OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 vs. Zeiss FL T* 8x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski EL 8.5x42 vs. Zeiss FL T* 8x42
    Posted: April/03/2007 at 11:36

I searched but haven't seen this issue addressed:

Which is best between the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and the Zeiss FL T* 8x42  for an eyeglasses wearer for hunting purposes?  Hunting conditions include hunting from treestands in dark hardwood forests to hunting open conifer forests interspersed with meadows at ~10,000' elevation, both from 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset (or whatever is the local legal limit.

The Swaro has a claimed 18mm of eye relief compared to the Zeiss' 16mm, which would suggest that the Swaro is the better choice for us eyeglasses wearers.  However, I've noticed a few websites comment that the Zeiss is the best for use with eyeglasses.

TIA.

--twofer

Edited by twofer
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 13:47
I don't know much about the eye glass situtation for your purpose.  I can tell you that Swarovski has the best customer service of the two by far and they will fix most anything that is wrong with them other then you running over them or any man made problems and Swarovski does have the best resell value of the two.  I would be interested to know which one you finally end up with.  Thanks bird_hunter66
Birdhunter
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 14:20

Originally posted by twofer twofer wrote:

Which is best between the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and the Zeiss FL T* 8x42  for an eyeglasses wearer for hunting purposes?

Flip a coin.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
twofer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 14:59

lucznik - I guess your saying that the stated differences in eye reliefs are either over-shadowed by other factors important to eyeglasses wearers, or the actual eye reliefs are closer than the published numbers imply?

--twofer

Edited by twofer
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 16:16
Originally posted by twofer twofer wrote:

lucznik - I guess your saying that the stated differences in eye reliefs are either over-shadowed by other factors important to eyeglasses wearers, or the actual eye reliefs are closer than the published numbers imply?

--twofer

Anythiing above 15mm is sufficient for an eyeglass wearer to get the full field of view. Anything more is unnecessary and in fact, if taken too far (above 19 or so mm) can start to cause "black-outs" which can be terribly annoying.

So, what I'm saying is that there isn't a gnats worth of meaningful difference between the two eye relief figures as they are both within this "ideal" range so;  if you can't decide between the two, just flip a coin. It's as good a decision-making tool as anything as related to your question. 

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 16:33
I would give the edge to the Zeiss because of the slightly smaller magnification, the larger Exit Pupil 5.25mm vs. 4.94mm, and because of the larger Abbe-Konig prisms, and the use of Fluoride glass. (ALL these factored in TOGETHER)

The difference would be noticable mainly at dawn and dusk.(low light situations)

You might enjoy reading this:

http://www.zbirding.info/zbirders/blogs/sing/default.aspx

Edited by Bird Watcher
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2007 at 16:45

Twofer -

Just be sure to look through them both.  While both pairs provide exceptional views, they are quite different. 

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic