VX III, though.  This rifle is either in my truck or on my four wheeler.  I've had to re zero it twice with the Conquest.  Never had to with the VX III.  I'm changing back to the Leupold.  I'll miss the view through the Zeiss, but it's all about putting a bullet whre I want it to go, and the VX III is superior in that.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 10:34

Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I took the VXIII off my everyday rifle about 4 months ago and replaced it with a Conquest 3.5-10X44 just to see how I liked it.  The Conquest is great to look through and I like the reticle better.  It doesn't hold zero like the VX III, though.  This rifle is either in my truck or on my four wheeler.  I've had to re zero it twice with the Conquest.  Never had to with the VX III.  I'm changing back to the Leupold.  I'll miss the view through the Zeiss, but it's all about putting a bullet whre I want it to go, and the VX III is superior in that.

Interesting experience.  Thanks for sharing.

My Conquest (6.5x20 50mm) gets bounced around quite a bit as well.  I've never had to adjust the zero.  Durability hasn't been an issue and tracking has been superb.  If I adjust from my 100yd zero for a 600yd shot, the adjustments have been spot on and perfectly reset back to 100yds.

Have you thought about sending the scope back to Zeiss?  I'd be willing to bet you just might have gotten a lemon...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 12:09

I'm somewhat confused as to the reticle thing: quality of glass is important but not THAT important; however, reticle is huge?

I've ranged with mildots and a calculator, mildots and a MilDot Master, ranging reticles, and laser rangefinders, and can do all with little difficulty.  I can see utility in the extra hold-overs, but only if they are spot-on - and only if the target is at an exact spot-on hold-over point.

To each his own.  As for me, I'll take the great glass and the simple plex every time.  In my opinion, if I miss the opportunity to shoot one digusting, destructive hog because my glass wasn'ty good enough to pick him out of the backgound, it's not money well spent.

As I said, Leupold makes a good scope, but I like others better (and usually pay less for the others.)  If you want a cool reticle and can use it, great, spend away, buy American, no problem.  As for me, I wear a few USMC tattoos forevermore so my patriotism isn't in question, I avoid Chinese products like the plague, and I scope guns whose entire purpose is killing, not sight-seeing or photographing, killing.

And the post with the Conquest that doesn't hold zero, send it back!  I have owned many, dropped a few, knocked all of them around allot, and never had a Zeiss fail me in any way.

Die, Piggie, Die.

I ranged ol' girl, scoped her, squeezed, and she dropped like a Frenh rifle on 10May1940.

Which brings me to a great point: French rifles are a great deal, buy them: never fired, only dropped once! 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 12:59
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

...In my opinion, if I miss the opportunity to shoot one digusting, destructive hog because my glass wasn'ty good enough...

...As for me, I wear a few USMC tattoos forevermore so my patriotism isn't in question, I avoid Chinese products like the plague, and I scope guns whose entire purpose is killing, not sight-seeing or photographing, killing.

...Die, Piggie, Die.

I ranged ol' girl, scoped her, squeezed, and she dropped like a Frenh rifle on 10May1940.

Which brings me to a great point: French rifles are a great deal, buy them: never fired, only dropped once! 

Rancid, you definitely have a way with words, and your posts are always entertaining, peppered with good, quotable lines!    I definitely share your opinion that feral hawgs were put on this earth to serve as targets for shooters, 'cause best I can tell, they serve no other useful purpose!

My reference to reticles really pertain to niche applications such as the Leupy Varmint Hunters reticle for prairie doggin', a Mildot with smaller dots & lines, etc.  Also, if you want a fixed power, high magnification target scope, Zeiss doesn't offer one.  50-yard parallax rimfire scope?  Nope, Zeiss doesn't have one.  I realize this has nothing to do with the scope choices discussed in this thread, but I'm just not a proponent of the broad, sweeping proclamations that declare "brand A" is always superior to "brand B," no matter what.  This seems to be a common theme anytime the word "Leupold" is uttered.  Even though L is often higher priced than comparable or better alternatives, even that commonly held rule is not always true, depending on individual model comparisons.  There are many factors to consider when selecting a scope besides which one has the absolute best optical performance, for instance, simple length restrictions to clear a rear sight base or quarter rib, etc.  In spite of some of L's shortcomings, one thing they do offer in spades is options.

BTW, as a fellow Patriot, I admire and thank you for your service!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 13:18

I agree: Zeiss isn't, in every possible application and pricerange, better than Leupold.  My point, or what was to be my point, is that leupold isn't what the industry praises it to be: the brand of choice for the informed and discriminating outdoorsman.  I;ve owned a few, I might one day own another, but today, I choose others - not based on brand - based on needs.

Thanx, and I'm glad my years in the "monkey suit" are appreciated.  More importantly, tell the guys over now how much you appreciate their service.  I'm old, my time is long past, they are living the hell each day.  Send them cookies, send them good sun block and bug juice, send them good toilet paper(!!), send them anything and everything you think might be of use or value.  I appreciate your kind words, they appreciate the kind words AND the actions that words become.

Support our troops!  And good toilet paper over there is gold!  If you've ever deployed, you know this to be true.  Swamp-ass is real and it sucks!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 13:24
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Thanx, and I'm glad my years in the "monkey suit" are appreciated.  More importantly, tell the guys over now how much you appreciate their service.  I'm old, my time is long past, they are living the hell each day.  Send them cookies, send them good sun block and bug juice, send them good toilet paper(!!), send them anything and everything you think might be of use or value.  I appreciate your kind words, they appreciate the kind words AND the actions that words become.

Support our troops!  And good toilet paper over there is gold!  If you've ever deployed, you know this to be true.  Swamp-ass is real and it sucks!

Good advice, Rancid!

Ted

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 15:43

Rancid, I too have enjoyed your post. As Ted stated, you have a real way with words...

You've been a great addition here @ Optics Talk. Your commentary and your time in service is very appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 16:02

Thanx to the advice of you fine folks, I've bought a few scopes (and will buy a few more) I would not have otherwise.

I look forward to many more posts, much more discussion, some disagreement, and lots o' fun.

Glad I can bring something to the board worthy of note.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 16:20
Plus, you've got a hilarious handle!
Ted

ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 13:30

IT SEEMS LIKE EVRYONE WANTS TO BASH LEUPOLD FOR IT'S HIGH PRICE AND COMPLEMENT THE GERMAN SCHMIDT.

FACT THE VX111 IN 4.5-14 X 40 WITH DUPLEX COSTS $500       WITH VARMIT  $580

FACT THE CONQUEST IN 4.5-14 X 44 WITH THE Z-PLEX $700     WITH RAPID Z $825

KEEP LICKIN THEM GERMAN BOOTS AND I'LL KEEP MY MONEY TO HOME

THANKS

Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your back
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 13:53
Originally posted by ROCKMAN57 ROCKMAN57 wrote:

IT SEEMS LIKE EVRYONE WANTS TO BASH LEUPOLD FOR IT'S HIGH PRICE AND COMPLEMENT THE GERMAN SCHMIDT.

FACT THE VX111 IN 4.5-14 X 40 WITH DUPLEX COSTS $500       WITH VARMIT  $580

FACT THE CONQUEST IN 4.5-14 X 44 WITH THE Z-PLEX $700     WITH RAPID Z $825

KEEP LICKIN THEM GERMAN BOOTS AND I'LL KEEP MY MONEY TO HOME

THANKS

First off, I'm glad that you have found a deal and a scope that works for you Rocketman.

Congrats! I mean that.

But, why are you talking all this "smack" (in CAPS no less)  to those of us that prefer the Conquest over the VXIII and gave you some good advise??

You were treated very nicely and respectfully by this forum. Were you not?

As far as I'm concerned, if you like the features of the VXIII, you have the Conquest to thank for that.

The VXIII is a Conquest clone, a copy, for the most part, and the Loopie STILL don't offer fixed eye relief like the Zeiss....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic