OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for win 70 358

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOATBUM101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for win 70 358
    Posted: April/26/2007 at 17:29
Need a scope for a M70 in 358W.Rifle will be primarly used for large critters in heavy cover.200yds would be max for this & most would be much shorter.Rifle does kick,especially w/ 250gr loads.Am thinking along the lines of 1.5-6 and would prefer a large objective.Most shooting will be done in dim light & less than pleasant conditions.Need something tough,bright & clear.I personally would prefer #4 recticle.Suggestions?
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 17:55

i dont know how much you want to spend but i just looked at the sample list so heres a few i would look at.

kahles c 1.5x6x42     $899

kahles american hunter  2x7x36  $450

zeiss diaviari 1.5x6x42 $999

these are very nice scopes and priced accordingly.out of these i would prefer the zeiss.

BOATBUM101 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOATBUM101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2007 at 10:24
I agree the Kahles & Ziess are nice scopes,but a little pricey for my pocket.If I had that kind of $$$$$ the Zeiss or S&B would be the ticket.Any other suggestions?
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2007 at 14:03

sightron makes a 1.5x6x42 thats a dandy little scope .i have a sightron ll 3x9x42 and really have no complaints considering price.im not sure if they offer this with #4 reticle though.

catshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2007 at 22:32
Bushnell 3200 2x-7x is an excellent scope for the money. The rainguard really works and the other high end scopes  mentioned don't have it.
kuntao View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2007 at 23:22

Hello

New to this forum but thought I'd give my 2 cents for a change. Whenever I hear the question of scoping a rifle for use in heavy cover my first response is why. Unless you have definite sight problems I feel you are at a big disadvantage scoping a rifle that is to be used in this manner. If you feel you must have a scope then go with a good one with a wide field of view. Meopta makes a great scope for this purpose. A 1x4 power scope with a field of view of over a 100 feet at a hundred yards at 1 power. At 4 power this scope is more then adequate for any big game animals out to 250 yards or more.

Remember the higher the powered scope the more important it is to have a rock solid support. If your shooting off-hand, high magnification will give the impression that you can't keep the cross hairs on target. Nothing looks more rediculous then to watch a hunter run to a tree for support. The 9 power setting on his scope is magnifying all his movement x9 and he will usually miss.   Food for thought   

miket_81 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miket_81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2007 at 22:28

Hate to tell you but you will never find a good scope for that gun you better just selll it to me and let it be my worry.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2007 at 22:55

Originally posted by BOATBUM101 BOATBUM101 wrote:

I agree the Kahles & Ziess are nice scopes,but a little pricey for my pocket.If I had that kind of $$$$$ the Zeiss or S&B would be the ticket.Any other suggestions?

What price limit are you trying to stay within?  If we know this, we can narrow down the options more easily. 

I do think you are on the right track magnification-wise for the rifle and shooting distances mentioned.  A 1.5-6 or 2-7 should be perfect, as they combine extra large field of view with plenty of magnification.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic