OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

40/42mm illuminated scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordSoth21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 40/42mm illuminated scopes?
    Posted: April/20/2007 at 14:57

I've been looking for 40/42mm illuminated hunting scopes and so far I've only been able to find the IOR 2.5-10x:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-2788-291-ior-25-10x42-hunting-30mm-ri fle-scope.aspx

Are there any others? I'm looking at getting into hog hunting (which happens sometimes at night since they are nocturnal) and I want an illuminated dot to help see the point of aim. But I don't need a big illuminated reticle cluttering up my view like I would get with an tactical scope. I've seen a lot of bigger objective scopes with illuminated dots (mostly 50mm and 56mm) but that will force me to mount the scope high off the bore and I want a good cheek weld. Any suggestions?

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 17:05

Welcome, LordSoth21!

What is your budget, and how much magnification do you want?  Most of the illuminated 42mm variable scopes I'm aware of are in the 1.5-6X magnification range.  Based on my limited experience with IOR, I would imagine the scope you mention would be a quality piece of gear.

I just posted a review of the S&B 1.5-6X42.  You can see pics of it mounted on a rifle here:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6562&PN=1

I certainly agree with having scopes mounted as low as possible, which is one reason why I prefer lower magnification (no more than 2.5-10X variables), more modest objective diameter scopes on a big game hunting rifle.

Let us know what you decide.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
LordSoth21 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordSoth21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 18:01
The budget is roughly $500-$700- my uncle is the one with the hogs and the land, and he won't be ready for me until christmas so I have some time to save up for it. I'm not really shure what magnification I should get for hog hunting. I'm guessing I need something like 1.5-6x, 3-9x, or 2.5-10x. No more than that. I don't think I can afford S&B though. The only one of the mega euro-brands that I think I can afford is the Zeiss Conquest line, but I do not think they sell a 42 or 40mm scope with an illuminated reticle or dot. The reason I want the dot is that I'm afraid I won't be able to see the crosshairs well enough even if I have a light. What do you think would be best for hog hunting?

Edited by LordSoth21
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 20:11
I think the IOR scope you selected should work great, just based on the 1 example of IOR scope I own.  It fits nicely in your stated budget as well.  I think IOR is an excellent value for what you get optically.  You are correct that you don't need high magnification for hog hunting.  I think you're on the right track with the type of reticle.  A simple lit dot will be seen very well in low light, yet won't wash out the target image with too much light.  A lit reticle is especially helpful because feral hogs are often black or very dark colored, and you can lose the reticle easily against a dark animal in low light.  I do a lot of hog hunting with rifle and bow, and if I'm hunting them at night, I usually select a night with either a full moon or fairly bright moon, which provides enought light for good optics.  I've also hunted them using an LED light mounted on a post near bait of some sort, a very effective method.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 23:17

I recently acquired the IOR 2.5-10 Tactical which I think is similar to the hunting model you are looking at,except for the target turrets and MP8 reticle. I mounted it on an AR-15 Flattop in Badger Ultra-High rings. Cheekweld to stock is absolutly perfect for this platform. As for the scope, I think it is optically excellent, but I haven't shot it yet,so I can't speak about it's repeatability,etc.  It is bright and clear, razor sharp edge to edge. The one I got has a front focal plane reticle which I thought would help prevent range estimation errors caused by ranging with the scope set on the wrong magnification, although it is really too small to use below about 4x magnification.

I've read reviews here about IOR's illumination system being too bright for any use when set above 3 or 4 (of 11 settings),and generally agree. However the lower settings are perfect when illumination is necessary,and the higher ones may come in handy as the battery weakens over time? Now then, having said that, I'm not sure that a heavy German-type hunting reticle ever really needs ANY illumination when built into a bright scope. Based on my very limited experience in nocturnal shooting, I do not believe you need as high a magnification as you indicate at the top end. You definitly NEED quality glass, a wide field of view and a stout,simple reticle.You are wise to mount it low.( More specifically, you have to mount it wherever you can see through it instantly when you shoulder your rifle with a solid cheekweld. This simply cannot be overstated, although it must be mentioned that high rings can be used with great success in this regard IF the rifle's comb is raised or padded appropriately.)

By the way, great posts Rifle Dude...and good luck LordSoth21

338 BAR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338 BAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 16:41
In your price range there is a model from Sightron SII 3-9x40 IR (illuminated reticle) I think it might be discontinued I'm not
sure or look at Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 fire fly or the new model Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 !!! with ILLUMINATED DOT.
A bad day of hunting it is better than a good day at work !!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 20:14
  Also, if you are not terribly adamant about the 40/42 objective thing, Meopta has a few illuminated dot models that may work very well for you. I have read rave reviews about their optical quality. Never met one myself though... 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic