OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope deflecting brass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sct682 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope deflecting brass
    Posted: April/12/2007 at 17:33

I have a kahles cl 3-9x42 scope mounted on a sako 75 in 300 wsm.  Every once in awhile it will fail to eject.  The brass is marring the undersurface the turret and right hand side of the bottom of the scope.  I think that occasionally the scope is deflecting the brass back into the chamber.  I called beretta they think it might be my mounts.  I have conetrol mounts now, and I am not happy with them.  I would like to switch to warne mounts, but they won't mount the scope any higher.  I would also prefer to keep the scope mounted low.  Do you think it is a problem with the rifle, the scope, or the mounts.

Thanks in advance.

john45acp View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john45acp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2007 at 22:50
I had the same issue with a Schultz & Larsen 308 Norma a number of years ago. The case was hitting the rear scope base on the way out. A little grinding to match the base better to the ejection port hole solved that. Conetrol mounts are very high quality and usually work forever.
Have you called Conetrol ? You should be able to mount the scope as low as possible with 2 piece bases and not have this happen. Suppose you had chosen a straight tube scope with super low rings? I think SAKO is responsible as you're not doing anything out of the ordinary with your setup. It may be a "teething problem" with the new 300 wsm.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2007 at 08:50

I think it is a problem with the height of the scope above the barrel this rifle is failing because there is not sufficient clearance. A little higher rings should solve this problem, it's a choice reliable extracting with higher rings or unreliable extracting with what you have. Note Burris makes a Sako to dual dovetail base and their sigature dual dovetail rings with  replaceable + or - inserts are very nice.

410587 Burris Double Dovetail 2 Piece Base                         Burris Double Dovetail 2 Piece Base
  • Matte
  • Sako
SWFA: $29.95
More Info... Buy Now

420571 Burris Signature Double Dovetail 1" Rings                   Burris Signature Double Dovetail 1" Rings
  • Matte
  • High
More Info... Buy Now
420561 Burris Signature Double Dovetail 1" Rings                   Burris Signature Double Dovetail 1" Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium
More Info... Buy Now
626019 Burris Signature Pos-Align Offset Insert Kit                Burris Signature Pos-Align Offset Insert Kit
  • Installation Kit (1")
  • 1 ea. +.005, -.005
  • 1 ea. +.010, -.010
  • 1 ea. +.020, -.020
SWFA: $12.95
More Info... Buy Now
I will also note that I had a problem with the face of the bolt not holding the brass agai

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2007 at 22:25

Could the problem be the ejector itself?  I believe the Sako 75 has a fixed ejector.  If you open the bolt slowly it will eject slowly.  If you pull the bolt back hard and fast it will eject the fired casing hard and fast.  Could the ejector be damaged or bent?  That might cause it to eject up instead of out.

It may be that the only solution is to mount the scope higher as has been suggested.  I've also read that the WSM cartridges, because of their sharp wide shoulder angles, adversely affect feed reliability.  But I guess that wouldn't have anything to do with ejection.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2007 at 13:47
i have a browning abolt in 300wsm and havent ever had any issues, i used loopie bases and rings
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic