OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any Steyr owners?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Steyr owners?
    Posted: April/06/2007 at 19:08
I just bought a Steyr SBS and am wondering if anyone has one. The reputation is for very good accuracy out of the box. Very good price, but in an odd ball caliber for the US. 6.5X57, I tend to like the different ones. Hopefully it will be much like my Sako 75 in 6.5X55 only perhaps a little bit more speed. Also wondering if not much more than the 6.5X55 if it wold be possible to re-chamber the gun to 6.5X65 RWS the case head is the same just a bit longer body.   
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 18:03
whats the best 7 mm in the world the 7mm mauser of course, and what could make it better the 6mm case necked up to 6.5. Lots of experience with steyrs (luxus, ssgs, and augs) but I think your talking the hunter here. I wouldn't rechamber it with a sweety like the 6.5 57.
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 19:16
 It looks just like a Pro Hunter, but listed as a SBS 96. 24" barrel synthetic stock matt finish. NIB for under $600 with shipping and transfer. Didn't really need another gun, but... Dies are on the way as well as some rather expensive RWS brass. I would like to get to 3000fps with a 140, but this maybe optimistic. I may keep the wood pretty on the Sako and take the Steyr out this season. Two choices in the closet for a scope, both Burris a 4.5X14 FFII or a 1.75X5 signature. Can't decide, longer range or small and light.   
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2007 at 08:00
I have a Steyr Mannlicher Forrester in a 260 Remington, but have not had a chance to mount a scope, load some ammo and shoot it yet.  They have a very good reputation.  They do not import and I am not even sure they manufacture this model anymore.  I am just curious, where did you purchase your rifle?
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2007 at 13:22

I got the rifle from one of the online auctions. Never done this before, but the price was just to good and I really like the 6.5 calibers. They tend to be very accurate and kill way beyond what the ballistics would indicate. It would appear that the 6.5X57 is the original 6.5X257 before the wildcat was made, a Mauser design from the late 1800's. It is a longer cartridge and uses a long action. Very similiar to the 6.5X55, 260 etc. I may still look at re-chambering to 6.5X65 RWS as it would be more than the 6.5-284 but  a bit less than the 264 Winchester. I pick it up this next week and will report back

Ron   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic