OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Who is using a Nightforce

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is using a Nightforce
    Posted: April/05/2007 at 17:32
Who is using a Nightforce and how do you like it? Have you had any problems with it and if so was customer service acceptable?  How do you feel the glass compares with other high end optics. Do you wish you had bought a different brand and if so why?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2007 at 09:36
I have a NF 3.5-15X50 NXS and a buddy of mine has the 5.5-22X56 NXS.  Neither of us has had any problems with them, so I have no experience with their customer service.  They are very ruggedly built, have excellent adjustments, and great optics.  To my eyes, I think they compare well to other high end optics, maybe just a step below Zeiss and Swaro.  I recently bought an IOR 4-14X50 30mm tactical and thought the NF's glass was pretty much on par with it, with a slight edge to the IOR in low light performance.  One thing I like the most about NF scopes is their tremendous selection of innovative reticles, all glass etched.  They are an excellent choice for target, varmint, and tactical use, but wouldn't be my choice for a big game hunting rifle due to size and weight.  I don't at all regret buying mine and in fact, plan to buy another one within the next year.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2007 at 11:06

There are 3 classes of scopes, the best one which is always the new one you haven't got, professional scopes and "hobby scopes". S$B, USO, Nightforce,IOR in one group and everybody else is in the other. As much as I like my Diavaris and Leos they are not in the same class. Not going to get into a "glass" critique here but just mention something about lightforce. NXS series of scopes are on the average of 15 oz heavier than a hobby scopes, and thats not lead added, but thicker tubes, erector, over all construction. Customer service turnaround is as good as Leo, and turn around on a reticle replacement runs about 2 weeks. The reticles are very thin making them outstanding for target shooting and I am currently using their 8x32 bench model on a Cooper 6.5x284 for long range shooting, (and an experiment). Reticle subtensions are in MOA and not mil-radians so translation is made direct to the knobs for dial in. Although nightforce has made it even easier.  On the verticle dots or lines (depending on the reticle), the distance between any two is always known. Thus if you have a 939 yd shot, use the dot with the 900 yd hold over and dial in the 4-5 click adjustments (depending on the ballistics of the load) and you're right on. The shooter never has to dial a full turn and "loose" where they are at in the dial in. The AO threads are extremely fine and operates thru almost 360 deg. which allows for a very refined "picture" and focuses down to 25 yds, with no distortion at either end of the power range. clicks are 1/8" and it is true "benchrest" capable.

The 3.5x15 NXS bounces around on several guns, usually of some "tactical" nature. The side focus has been calibrated with rangefinder and marks placed on the dial for that range. Two complaints hardly worth mentioning is the illuminated reticle intensity is difficult to adjust and the rear focus turns with the power ring. The reticle has 2 MOA hash marks and dial in hardly ever used. Center is set for 300 yrds, and 1st hash up is 2 MOA down or almost dead on with a normal 308 load. Dial clicks are very positive and a zero stop can be had from nightforce. Unlike the popular movement in redone hobby scopes it is a true "tactical" scope. My mk4 Leo 4x14 mil-dot isn't even close.

I disagree that the nightforce isn't a good hunting scope, the 2.5 x10 is about 12-15 oz. lighter than the NXS types with variable illumination standard and any reticle you want. Is it as good as my Diavari 2.5x10x50, in construction yes, reticle is better, (not a real fan of the #8 )  low light no (but then not many scopes are).

My 1x4 on short AR's is as fast as a EO close (tested on timers), and as good as my ACOG on 300-400 yd targets.

Is the nightforce as good as PM S$B or USO no--but then what is.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2007 at 11:51
Forgot to add why I like the reticles so much. NF reticles (most anyway) do not touch the edges of the scope field. This reduces the Ehrenstein effects of converging radial lines (very evident in something the like th #8 zeiss reticle and mildots). This leaves the edges of the scope open for peripheral  observation of such things as wind flags, other moving game, or just a "clean" scope field. the npr2 almost a 1/4 of the periphery "clean"  the np-2dd has tapered cross hairs and works well in low light or the center dot is .1875 MOA at 22x almost ideal for bench dot. an amazing feat --one scope two specialized uses.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2007 at 12:22
Thanks Dale

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2007 at 18:42

As always thanks for the great info.

Duce 

Duce
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 00:09

I do have a 8-32x56 and I don't like it.

The optics are ok, but the I dislike the turrets and the MOA clicks.

I am not to impressed by the illumination either.

I have used USO 3,2-17 with 1 cm clicks and the illumination on that one was far to strong, far to strong to be used at all, plus that the threads in the objective was to large and the zoom ring often needed a very strong hand to get moved.

This was a new scope that never was used, noting for me.

I prefer SuB and Zeiss to nightforce or uso, better optics and better illumination.

Using 1 cm clicks on long range is also a way of not having to much problems and making life easyer.

If a normal low magnification scope have MOA clicks, its ok, because it just sighted in and I don't use it for compensation, but a long range sight should in my opinion be 1cm.

Regards Technika

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 10:21

Technika,

I agree with you on the illumination part, but I turned my rheostat down so that the illumination is o.k. in low light.  But, I don't use the NF in low light anyway -- varmint and target shooting only -- so it's a non-issue to me.  Yes, Zeiss and S&B have a little better optics, but the NF offers good optics, has better reticle selection than either of those, and a SFP reticle is a better choice for target and small varmint use.  Really, it all depends on your intended use of the scope as to which is "better."  They all have their place.

Here in the U.S., we don't think in terms of cm clicks, so for compensation MOA works better for us.  The 1/4 MOA clicks is also finer resolution than 1cm clicks.  MOA works better with NF's BC reticles anyway.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 10:41
as far as preferences go I'll take USO over any of them any day for any purpose. better construction than any scope, better customer service, more receptive to shooters needs. they will custom build anything you want.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 13:40

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

as far as preferences go I'll take USO over any of them any day for any purpose. better construction than any scope, better customer service, more receptive to shooters needs. they will custom build anything you want.

Would have to agree -- if money were no object.  But since it is, the NF is less expensive than the other options presented.  Of course, I use tactical scopes for varminting, so if I wanted a scope for purely tactical use, I'd probably go with the USO or maybe the S&B PM-II.

Ted

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 15:08

On the one i tried there was the illumination so strong that it was worthless during low light.

The thread on the objective, for the sunshield was so loose that someone could expect that it was made by an appreantice. This together with the sticky zoom made me belive that the quality not is on par with the price, or to put it frankly, I have never seen so much faults at the same time on a bushnell from the 70th.

But this scope maybe was an exemption?

Maybe USO delivers best quality and by mistake shipped this scope that really should have been shipped right to the trash bin....I don't know.

Regards Technika

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 15:16
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

Maybe USO delivers best quality and by mistake shipped this scope that really should have been shipped right to the trash bin....I don't know.

Regards Technika

WOW!! Really??? 

My SN-3 was totally perfect in every regard, including the AO, which I prefer over a side focus being a lefty. No lit reticle on mine though, so I can't comment on that.

The MOA reticle was very nice.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 15:33

The one i tried was mildot and cm clicks so that part was at least correct.

I maybe expected to much, but I think it's right to do that for 4200usd........

Regards Technika

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 15:46
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

The one i tried was mildot and cm clicks so that part was at least correct.

I maybe expected to much, but I think it's right to do that for 4200usd........

Regards Technika

Yeah, for that much money you should be happy with it. I agree.

Did you ever contact USO??

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 15:56

Nope it was not mine  I just borrowed it.

But It was never used when i got it, brand new in it's package.

Regards Technika

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 19:05

Wow, I've used USO and loved them, great construction, good turrets, good optics.

I own a NF 3.5-15x50 (or something like that) and really like.  I could'a bought a lue and didn't, I could'a bought a Zeiss and didn't, I could'a bought anything <$2,000 but I really like the NF: solid construction, good optics, good turrets, illumination works fine once you set it with a jewler's driver and leave it alone.

I really like the scope and, like someone said, the reticles are the best in the business - without going custom.

For the budget, it's a great scope and a great value.  you can do better, but you'll pay!

But that's just me.  And I will say SWFA not carrying them should weigh heavily on your decision.  I've had problems with otehrs that turned into nightmares, never with SWFA.  Chris will take care of you!  NF has good custoemr service - that I've seen - but buying someplace other than SWFA isn't recommnded.

And I don't work for SWFA or profit in any way from my endorsements or above statements.  But if Chris wanted to give me a great deal on an IOR 35mm tactical, I wouldn't say no.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2007 at 21:53

I have a hard time doing the Nightforce when what I really would prefer is a U.S. Optics SN3. SWFA used to carry the 10x but I havent seen those in a while. The Nightforce was a consideration only because I could put it on lay away and pay some each month. I seen to never quite catch up and have enough optics for my rifles.   I have a Leu Mk4 10x M3 that I am having put on a 300 WM sniper rifle but I'm having second thoughts about if it is enough scope. While it is a good choice I think the SN3 would be a better choice. For some reason S&B doesnt do much for me I see the price and Im done looking. The IOR I like but Badger Rings are 30 or 34mm not 35.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2007 at 09:02
No question the sn3 is a better choice, but I don't that was the posters question.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2007 at 12:45

I've used USO and Nightforce, and bought the Nightforce.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I prefer the Nightforce to anything but a few Zeiss, S&B (and maybe IOR since I've never used or shot one.)

For the money, short of Zeiss' top stuff or S&B PMIII, I prefer my Nightforce.

But that's just me.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
shan2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 10:07

I have a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x56 with the NP-RR (MOA) reticle and Zero Stop.  The Zero Stop feature is incredibly useful on turrets that take 8 (IIRC) revolutions between minimum and maximum adjustment.  The glass is great and it's easy to make out .308 holes at 200 yards.  I don't like the lighted reticle, especially because of the fact that it's muzzle-side signature is quite bright.  I got it as a strictly target shooting scope and can't comment on how it takes abuse.  In two years and about 2500 rounds, it's never failed.  Maybe in a decade or so, I might be able to test out Nightforce service if something actually goes wrong in the scope.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic