OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low Power Variable Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote temccoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Power Variable Scope
    Posted: March/10/2004 at 14:22
Fellas - I am looking for a low power variable for a hunting rifle, and I wanted to get your opinion on several of them.  I am looking at the Bushnell 4200 1.5 X 6, the Leupold VXIII 1.5 X 5, and the Weaver Grand Slam 1.5 X 5.  Nikon also makes one, but it is 30 mm and I want to stay with a 1 inch tube.  What differences are there in brightness, clarity, reliability on these scopes?  They all seem to be pretty good.  The Bushnell has "Rainguard", do you have an opinion about that?  Leupold has just come out with their new line of scopes that are supposedly brighter.  What do you think about the new Leupolds?  I am putting this scope on a Remington 700 in 338, and want the lower power for the field of view up close.  I am not concerned about weight or size, and they are all pretty close in price.  Do you like one of these, or would you steer me somewhere else?  Thanks for your help.   
hangfire View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hangfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2004 at 21:42
I have the 1.5-5x Leupold and can recommend it. It is probably the lightest of the three. Weavers are always a good value. Elite's are tough scopes and have rainguard, but a little heavy. You would probably be happy with any of these three.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2004 at 17:48

Nikon does now make a Monarch 1" 1.5-4.5x20 and it is right in the running with the others you mention.  These scopes are so close that you would be splitting hairs to say one is brighter than the next but based on what my eyes see and what many of our customers have said, the Grand Slam is the brightest (compared to Vari X-III, Elite 4200 and Monarch).  I think everyone will agree the Leupold wins in reliability hands down.  The rainguard is a nice feature if you hunt in rain, snow or extreme cold.  The new VX-III has not been out long enough to yet to get any real world feed back or comparison test done.  All of them have plenty of eye relief as do most lower powered scopes.  The widest field of view of the bunch is the Grand Slam at 21'-71' at 100 yds., the narrowest was the Nikon at 16'-50' at 100 yds.  All have lifetime warranties with Leupold being the easiest and fastest to work with if problems should arise.  All have plenty of tube to mount on a long action.  The objective lenses on this group vary from 20mm to 36mm making them optically correct in low light on different powers.  The two 20mm scopes (VX-III and Nikon) will transmit perfect light on 2.9x, the Grand Slam does it on 4.5x(its highest setting) and the Elite 4200 on 5.1x.  The Elite is the only one of the group that is a quad power scope and offers the broadest power range (1.5-6x)

If field of view is important and I know it is by your questions, then go with the Weaver.  If you think you will need a higher magnification in low light the 32 and 36mm objectives of the Grand Slam and Elite are inviting.  Hunting primarily in extreme cold and or wet conditions Elite 4200 would be best.  If you are warranty conscious and have time to see how the new VX-III is fairing Leupold might be worth it.  No matter how you slice it though the Nikon has no clear advantage other than price.

Taking everything into consideration for your specific needs, application and question I would rank them in this order.

Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6x36.....$294.95

Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-4.5x32.....$269.95

Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20......$399.99

Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20.....$239.99

temccoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote temccoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2004 at 10:20
Chris - thank you very much for your feedback, it is difficult to sort out these different scopes.  I agree with you that the Bushnell seems to be the best choice.  I like the field of view at 1.5X, and the 6X is useful at the range for testing ammo.  The rainguard could also prove useful in the field.  My only complaint is that it is not available in a gloss blue finish, but I will live with the matte.  Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic