OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What hunting binoculars is everyone using

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What hunting binoculars is everyone using
    Posted: April/09/2007 at 11:50
I am interested in finding out what kind of binocular brand wise, power and magnifacation is everyone using these days or what are you thinking about purchasing for next hunting season.  I just want to see whats popular and what is working for everyone.  Or if your planning on upgrading this summer/fall what do you currently have and what are you thinking of purchasing.  Thanks, bird_hunter66
Birdhunter
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 13:00

Birdhunter -

Hunting - Swarovski EL 8.5 x 42.  

General Viewing - Minox HG 8.5 x 43.

If I were thinking about another pair, which I'm not, I would look at a 7x42 SLC or Ultravid.

ND2000 

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 13:32

I've been using my Vortex Razor 8X42 and my Leica 8X50 Trinovids.  Due to the size and weight of the Leica, I generally use the Vortex for general hunting and while on the move, and my Leica Trinovid 8X50 for stationary viewing in blinds.  I'm very happy with those two binos.  If I were buying another pair of binos, I'd probably add a really good 8X32 for even less weight and bulk than the Razor for mountain hunting.  In the steep high country, I'd be willing to trade the slightly reduced twilight performance of the 32mm bino in exchange for less weight.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 15:16

For non moving hunting, like high seats etc I am normally using Zeiss 7x50B marine or Zeiss 8x60.

For hunting where I move i normally have Zeiss 6x30B.

For dogwalking and everytime use i have a Zeiss 6x20 monocular, about the size of a shotgun cartridge.

I normally use individual focus binoculars for all hunting as I find it more convenient to not be forced to jerk around the focus wheel all the time.

The 3 binoculars meantioned are some of the binoculars on the market with the bigest field of view, and I find that also very important.

Regards Technika

Edited by www.technika.nu
Narrow Gap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Narrow Gap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 15:17
I use the Zeiss Victory 8X56 T* P*. I always hunt either using a tree climber or shooting house so the weight is a non-issue.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 19:39

I have not totally decided yet. I have used three different bins for the last three hunting seasons. Three years ago it was the Zeiss Conquest 8x30. Two years ago it was the Nikon Monarch 8x42. Last year it was the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. (I am referring to bow season here in particular). I did use the Meopta Meostar, Zeiss FL and Leica Trinovid last year sporadically as well.

This year I am leaning towards the Vortex Viper 8x42 for hunting. It has the size and feel of the Nikon Monarchs with a significantly brighter and sharper image.

Frank
davelandefeld View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davelandefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 22:26

I love to use my Steiner 8X30 Nighthunter

It's light and rubber armored. I pack in a lot and so these things matter.

The best part is the eyepieces are wing shaped and block out all peripheral light.

The 3.75 exit pupil is okay but I'd prefer something larger.

I haven't bought the larger glasses because the $ and weight.

If I get a raise soon I'll look at/through some 12X + Swarovski's or Leica's.

I'd like something REALLY nice next time.

Edited by davelandefeld
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2007 at 11:10

As far as a primary hunting binocular goes...

For about 3 years or so I used an 8x42 Pentax DCF WP.  This was the very first of the lower/mid-priced binoculars to offer phase correction coatings on its prisms and was a great binocular. In fact, my dad still uses one. All things considered, this binocular is still a pretty tough act to follow.

Wanting to try to maximize image quality while not destroying my marraige with an overpriced Euro optic, I later switched to a porro prism 10x42 B&L Discoverer.  I loved the porro prism view and the (comparatively) wide FoV this binocular offered. I also was instantly hooked on the higher 10x magnification. It was however, bulky and heavy, especially on long treks through the back-country so; I decided to go back to a roof prism design.

Having had good success with the Pentax, I briefly tried the 10x42 Pentax DCF WP.  It was a dissapointment. The optical quality was nowhere near that of the 8x model. I sold these ASAP.

After an exhaustive search of every high-quality, 10x, roof prism binocular I could get my hands on (including the various high dollar Euros) I found a fantastic offer on the 10x43 Bushnell Elite. This offer, coupled with the binocular's superior (for me) ergonomics and very comparable optics clinched the deal and I have been carrying the Elite ever since. 

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2007 at 18:29
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2007 at 19:29
Once you clean it up, it ought to work really well.

You could also use it to look at coins and stamps.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 00:55

Swarovski SLC 10x42 for Hunting

Swift Audubon ED poro for general binoculars

Weaver Grad Slam 10.5x45  back up nocs

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 10:25

---You could also use it to look at coins and stamps--

Operas

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 10:36
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Operas

So do you hunt in opera houses, or listen to opera music while hunting?

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 10:47
 Thats good!!!!!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 12:42
REAL men can't go to operas.

The dress code prohibits camouflage and/or fluorescent attire. Plus, you have to leave your hunting rifles at the front door.
lagarto308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 13:44

Minolta Activa II WPFP 7x50, aspheric glasess. Mostly for night hunting, also for walking hunting.

Real bang for the buck. It is quality surprise me a lot!!!

Now my planning is to get a Fujinon FMT 7x50 or 10x70, or Nikon Prostar 7x50 or 10x70, second hand, but in ebay people pays 70%-80% of the value of a new one in i*net. Crazy people? I cannot understand.

It is not a necessity, but I would like to test any of them in night hunting (seating and waiting for wild boars). The reviews I could see are the best night light transmission but they are heavy marine binoculars. I suppose this will not be a problem in night hunting.

Edited by lagarto308
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 13:46
And duck calls are not allowed.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 14:45
lagarto,

Both e-bay and astromart.com are selling Fujinon Marine binoculars. You need to be careful on e-bay, as there are "some" dishonest individuals ripping people off.

It is not likely that you will find a "cheap" Nikon ProStar 7x50 or Astroluxe 10x70 binocular.

The ProStar weighs 52.4 ozs. or 3.275 lbs.
The Astroluxe weighs 69.8 ozs. or 4.36 lbs.

Fujinon 10x70FMT-SX weighs 68.3 ozs. or 4.27 lbs.
Fujinon 10x50FMT-SX weighs 50.1 ozs. or 3.13 lbs.
Fujinon 7x50FMT-SX weighs 48.2 ozs. or 3.01 lbs.

The Fujinon 7x50mm is used by hunters for low light situations and is an excellent all around binocular.

All of these have Individual Focusing eyepieces, which some do not care for.

Have you ever looked at the Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7x50mm. It is the brightest porro prism binocular that Nikon makes, and is around $200 or less.
It is rated as bright as the Fujinon 7x50 and the Minolta 7x50 and the Nikon ProStar 7x50. (Of course, the Fujinon and the Nikon ProStar are higher quality).

Edited by Bird Watcher
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 14:59

Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Have you ever looked at the Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7x50mm. It is the brightest porro prism binocular that Nikon makes, and is around $200 or less.
It is rated as bright as the Fujinon 7x50 and the Minolta 7x50 and the Nikon ProStar 7x50. (Of course, the Fujinon and the Nikon ProStar are higher quality).

Even brighter than Nikon's top of the line Premier/ Superior SE series porros?  Those are considered Nikon's best porros, considered by some to be the finest porros in the world.  They retail for 5X what the Action Extreme porros do.

Ted

lagarto308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2007 at 15:07
I think Prostar & Astroluxe are names used in USA for Nikon SE porro series (Or IF WP SP or IF WP HP).

BirdWatcher, please, let me know where can I see the qualification of minolta comparing others like Fujinon or Nikon. Minolta cost was only about 150$, and it is as bright as Zeiss 8x56 (Classic Dyalit). I have not spoken about general quality of the binocular, only about their ability to be used in low light hunting (night hunting in Spain -of course according to the spanish hunting law-).

It is very interesting and appreciated your info about Nikon Action Extreme. What do you think about Sightron? I have a riflescope and it seems to be great purchase for the value.

Edited by lagarto308
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic