OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sighting in the Leupold ballistic reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gube204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sighting in the Leupold ballistic reticle
    Posted: April/22/2007 at 20:49

Just sighted in my 204 with the new Leupold VXL 6.5 - 20 x 56 extreme varmint reticle.

A bit confused in regards to using the additional aiming points at different power settings. As per the instructions, I am supposed to have a 200 yd zero and because I am using the extreme varmint, I am supposed to have it set all the way to 20 when sighting in. Then I should have aiming points for 3, 4, 5, and 600 yds (roughly).

My question is if I try to sight in on a sod poodle out at 400 yds and I get mirage at 20 power and have to crank back down to probably 10 to 15 (which is very realistic), will the additional aiming points still be the same. It does not appear that way to me. Is there a chart available that can be used for the different power settings for use of the extra aiming points.

Savage Vaporizer
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 21:44

Boy this should rekindle the FFP and SFP debate. again. Is the extreme different than the others, usually the triangles are used, not max power. As I reacall the 6.5 is somewhere around 12x and the triangle is on 16, this alone will take care of your problem. Usually the max. powers are only used to determine the range of the target, on the lower grid, or post or which ever scope. Because the reticle lines are not evenly spaced or progressive the drop is built in at that range. Since the magnification is increased at proportion, but the subtension of the reticle always stays the same it can be recalibrated, usually not necessary with varmit, and definitely not with a 204, or at least the two I have. As a rule of thumb, at ranges from 600 out, a decrease in power will raise the point of impact, which is difficult to watch unless using really high mags and the effect becomes less noticable at lower. Thus going from say 32 to 20 is much more noticable than say going from 18 to 6.

If you have the time and really get into it. get the load velocity go to www.eskimo.com get your drop chart , then test the loads against the actual scope settings, and recheck with dial in. This is usually to far for most shooters and the reason why Leo built the BAS in the first place (so people wouldn't have to)l.

By the way-- great choice on scopes

I use a 4.5x14 on a Kimber pro varmiter and love it.

gube204 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gube204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 03:39
Thanks for the reply Dale. At the back of the instruction booklet they list another way to sight it in. Set up a large target and shoot a group at it from 500 yds away using the main crosshairs (200 yd zero) on the target. Impact will be significantly lower. Take a black marker and make a circle around the group of bullet holes and fill in the circle. Go back to the 500 yd mark and place the reticle back on the initial target spot. Now adjust the magnification untill the 500 yd hold over is in the center of the black dot that you made with the felt marker.
This can be checked at all of the hold over distances.
I would imagine that by looking through the scope at the two reference points and changing the power, one could get a pretty good feel of where those hold over points will be at at the lower magnifications. I have a lot of testing to do.
Savage Vaporizer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic