OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.280 handloads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .280 handloads
    Posted: April/10/2007 at 08:03
i just got a .280 yesterday and was curious if anybody else has one and what they are using for handloads
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 08:46

I don't know about the .280, but the 160gr Sierra GameKing has always worked great on deer in my 7mm RM.

If you already have some 30.06 powders like 4895, 4064 or 4350, they should work pretty good. I have had good results using heavier bullets in .06 with H4831. If you are using IMR4831 already I would definitely give that a try.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 08:48
i have h380 h414 imr 4831 4895 4064 4350 reloader 19 i am thinking the reloader 19 and the 4831 will be my best choices and i am planning on using a 140 sierra pro hunter
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 10:45
I would probably start out with RL19, 4831, and 4350.  Sounds like you already have your bases covered on powders.  I think a 140 gr bullet of some persuasion is probably your best all-around bullet for most game, maybe 160s for elk sized game, though a stoutly constructed 140 would work fine for elk as well.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 10:47
yeah if i ever go after elk you can bet i will step up either the bullets weight or brand
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 13:07
i have plenty of manual's sierra and lee's 2nd edition as well as imr/hodgdon's info and i am bidding on a set of dies right now i bought 2 boxes of federal fushion 140's they were 17.00 a box so i can shoot a little for brass now and go buy another 100.im looking to try every powder i have except h-380.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2007 at 19:59
man i stuck a case today and it was the worst one i have ever done, i guess the 2nd time in my doesnt make for much competition but it was bad enough i thought i was gonna end up sending it in, but i got it after 4 hours of fighting and thinking.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 16:58
so i get a day without to much wind to go shooting and for some reason none of my handloads would chamber up in my gun, so i went back and got the book out to get my oal and max case length and they were both under those numbers so do i have a tight chamber?? i am going to try and seat the bullets a little deeper and see if they will chamber up if not i guess i will have to trim the already under max cases some more
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 09:15

Pyro,

First of all, at the risk of asking a silly question, did you full-length resize your cases?  Check your case shoulder diameter and length to shoulder to make sure those are in spec.  If they are, and case length isn't over max, and your sizing die produces the correct o.d. necks, then either your seating depth is over max for your chamber or you have excessively thick brass and you need to turn your necks.  If the former is the case, make up a dummy round (sized case with seated bullet, with no powder or primer) loaded to your current OAL, then progressively increase seating depth in .005 - 0.010" increments until your bolt just closes, then seat another 0.010" deeper to start.  Then test loads while tweaking only your seating depth inward in 0.005" increments until you find your rifle's "sweet spot" for C.O.A.L.

If it is a neck diameter issue after seating bullets, then measure the neck thickness from a fired case that chambered and turn the necks on your brass to the same thickness.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 19:21
yeah i full lengthed them all and i tried some empty's that were primed and the bolt closed, i double checked the oal and max case length and they were all good, so seated the bullets deeper and deeper until the bolt closed and man did i have seat them deep.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2007 at 13:37
can some one explain to me why some of my groups look like a v laying on its side?? i have been noticing that its happening a couple of times while i am shooting.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2007 at 22:26
Whats up?  Did this myself once..  You should get flooded with answers, but heres mine.  If your on a bag or bench or whatever checking for group look at this..  #1, your scope is NOT moving in the rings? use a whitness mark and keep track of it.  #2 when your grabbing a grip, try to referance your level.  Your cant left to right while you gaze at your target.  Orient your eye, your cross hair, and a fixed refferance somewhere on the target after you feel that you do not have a level problem. Fire one,keep track of your fixed referance and your POI. Fire another one.  Picked up a B-square bubble-level (weaver style) many years ago. It mounts under the scope on the rail to my right. Have um on every thing these days, great for the bi-pod stuff.  I KNOW, your hunting, use it as a trainer proofing your loads and it improves your hold.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 06:19
im thinking its the cheapo plastic caldwell rest im using, i never had groups like that when i was using the hoppes tripod and a sand bag.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 16:56

Pyro, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the group stringing problem was caused by your rest shifting causing the rifle to move to the side during the shot.  Unless you're using a very solidly built rest, plain ol' sandbags stacked up make a superior front rest than a cheap plastic rest.  Also, be sure your rest is contacting the same place on the forend each time you shoot.

This is of course after verifying that your scope mounts aren't loose.

Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 19:48
no scope mount issue here, im pretty sure its from the rest, like i said earlier when i shot off a hoppes tripod with a leather bag and plain old sand bag in the rear i never experienced anything like that, so this rest is making me suspect.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 18:31
well i bought some nosler accubonds the other day 140 grainers which is the same weight as the sierra pro hunters i am currently testing, i know i wont get the same loads with 2 different bullets to shoot alike, so the question is do i trade them with people i know for sierras or do i roll dice and start all over?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2007 at 22:14
sorry here is the correct target

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 00:21

Hey Pyro, you've got nothing to lose by trying the 140 gr Accubonds in your .280.  Back off a couple grains on your proven powder and work up to max with the AB's to see where it shoots best.  Who knows, it may shoot better than your Sierra PH's, but you'll never know if you don't try 'em.

Are you sure you posted the right pic of your .280 group?  That's the same target you posted for your 6.5 Rem Mag in the 6.5 Mag thread...

Ted

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 02:51
Pyro..................WHAT!!... NO NEW .270 FOR YOU?????!!!!! LOL!! LOL!!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2007 at 08:29
oops that is my 6.5 rem mag target!! i will fix that.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic