OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Assorted binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assorted binoculars
    Posted: April/23/2007 at 19:33
I have gotten rid of most of my poor binoculars.

Now I have one fairly good pair of Zeiss, some Monarchs, a similar 8x32, some pocket reverse porros. Even a Store Brand, cant say the store, 8x32 that is always in the car, cost me 120 and is phase coated.

Now that spring birding is in full swing, I don't seem to bother too much. I will go 8x or 10x depending on the situation.

I have become much less possessed about optics. If it works and does what I need it for, that's pretty much it.

I was going to get to a review of the Zeiss, but have been lazy. The Zeiss is as sharp as the Monarch in the middle, that counts. Other than that, the view is pretty even towards the edge. I find that most of your viewing is toward the middle anyway. It is nice to have less distortion. The eye cups in the Zeiss need to be in a bit to get full fov.

A 9x32 with fov of 360 would still get me excited.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 18:05

Keep wishing for that 9x32 and you may eventually get your wish Tero.

I am glad to see you are curbing your binocular urges. I am attempting to refine my selection as well.

Frank
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 18:50
Yeah, right. Was it me who coined binocular urges on BF?
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 20:33
Tero,

Why is your Zeiss only 'fairly good'?
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 21:17
Good question Tero. I would like to hear that response as well. Too high expectations?
Frank
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2007 at 20:50
The Zeiss is as good a binocular as I have had, for optics. I don't know really, it has a few faults I am getting used to . The eye cups are less than ideal. There is some glare with the sun coming from certain angles, perhaps partly due to those eye cups again. My Monarch is better with glare, stray light. And it is lighter. The 10x30 Conquest is not really competitive with a 10x42 Monarch so I had to go for the 10x40.

I could have gone for the Nikon LX 10x32, but I think I actually don't want a 10x32. The LX 10x42 is out of my budget.

I may wait some years before any new moves. Maybe a 8.5x by then. Who knows.

I think I will be OK with the Zeiss, but it will take more getting used to than necessary. The whole Zeiss set needs a redisign of eye cups and external parts. Actually, the feel is OK, so mainly the eye cups. With glasses, they are about the same as the Monarch with glasses.

Edited by Tero
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2007 at 16:20
I went out to the woods with the *unnamed* 8x32. I found it was all I needed. Worked pretty well in shade. I had a 9x25 reverese porro for comparison. It was dimmer, less sharp, and the birds were barely bigger. Now, if someone made a quality 9x32 roof prism, I still think that would suit me better.
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2007 at 19:51
After a couple of months I am getting used to Conquest 10x40, except the weight. I liked the Monarchs, and it was difficult to leave them as they had a major "used to it" factor and light weight going for them. I still only take the Monarchs on water.

Now I start seeing the Zeiss as slightly sharper.
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2007 at 09:15
My 9x25 Travelite was sold, I still have the ProStaff 9x25.

I may be looking for an 8x42 roof  finally. Then I will sell my only (8x40) porro.

Bushnell 8x42 may be OK, weight should be under 25 oz.

Edited by Tero
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2007 at 12:21
Got Vortex Diamondback. I have thirty days to check it out. The Actions are on sale at eBay for 58 dollars. You can search under

Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 Binoculars

if you are shopping eBay.

Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2007 at 20:32
Diamondback was very promsing, but sent it back for some dimness issues. I have 10x binoculars that have brighter more vivid colors. Clarity was OK in good light.

So now I still need my fairly good 8x with 400ft view. I actually have one, but will need two on some occasions.

Edited by Tero
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2007 at 21:24
The Action EX 8x40 sold for $58. Nikons have some resale value.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic