OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Mk4 Pricing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turnerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Mk4 Pricing
    Posted: April/02/2007 at 21:05
Here is a newbie question so pardon my ignorance.

Why are the fixed power Mark 4's more expensive than the variable power Mark 4's?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2007 at 17:38

Were not ignoring you we just dont know either.

I will venture a guess. They probably do not make as many of them and therefore it costs more to make say 10 of something (per unit) than it would cost per unit to make a hundred of something else. Economy of Scale.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2007 at 17:40
The other theory is that it is very costly to remove the super sniper markings and replace them with Leupold markings.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
turnerm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turnerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2007 at 18:08
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2007 at 20:09
The Mark IV 16X has 140 MOA for elevation. I don't know if that is the reason why they cost more.
turnerm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turnerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2007 at 11:08
I am a newbie, and purchased a Super Sniper 10x42M as my first scope.  Im sure the scope exceeds any of my capabilities.
But after reading so many posts (here and other boards) about how much better the more expensive scopes are, I find myself doing research on other scopes.
One day I might invest in another scope. 
I am just finding it hard to get a consensus on scopes.  Here are some observations:

-Leupolds are supposed to be great, but I've seen so many posts on their problems.  I hardly ever read about problems with Super Snipers.
-I would think variable powered scopes would be more expensive to make, but they are cheaper to buy?
-I read anout Nightforce thinking they were among the best.  Still very mixed reviews out there.
-Only scope to have unanimous praise are the S&B's.
-I see that optics quality isnt the most important thing in the world.
I used to work in medical optics and photography, and in my experience, Leica and Zeiss make the best glass, period.
Nikon is damn good, but not as good as the above.  Not sure about Swar as Ive never used their products.
But from reviews, Nikon, Leica and Zeiss dont seem to be at the top of anyone's lists.

So what I'm wondering is, what are the best scopes out there?  I know its a pointless question, but I am interested in the event that I win the lottery and have to recklessly spend all my money.

sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2007 at 19:00
Welcome to the OT!  You are correct on many points but many of these points boil down to opinion....factored in with the good old adage you get what you pay for....but how much you really need to pay is the final question?  The SS is a heck of a deal, it was the second true tactical scope I ever bought and it has migrated around to other weapons as I've upgraded.  I own a Leupold M3 LR 3.5-10x bought on the Sample list five years ago and I would not trade it off my 700P, it is awesome but there are other great brands for similar cost (Nikon Tacticals, IOR, etc) in many ways you won't go wrong with many recommendations, there are pros and cons to everything.....would I love to have a S&B PM.....oh baby....but I'm not prepared to pay for it (nor would my wife approve).  In the end, the fun is the shooting of the hardware and trying new things...one way to save money is to read about other's experiences here.....but just remember many things boil down to opinions and personal preference....here's a couple examples.....no one in their right mind will tell you a Barska or chink-leupy copy is as good as any real tactical scope.....and neither is a tactical scope the best choice for all applications...I wouldn't put one on my hunting rifle (it would be a waste)...but again that is only my opinion.   I've got a steel tube Tasco 4x32 that is as old as I am and it's a great scope....so I'm far from being a snob either.

Edited by sandsock
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 09:06
Optics are an interesting product. Lets face it you could probably kill something using a scope made from two wires and coke bottle glass at 100 yds so long as you practiced. Where the quality of optics becomes important is - how clearly you wish to see some distant object and you pay for what you get. Even fair quality glass will kill at amazing distance. When it comes to tacitcal scopes you pay for good glass because what you are able to see affects your decision to shoot or not to shoot. You also pay for reliable adjustments that shoot in the same place every time. The quality can make a difference. Everybody thinks S&B is great mainly because nobody can afford them and so we dont really know.  Only the military can afford them and we all know what they have paid for hammers and toilet lids is more than any reasonable sane person would pay. One of my sniper instructor friends has a brother who has an S&B and has had quite a bit of trouble with it. The norm for Police departments is Leupold Tacticals with the first choice going to the 4-14 power range. I have had the opportunity to look at some U.S. Optics scopes and believe they are the best available and would prefer one to a S&B although If someone gave me a S&B to try out I would certainly be interested. I feel like my Leupold Mark 4 scopes are good scopes and while I am happy with them I do believe that the price is rather high and the glass is probably not equal to S&B and U.S. Optics. The only IOR I have had the pleasure to examine is the 6x42 tactical and it was awesome, I love the MP8 reticle and the covered knobs were the right size. I have looked at and am considering buying a Nightforce but what I really want is a U.S. Optics SN3 but that is way more than I am able to pay at one time as for the Nightforce I can put one on lay away and pay a little each month which makes it a posibility.  On the other end of the scale I am favorably impressed with the Tasco 3-9 "world class" scopes that I have on a couple of rilfes and those scopes I paid less than $30 for.Yea I know its a crappy scope but it works just fine and the 1/4 moa clisks seem to be right on.  Besides I have way too much money in glass I just wish I could make rifle scopes out of my three Hasselblad lenses.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 20:01
Hear Hear....WTF is a Hasselblad lens?
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 20:02
Of course by WTF I mean Want To Find-out....nothing improper of course.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 20:23

Originally posted by sandsock sandsock wrote:

Nice recovery, sock!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 09:16
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by sandsock sandsock wrote:

Nice recovery, sock!

D&mn!  I'm gonna have to update my acronym list... I had that one entirely wrong all this time.  Thanks for the heads-up!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 14:17

http://www.hasselblad.com/

Bear in mind this is just the three lenses I have and I have two bodies a prisim finder and three backs along with numerous accessories including studio lights hand painted backgrounds etc all gathering dust.

Hasselblad   
Price : $ 3,082.00
Normal 100mm f/3.5 CFi Zeiss Planar Lens for 500 Series

Hasselblad   
Price : $ 3,468.00
Telephoto 180mm f/4 CFE Zeiss Sonnar Lens for 200 and 500 Series Cameras 180mm f/4 CFE Sonnar T Lens

Hasselblad   
Price : $ 2,701.00

Buy Used $ 1,799.00 >

Wide Angle 60mm f/3.5 CFi Zeiss Distagon Lens for 500 Series Cameras 60mm f/3.5 CFI Distagon Lens

To say nothing of the three Nikon Pro 35mm systems with lenses from 20mm to 300mm.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 14:34

Got Glass?

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2007 at 12:38
Wow...I'd never heard of them....I'm not much of a camera guy....thank God the world has gone digital because now I take a lot more photos.  I have a great old Minolta SLR that I got as a junior high graduation present and used all through HS and college....just can't bear to part with....sentamentality.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic