OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ELITE 4200 3-9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELITE 4200 3-9
    Posted: April/15/2007 at 20:30
Does anyone know why the 3-9x40 elite 4200 isn't listed on the Bushnell website?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2007 at 02:48
SC sportsman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC sportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2007 at 04:58

I have no idea.  I was wondering the same thing when I bought mine a few months ago.  The only thing I can figure is that its a fairly new model and they just haven't updated their website.

I wouldn't worry about it though.  It seems to be of the same quality as my other 4200s and the price is right.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2007 at 14:59

Bushnell really shot themselves in the foot when they released the 3-9x40 Elite 4200 because they could not answer the question, "why is it so much less expensive compared to the 2.5-10x40 Elite 4200?"  Their reason for making it was simply a marketing decision that was not thought out too well.  Competitors, magazines, on line reviews and consumers would always compare 3-9x40's side by side.  This left out Bushnell's signature 4200 product.  So the first step was to make a 3-9x40 in their top branded line up.  First problem for them now is how to sell a 3x erector (3-9x) 4200 vs. a 4x erector 4200 (2.5-10x).  Only way this can be done is on price point.  So now they have a scope that will compare very well in side by side comparisons and on paper.  The second problem they encountered was trying to explain all this to their dealers and the public, which they never did.  Instead they just try to pretend that it does not exist, which is why its not on their site or in their catalog.  Sales slipped in both the 4200 mid power scopes and in the 3200 mid power scopes.  I'm sure the next move is to pull it completely.

Bushnell is currently owned by investment bankers and they are following the same path that Simmons, Weaver, Redfield and tasco went down.

jkll View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2007 at 15:54
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-r ifle-scope.aspx

This one?

You've got it. Now show it to me on the BUSHNELL website.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2007 at 16:56
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

So now they have a scope that will compare very well in side by side comparisons and on paper.  The second problem they encountered was trying to explain all this to their dealers and the public, which they never did.  Instead they just try to pretend that it does not exist, which is why its not on their site or in their catalog.  Sales slipped in both the 4200 mid power scopes and in the 3200 mid power scopes.  I'm sure the next move is to pull it completely.

BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2007 at 21:28
Cheap Trick, is this the 3x9 to buy for a normal guy with a 3 kids and a wife budget?  Other options would be the Burris Fullfield II, the Burris Signature, or the Zeiss Conquest. 
BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2007 at 21:32

Sorry, I should have listed a little more detail. 

3-9x, with a fairly low profile

99% Central TX whitetail, with the hope of going somewhere more exotic

Sitting on a .300 H&H

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2007 at 03:20

Originally posted by BobH BobH wrote:

Cheap Trick, is this the 3x9 to buy for a normal guy with a 3 kids and a wife budget?  Other options would be the Burris Fullfield II, the Burris Signature, or the Zeiss Conquest. 

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1525-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle- scope.aspx

My friend, I'd go with the Conquest.

The Conquest gives you a generous 4" fixed eye relief, versus the 3.3 on the 4200.

I like the glass of the Conquest a little better than the 4200 also, but either scope would serve you well for the hunting you described.

Edited by cheaptrick
RetiredPOL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredPOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 21:04
Maybe hte model is being replaced by a newer item ?????
Never know.....
The probability of your being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.
miket_81 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miket_81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 22:22

I have both and the conquest is a very small bit better. But the 4200 is like $259 and the conquest is $400+.

I don't think that the conquest is 35% better and usually save money by buying the 4200. You really can't go wrong with either. I have had about everything and usually buy either bushnell elite or conquest and once in a while a sightron if its a deal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2007 at 04:18
Originally posted by miket_81 miket_81 wrote:

I have both and the conquest is a very small bit better. But the 4200 is like $259 and the conquest is $400+.

I don't think that the conquest is 35% better and usually save money by buying the 4200. You really can't go wrong with either. I have had about everything and usually buy either bushnell elite or conquest and once in a while a sightron if its a deal.

Maybe, but the only knock on the 4200 is on "some" high recoil units and the eye relief deal comes into play.

Sample List can save you another $50 on a Conquest. Hard to beat 4" fixed eye relief.

(Waits for Roy Finn to flame me for my blasphemy against the 4200.)

BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 09:29
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.  What happens if I throw the Kahles KX in?
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 10:35

even better.

it's the best of the bunch.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic