OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How many do you own?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: How Many Pairs of Binoculars do you currently own?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.56%]
9 [23.08%]
8 [20.51%]
3 [7.69%]
18 [46.15%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many do you own?
    Posted: April/26/2007 at 20:37

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Murphy.177 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 14:50
I dont own any at the moment.  
Master Debater
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 15:51
I currently own six.

One Barska 30x80 X-Trail giant porro

One Burris 10x50 Full Field porro

One Garrett Optical Gemini 20x80 giant porro

One Pentax 16x60 PCF WP aspheric porro

Two Pentax PCF WP II aspheric porros, 12x50 & 20x60

Edited by Bird Watcher
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 16:07

Let's see, after the most recent paring down I believe I am down to the following four:

• Bushnell Elite 10x43
  • Bushnell Legend 10x26
  • Pentax DCF MC 8x22
  • Pentax DCF MC II 8x25

It seems so weird to have such a limited selection from which to choose.  I just don't know what to do with myself...

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 16:41
lucznik,

Would/have you ever consider(ed) a 6x or 7x?

Edited by Bird Watcher
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 17:31
5 full size or medium, one is for sale, a porro
3 compact
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 18:46

5+ at the moment.

Leupold WR Yosemite 6x30

Nikon E 7x35

Nikon Sportstar II 8x20

Nikon Sportstar IV 8x25

Vortex Razor 8x42

Vortex Viper 8x42

Meopta Meostar 8x42

Zeiss FL 7x42

...and a big honkin pair of 10-30x60 Galileo porros that have been gathering dust for a few years now. The 8x30 Yosemites and 7x35 Action EXs are out on loan.

Frank
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 20:05

Over 100, but it's only 5-7 that i frequently use.

Regards Technika

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 20:39

Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

lucznik,

Would/have you ever consider(ed) a 6x or 7x

6x - No, at least not for me.  I have considered picking up a couple of Leupold 6x30 Yosemites for my sons.

7x - My dad owns a 7x42 porro-prism Brunton Eterna that is really quite nice. Its only drawback really, is its relatively large size. I have spent a fair amount of time behind this binocular and I can readily see why some people like the lower magnifications.  In truth, my dad prefers the low-powered magnifications for general glassing and the only reason he uses an 8x now is because the Pentax DCF WP that he got to replace this Eterna as his primary hunting binocular was/is not offered in 7x. 

My problem with 7x binoculars is that I often (read usually) glass at fairly long range.  From my doorstep I can glass a herd of resident antelope on a hillside a few miles away. With 7 or 8x binoculars, I can find the animals and see that they are there.  With 10x, I can distinguish the bucks from the does. (A good spotting scope then allows for evaluating the relative size of the bucks' horns.)  I guess you could just call me a magnification junkie.  Spending a lifetime unable to see one's own hand clearly at arms length without eyeglasses will do that to a guy.

Given the opportunity, I would be willing to give 7x a more thorough chance at winning me over and I even almost purchased a 7x42 Bushnell Discoverer not long ago for that very purpose.  In the end though, I overcame the temptation as right now, I'm just trying to save up enough to buy a good spotting scope.

Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

I think a 30mm or 32mm would kind of round things out for your collection.

I generally don't care much for the 30+mm class of binoculars.  They aren't small enough to be much of an advantage over the larger 40+mm binoculars (i.e. they won't fit into a trouser pocket) but, their smaller objective lenses do permit less light to pass through.  Actually, my 10x43 Elite is almost the exact same size as the 32mm Swarovski EL. When I want to carry a smaller glass, I want a truly smaller glass, not a compromise in-between size.

Also, the 30+mm class of optics (at least the ones I might be able to find a way to afford) tend to suffer from fairly short eye relief. This makes them less than ideal in my book. 

Edited by lucznik
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 22:57
lucznik,

Thanks for your response.

I also prefer viewing through higher magnifications because my subjects are much smaller. When I look at a bird from varying distances I want to see detail and size. If my subject looks like a house fly at under 100', you can imagine what it will look like when feet turn into yards.

This is why I have everything from 10x to 30x in my porro prism binoculars.

Speaking of spotting scopes, I have several eyepieces for mine, and am currently maxed out around 208x.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Cats.html   

Edited by Bird Watcher
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2007 at 23:27

Bird Watcher,

What Cat scope do you have?

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2007 at 07:20

I rarely use over 7-8X as mostly of the time i use the binocular to gain ligth, to be able to see in poor light.

But i have a few 10 and 15X that I use sometimes but the FOV is so much less that I often dislikes it.

Regards TEchnika

zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2007 at 12:56

zeissOem2

zeissOem2

Somet 25x100 (zeiss 25x100)

Zeiss DF 7x50

Zeiss 7x50B classic

Hensoldt 10x50 SF 14

Leidolf 6x30

opticron 10 x42

zeiss EM34

zeiss Nedinsco

zeiss 3x12B

Edited by zeissoem2
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 17:37
I got my Nikon Actions back, took about a month. I gut a new eye cup on the left, it was poor from the start. I kind of like them now, maybe I will keep them. They checked the alignment as well, no charge. They were counted in my original post.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 18:40
In my case, it changes all the time since I keep on buying something new and selling something old.  Right now I have the following:

Meopta Meostar 7x42
Minox BD 7x42 BR
Minox 6.5x32 IF
EO Platinum Ranger 6x32
Fujinon FMTR-SX 8x30
Sightron S2 compact 8x25

I have Swarovski SLC 7x42 on the way and a couple of 10x42 binoculars (Monarch and Minox BD BL) that were sent to me for testing and I do not own.

Everything except for Fuji, Meopta and Swarovski should be gone within the next 3-4 weeks though.

ILya
boatammo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2023 at 23:14
7 total
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2023 at 06:16
Wow! Thread resurrection!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2023 at 09:24
Yeah, it has been a while and I may have to change my response.  I see about a dozen or so from where I am sitting, so there is probably double of that hidden in various drawers and boxes.

ILya
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2023 at 21:40
Five

7x42
8x30
8x42
10x42 
10x50
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic