OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX III ELITE4200 or ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX III ELITE4200 or ?
    Posted: April/29/2007 at 11:27

Here I go again.

Whats it gonna be?

LEUPOLD VXIII 4.5 X 14 - 40

BUSHNELL ELITE 4200  4 X 16 - 40

BURRIS SIG  4 X 16 - 44

Going on my REM MODEL 700 IN 30-06

All opinions will be concidered.

Thanks,

Rock

Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your back
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2007 at 12:24

well if you want a plex recticle i would say go with bushnell.great scope at a good price but limited on reticle choice.

leupy good scope but over priced in my opinion.has more recticle choices though.

never had any dealing with a burris ,but it looks like a good scope decent price and has several reticle choices.

just my thoughts.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2007 at 17:34
catshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2007 at 20:05
Any of those scopes you listed is a winner. If you hunt in the rain, sleet, snow etc. the Bushnell gets the nod. I've hunted with the 3200 & 4200 Elites in those conditions they are hands down the best when the weather turns to crap.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 08:37

Conquest should be on that list.

After that, its all about what you want to spend and what you need.

Saw the other topic, sorry to hear.  Take length into consideration when you choose this one. Long action 30-06 is a different game than .223WSSM - but I guess you know this.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 10:06

Rockman, I just re-read your first topic from the beginning.  I hunt Uvalde, Concan, and the surrounding area each year - sometimes with rifle, sometimes I hit the damn things with a car, quite unintentionally.

With that, I would definitely recommend something with at least 6 as the lowest power, probably closer to 3.  If you stalk, shots can happen at 50 yards or less; likewise, on a hill, a deer may be 300 yards off.  In my experience, you want low-end power more than high.

You know about the annual raffle at Garner State Park for Axis?  Well worth the effort!

The rifle I usually carry out there is a Tikka .270 with a Zeiss 3-10.  The eye relief is great, the optics are crystal clear, the scope is durable (and covered by a very good warranty), and the whole rig moves well and is light enough to move well through the scrub.

Good luck finding what you need.  I know that country well, I hunt it often, and I prefer Zeiss: better glass, better features, better scope - in my opinion.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 20:20
Go with the 4200 Elite ...I  have 5 of them and they have performed flawlessly ( mounted on 2 - 300 WBY's, 1895SS in 45/70, 30-06 Remington 7400, and a 12 ga Encore slug gun ).. I believe that the 4200 may be the best value in optics available . Plus, the Rainguard is a great feature.
rimfireman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rimfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 21:12
I just ordered the 4200 6-24 mil dot for my cz 453 17hmr. Reading all the positive makes me feel it was the right decision. It is a big scope world out there, and hard to choose when there is a lot of money involved!!!  The 4200 from what I have learned holds value and has quality optics.
ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 13:11

OK - GOT'ER DONE BOYZZZZZZ

NEW IN BOX LEUPOLD VXIII  4.5-14 X 40 VARMIT RETICLE MATTE BLACK 1" TUBE

SWFA PRICE $580.00 NEW

I PAID $468.00 SHIPPED NEW IN THE BOX.

NOW FOR ALL THE ZEISS CONQUEST FANS OUT THERE WHO THINK THE PRICES ARE COMPARABLE ON COMPARABLE MODEL SCOPES NEED TO LOOK AT THE SWFA PRICES ON MY SCOPE COMPARED TO THE CONQUEST 4.5-14 X 44 WITH THE PLAIN JANE Z-PLEX RETICLE  $699.95

THE SAME LEUPPY WITH DUPLEX IS $200.00 CHEAPER.WANT THE ZRF RETICLE $750 OR THE

RAPID Z RETICLE $825

PEOPLE KEEP TELLING ME LEUPPYS ARE HIGH?HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

GREAT QUALITY THAT IS COVERED END TO END FOREVER NO QUESTIONS?

I'LL TAKE THE EXTRA BITE

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 15:50

Rockman,

There's certainly nothing wrong with your scope choice, but I have to be honest with you when I say the Varmint Hunter is not an ideal reticle for deer hunting!  It is an extremely thin reticle that you will lose easily in very low light.  Plus, its overall design will provide little practical benefit in the typical scenarios you encounter while deer hunting.  For long range varmint shooting, it's great, but it is intended for shooting prairie dogs in good light conditions.  The "plain Jane" plex is by far a better choice because you can see it much easier during some of the best hunting times -- dawn and dusk.  You also don't really need 14X or 16X on the top end for deer hunting, which typically involves short to medium range shots, mainly because you lose FOV at the lower end.  Therefore, you are paying extra money for magnification that doesn't really benefit you most of the time when deer hunting.  However, 4.5-14 is not too excessive if your shots primarily tend to be longer and you don't do any close-in brush hunting and stalking.  Even so, 4.5X on the low end is workable for most close range encounters -- IF you remember to keep the power set all the way down when close quarters hunting.  In short, you selected a good scope...for shooting prairie dogs, rockchucks, ground squirrels and such.  I don't want to sound harsh, but I feel we would be doing you a great disservice if this wasn't mentioned.  That way, you could always return the scope and replace it with a more suitable model.  If you want the Leupold VX-III, I would suggest the 3.5-10X40 or even the 2.5-8X40 with duplex reticle, which would be a far more useful scope for "all-around" big game hunting with an -06.

However, it's your money.

Good luck, and good hunting!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 17:27

Well Dude,

To tell you the truth I wanted a boone&crockett but I was watchin them in e-bay a long time and my three choices for the money I could spend came down to all same powers which is what I wanted but one was a duplex in gray which I didn't think would look good lol one with the fine duplex and the varmit all close to the same price so I opted for the one that carried the most value.My thinking was this could be a good excuse ta get that new remington varmiter I been flitin with but don't tell momma.hehehe

I noticed someone was shottin holes in the ventilated stock though.Sure looks cool.

Thanks for the input.

Rock-steady

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 08:45

Rockman,

If you have plans to get a varmint rifle anyway, then I would advise keeping your 4.5-14X40 with the VH reticle and use it for the new rifle, since you did get a good deal on it.  It would make an excellent varmint scope, and you'll like the VH reticle for that use.  The B&C reticle has thicker plex posts than the VH does, plus its thicker posts extend further toward the center of the reticle than the VH posts do, so the B&C is a much more suitable deer hunting reticle.  However, I would still personally prefer either a traditional plex, #4, or similar reticle.  When it comes to big game hunting reticles used in traditional big game hunting conditions, I'm just a believer that simple is better.  When the moment of truth arrives and you're looking at that buck of a lifetime through the scope, the last thing you need is multiple, tiny lines and dots that are hard to pick up in dim light, or second-guessing which holdover point to use.  A simple reticle with bold posts surrounding the thinner center crosshair is easier to pick up in low light and at the distances the vast majority of deer are shot at (200 yds and under), you don't need a BDC reticle.

I know where you're coming from in not volunteering too much information about the cost of your toys to your wife.  I suspect mine also adheres to the same code with respect to her clothes purchases, so I guess we're even.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 12:05

Rifle Dude is right again.Went to the range yesterday.Was on paper at 50 right out of the box.Last 2 three shot groups were both sub moa(sweet).That was with the Hornady 150 grn light mags.But,them crosshairs is awfull thin as you said.

Any varmit hunters out there.LOL

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 15:02

Rock,

The VH reticle is an excellent long range small varmint reticle, especially for shooting prairie dogs.  Those thin lines allow for really precise aiming at small targets/long range, but only in good light conditions.  It's just not a good reticle choice for big game hunting, since the best hunting times are early and late, in fading light.  If you're still thinking about getting the Rem varmint rifle you mentioned, that would be a good scope to top it with.

Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic