OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Upset with new Burris!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokkmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upset with new Burris!
    Posted: April/10/2007 at 17:07
I got a new (used) Burris Signature Select and put it on my SAKO. I went to sight it in. I got it almost to zero at 50 yards and it ran out of left and down adjustment. I tried another scope to see if it would zero and it did with no problem. (therefore the mounts should be ok, right?) I am very upset that I cannot zero this scope. Any suggestions are appreciated!
A great rifle is only as good as the scope on it!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 18:51

http://www.burrisoptics.com/warranty.html

this says all you need to know you can send it in even if you arent the original owner and they should fix you up, i have a ffII that i wouldnt trade for the world great scope for the price imo. see if there cs dept is worth a damn so i will know if i ever have a problem with my scope

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Narrow Gap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Narrow Gap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 19:35
Hokkmike check to see how many total clicks of adjustment you have and make sure you started in the middle of the adjustment range. The scope could possibly have been near the end of the adjustment range when you recieved it. Just a suggestion maybe this will help you!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 20:32
Different scopes have different adjustment ranges.  What are the exact scope models you used?  What are the mounts?

ILya
Hokkmike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokkmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 20:40

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Different scopes have different adjustment ranges.  What are the exact scope models you used?  What are the mounts?

ILya

Burris Signature Select 8X32X44 on Leupold SAKO rings. The other was a Tasco 4X18X50 same mounts. Previously a Leupold VX-III 3.5 X 10 low mounts, same brand.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 21:04
The higher the magnification of the scope, the lower the adjustment range.  The Burris scope in question has the adjustment range of only 22" at 100 yards (or 11" at 50 yards).

Typically, for a scope of such high magnification (not sure what you would need that magnification for other than benchrest), you would want to dial in with the bases or rings (Burris Signature rings with varying plastic inserts work well), and use the scope's internal adjustments for the final adjustment.

I am not sure what the adjustment range of that Tasco is (I am assuming you meant a 4-16x50), but it is probably quite a bit higher, since the magnification is much lower.  Same for the Leupold.

ILya
Hokkmike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokkmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 08:39

Here is the response I got from Burris. I think they are trying to be as helpful as they can. Also, the information is very instructive, so I thought I would share it with you.

"You yourself can very easily verify that the scope is or is not performing properly. With a higher magnification scope the less internal adjustment it will have, this particular scope will have a total of 22” adjustment or 11” adjustment in any direction from optical center. So if the scope were optically centered and your first group of shots are more then 11” from the bulls-eye you will not get sighted in without first more closely aligning the scope and bore. The Signature series scopes have larger internal lenses which increase light transmission but decrease internal adjustment unlike the test scope which will have a ton of adjustment but uses tiny internal lenses. Now test the scope, the only way the scope will not have its full range of adjustment is if it is physically bent. Place the scope on a V-block and spin it, if the eyepiece or objective visibly spin in an oblong pattern then its bent, if not verify the internal adjustment. Using the same V-block (one can be made with a shoe box) spin the scope this time watching the pattern the reticle makes on a distant target. Turn the adjustments until the pattern of the reticle moving against the target is round or more precisely doesn’t move on the target. From here simply turn a adjustment until it stops watching how far it moves across the target, it should move no less then 11”. This can also be done using a bore sighter. When you find the scope does have its full range of adjustment the mounting system must be closer aligned with the bore by using windage adjustable mounts, lapping the rings, shimming the scope, or using Signature Posi-Align rings. If you find a problem or still believe there is a problem with the scope we will gladly review the scope if you would have it sent to the address below."

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 09:58
check it out and send it in is what i would do.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 17:59
Burris Double Dovetail 2 Piece Base 410587 
Stock # Price   Sako with dovetail receiver (Long or Short Action)  
410587 $29.95 < id=Quantity size=3 value=1 name=Quantity>
This base will adapt SAKO dovetail to Double Dovetail then you can use the Signature rings with the plastic inserts to shim the scope different directions. If you have a boresight tool it will be easier to do but it can be done on the range without one. Koshkin was right on with his assessment. A scope like this requires special care in the manner in which it is mounted.

420561 Burris Signature Double Dovetail 1" Rings                   Burris Signature Double Dovetail 1" Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium
SWFA: $29.95
More Info... Buy Now
626019 Burris Signature Pos-Align Offset Insert Kit                Burris Signature Pos-Align Offset Insert Kit
  • Installation Kit (1")
  • 1 ea. +.005, -.005
  • 1 ea. +.010, -.010
  • 1 ea. +.020, -.020
SWFA: $12.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic