OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS16x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtreme_jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS16x42
    Posted: April/10/2007 at 15:45

A few years ago I found optics talk and that’s where my obsession with scopes and optics started. You guys have helped me learn so much about scopes and optics.

My first purchase from SWFA was a 16XSS I fell in love with it right away! I have taken a mule deer and two elk with it. the last elk was taken at 570 yards. (I took 4th in the photo contest with it)   Well today is a really sad day for me. I need to sell my scope   I got a Burris scope for taking 4th in the contest. Its a great scope but I want a tactical scope. anyway I sold it and now am selling my ss. I am going to put all the money together to buy a variable power scope. I was wondering what you guys would suggest? I will have about $500 to spend. I am hoping to get something in the 4-16x range and hopefully get glass at least as good as the SS had.

If any of you guys are interested in buying my SS send me a pm.

Thanks for all your help!   

Jeremy

Edited by xtreme_jeremy
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 15:58

Thank you on behalf of The OT members for your kind words.

This forum is comprised of a very special bunch of people, to be sure.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8770-218-new-nikon-4-16x42-monarch-ri flescope.aspx

But it won't be available until this summer, I believe.

SWFA will be carrying Sightron scopes soon. Should be a Mil Dot variable in there for you.

SWFA can get you hooked up on a Sightron now, I'm fairly sure.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_topics.asp?fid=32

(Link to For Optics Sale Forum, my friend.) 

xtreme_jeremy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtreme_jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 16:58

"This forum is comprised of a very special bunch of people, to be sure"

Yes thats a fact!

I have not seen anywhere else on the web with so much info! There are so many members who really know there stuff.

Do you think that the Sightron is going to be better then the Nikon?

I went ahead and posted my scope for sale like you sugessed.

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 17:00
the bushnell elite 4200 is a good scope as well, and this is coming from a guy who has 3 nikons and a burris the nikon monarch is awesome as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtreme_jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 12:22

Pyro6999,

Is the glass on the bushnell elite 4200 better then the nikon Monarch? My brother-in-law has a monarch and its good but nothing that special. It seemed to me that the FOV of the Nikon Monarch was small. do you know how it compairs to the bushnell in the real world.

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 12:26

they are both great -

don't know if i would give the edge either way. maybe an ever-so-slight edge to the 4200's.

let us know what you decide.

thx.

J

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 12:31
Originally posted by xtreme_jeremy xtreme_jeremy wrote:

Pyro6999,

Is the glass on the bushnell elite 4200 better then the nikon Monarch? My brother-in-law has a monarch and its good but nothing that special. It seemed to me that the FOV of the Nikon Monarch was small. do you know how it compairs to the bushnell in the real world.

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy

there is the problem i dont own a 4200 but i do own a monarch and if the 4200 is anything like the monarch then its a good scope. i know a lot of people in here like both scopes and i think its a horse a piece depending on which one you buy, i guess see which one looks better to you is the best advice i could give.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtreme_jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 12:43

Thanks so much!

One more controversial question is how does the Millett TRS1 glass compares to the Nikon?  

Thanks

Jeremy

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 12:46
the only millet product i have ever owned is a set of there rings try the search function maybe somebody has posted something on them
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 14:04

How about this one:

426245T New Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope            New Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rainguard
  • Adjustable Objective
SWFA: $569.95
More Info... Buy Now

SWFA will take trade in scopes in case that helps, there is a form on samplelist.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 14:59
Originally posted by xtreme_jeremy xtreme_jeremy wrote:

Thanks so much!

One more controversial question is how does the Millett TRS1 glass compares to the Nikon?  

Thanks

Jeremy

A member on here that goes by "Duce" has both scopes and should be able to get you an answer to that question.

I got a feeling he'll tell us that the Monarch is better optically... 

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 16:21

The Millett TRS-1 comparies with the buckmaster glass, The monarch glass is better and the price is higher, seems like things always go that way. The

TRS-1 is a very rugged heavy scope with a lot of vertical adjustment, the Monarch is limited on vertical to about 40 moa, the TRS has about 100 moa  and has increased with each newer version I think it is on version number 4 now.

If you are doing long range pd shooting a 20 or 25 moa rail is a definate need with the Monarch but it is clearer and will go up to 20 x , The TRS goes up to 16 on the high end and 4 on the low end which is practical for targets closer, the Monarch 6X has a narrower field of vision and does not work as well for targets up close. Both are good scopes for their designed uses.  Hope this does not add to the confusion.

Duce 

Duce
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtreme_jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 19:32

Duce,

Thanks for your reply!

The added MOA with the millett would really make a difference. with my rifle and load the Nikon would only get me to about 670 yards without an moa base. However the Millett would get me out past 1,000 yards.

Do you have a Super sniper? I am just wondering how the glass in the TRS1 will compair to it? If the glass is of the same quality then I think I will give one a try but if its not as good then I think I might go with the Nikon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2007 at 04:31

You may want to consider a canted rail (20 MOA) and go with the Nikon for better optical performance.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2007 at 07:03

I don`t have a super sniper if you don`t mind the extra cost and you want to shoot distance cheaptrick is right on the Nikon does have better glass and 20X .  I use a 25 moa rail with mine for distance. SWFA can set you up which ever you get . Use a good set of mounts with the scope the TRS-1 is a 30 mm the Nikon is 1 inch.

good shooting with either one

Duce 

Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2007 at 12:53

The heart of the question is how much you want to spend, and above 4 or 5 hundred the old deminishing returns thing hits. You have to include the cost of the rail and scope mounts anywhere from about 75 (millett) to over 200 dollars ( Badger ) The TRS-1 with Millett medium tactical mounds are adequate the Nikon with Badger mounts are better. Scopes are odd in many ways brightness is not the only thing to consider. I have been looking out into the park a couple hundreds yards off where there are bright and shadows. My Leupold and Nikon are equal in brightness but there is no glare with the Leupold ( at 10 power both scopes) I can see the birds & etc. clearly with all the scopes but there is a difference. How long are you going to look through the scope at one time? will glare be a problem? If possible I would go to a range and try to look through all the scopes you are considering to decide what fits you use.

My hunting style these days is probably a lot different than yours, I tend to set up in one place and start looking through the binocs then high power binocs then high power riflescopes for pdogs or ground hogs I like the effort that goes into making good long shots for varmints.

If you can talk to some people that are doing the same type of shooting you want to do and see what their preferences are in terms of scopes and mounts etc.

Duce 

Duce
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtreme_jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2007 at 19:31

Thanks for your advice!

Money is a key factor if it were not then I would just get a US Optics and be done with it.

I think I am going to go the cheap route right now and save up for a really nice scope, base and rings later. I just need something that will get my by for this year.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out!

This truly is a great forum!

Good hunting!

Jeremy  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic