OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Saiga AK 47

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saiga AK 47
    Posted: April/21/2007 at 15:55

I was looking at assault type weapons, I do not own any, but got interested today, when I went to a local gun shop that just opened.  The prices are quite high.  Just looking around, I stumbled on this version of the AK 47, which I can get BNIB for 300 dollars.  I researched it on the net and it got favorable reviews.  Does anybody have any personal experience or recommendations?  I do not want to spend alot of money and this seems to fit the bill.  I can get it in a .223 (preferable) or 7.62x39.  Thanks guys.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 15:58
the only ak i have dealt with was a norinco that a buddy of mine had he had a 90 round snail for it and it was fun to shoot it was 7.63x39 but it was fun and reliable not the most accurate round in the joint but it would kill coyotes inside 100yds with open sites rather consistantly
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 17:58
Thanks pyro6999.  By the way.  You have to invite me to bear hunt with you.  Not to subtle of a hint.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 20:17
dude put in we will go!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 12:15

You may want to check that they use normal AK magazines.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 12:27

Dolphin, do those rifles have the sporterized replacement stock with the 20' barrel?

I like the standard version myself and it depends on what you want to do with it. You can still find various pistol gripped guns with original wood furniture around. Romanain guns are a good choice and are close to being the real McCoy. The 7.62x39 is still a good choice, also. It's as good as the 30.30 for deer and ball ammo is super cheap.

Ditto on the magazines, too. Good info, Silver.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 12:50

That's why I did not get one last week.

My last AK was years ago.  It did not last too long.  It had an extra hole in the receiver, that the ATF sent me a letter, asking I sent it back to the importer. I took the thing to the range and could not hit crap with it.  Hmm... training problem? So I took a gen-u-ine Russian grad student to the range with me to see how the Red Army did things. I still had problems hitting a pie plate paper target at 25 yards.  My pistols were all out grouping the thing... The Russian was BRAGGING what a good shooter it was.   I sent it back and got a brand new gun in trade, and that went on the consiment shelf.

I am in the mood to give AKs a second chance.  My goal is for the gun to be used at 20 to 150 yards.  The main goal is to be able to saw up a car door.  I am thinking underfolder to make the thing easier keep in the jeep.  Suggestions welcome,

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 13:19
I have been to the AK websites and the rifle got good reviews.  Yes it does come with sporterized plastic stock, I guess, so as to make it look less like an assault weapon.  The company website describes it as a hunting rifle.  All the website reviews describe it as well made with about 3MOA accuracy at 100 yards in the 223 version.  I looked at the Colt, S&W and Bushmaster ARs and a local gunshop this weekend and price wise, they are just out of my league for that type of rifle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 13:47

The receiver is Russian and that is a good thing. In .223 it should be good for plinking and the occasional pest. I have used calibers that large for the yard invaders and it is more than enough, darn coons. I wonder who is doing their barrels.

Here is a good site with a lot of info

http://www.ak-47.us/

My preference for the other types is from an interest in service rifles. I think from a shooting point you can have a ton of fun with this stick.

These guys have good prices on both 5.56 and 7.72x39. They have always been good to me.

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 14:07

The best AKs are Galils made in Israel, (and possible the best made rifle)  the worst are norincos made in china. Everything else is inbetween and depends on market conditions. Really take a close look at the sporterized stock models. AK were designed for pistol grips, and the grip on the straight sporters in unatural, being very long from the trigger finger to were the gripping thumb wraps around the "pistol grip". Make sure you can live with this, I couldn't, also with a mag in the leverage to hold the weapon up is lost and the forward weight puts additional strain on the wrist  -- the saiga comes in different calibers as you have noticed, and also a 410 shotgun. They are "mid-line" in quality - definitely above the MAC or norincos but below Maadi, Arsenal or some of the Romanians. If you get a folder make sure it folds right or under as it will not interfere with the safety. Reg ak stocks are short, so if yu get a pistol grip, trade out or make sure it comes with the 1 inch longer  "american model". Take a small triangular file and "clean" up the rear sight notch which appears dirty, because of bad castings. The arsenal from bulgaria are considered the best and used by the "spetsnaz" during the chesnian uprising (so I was told and don't hold me to spelling). They are milled rather than stamped, becoming very difficult to get, and the Las Vegas importer has now gone to stamped.

almost any ak will engage 8"  plates to 200 yds as fast as AR formats. Wolf HP will penetrate 13 inches of wet newspaper with a gapping 3 inch hole completely thru, while a .223 military will fragment in the same media at about 8 inch.

Any ak for $300 is a frickin steal- but the Saiga is especially so.

milled arsenal with Eotech. and 7.6x 39 in Ar format. sportierized Galil (Haddar) 308

Edited by Chris Farris
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2007 at 14:53
Thanks for the info DC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic