OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR optics?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote czgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR optics?
    Posted: March/31/2007 at 00:51
Hi all, I am totally new here, and totally new to the optics thing.
I was referred here from arf.com, where my questions were completly ignored.
I have been shooting the AR platform for about 5 years since I joined the Army. I recently acquired a Stag 1L w/flat upper, and would like to put on a scope.
I really like iron sights, but the 300 meter targets are getting fuzzy now.
I am trying to do this on a budget, as school is expensive. I am planning on mounting it in a LaRue Tactical quick release mount/ring setup or similar.
I know "you get what you pay for", but I am looking for a "civvie" scope, not to take into Iraq (again).
I would say the high for me would be $250.
Whatcha go?
thanks!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2007 at 02:02

Welcome to The OT!

Thanks for your service to our country! 

What are you going to be shooting and how far?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2007 at 08:13
Ok you want too put a scope on an AR so that you can maintain your profeciency and lets say possibly hunt varmits as the cartridge is not suitable for legal use on deer. Since you are not setting up a CQB gun you dont need an Aimpoint or EOTech and you are wanting to shoot 300 yds so something in the 6x to 10x or a 2-7 or 3-9 variable sounds like the plan. My first pick would be a $299  10x Super Sniper and I would settle for less expensive rings. Weaver makes a riser that will bring the flat top up to the right height for about $35 there are better out there but this is useable and a set of Weaver 30mm rings wont break the bank either Warne steel rings are better and for a few dollars more you can find some Leupold quick release rings. If you had the $$$$ I'd say Badger rings but   were on a budget so put the extra $50 into the scope and  for now put weaver rings and riser on it. If this route is too much: use something like a Burris 200129   2-7x35 fulfield II tactical at $209.95 and a similar set up using 1 in rings. If that is too much money stick a Weaver K6 on it for $130.  buy what you can afford but if you can afford the Super Sniper you will enjoy it, and the Burris would probably be a good second choice. Other possibles are Sightron 1.5-6x42 or Bushnell 3200 series scopes of which several power range choices are available. 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2007 at 10:36

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Ok you want too put a scope on an AR so that you can maintain your profeciency and lets say possibly hunt varmits as the cartridge is not suitable for legal use on deer. Since you are not setting up a CQB gun you dont need an Aimpoint or EOTech and you are wanting to shoot 300 yds so something in the 6x to 10x or a 2-7 or 3-9 variable sounds like the plan. My first pick would be a $299  10x Super Sniper and I would settle for less expensive rings. Weaver makes a riser that will bring the flat top up to the right height for about $35 there are better out there but this is useable and a set of Weaver 30mm rings wont break the bank either Warne steel rings are better and for a few dollars more you can find some Leupold quick release rings. If you had the $$$$ I'd say Badger rings but   were on a budget so put the extra $50 into the scope and  for now put weaver rings and riser on it. If this route is too much: use something like a Burris 200129   2-7x35 fulfield II tactical at $209.95 and a similar set up using 1 in rings. If that is too much money stick a Weaver K6 on it for $130.  buy what you can afford but if you can afford the Super Sniper you will enjoy it, and the Burris would probably be a good second choice. Other possibles are Sightron 1.5-6x42 or Bushnell 3200 series scopes of which several power range choices are available. 

Good advice above.  To give better advice, we'd need to know what you intend to shoot out to 300 yards.  Will you be punching paper only?  Will you be shooting from a bench only?  Would you want  to use as a CQB wep?  What is your current comfort level with optics?  Stuff like that.

And, as they said, thank you for your service to our great country.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
VNVGUNNER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VNVGUNNER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2007 at 11:51

LaRue scope mount, best made for an AR flattop.

Edited by VNVGUNNER
czgunner View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote czgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2007 at 15:28
I would mainly be shooting paper (man sized) at 300 meters, but would like to zap little varmints on my friends farm sometimes too.
I know this is only a 16" barrel, and I recognize my own limitations as a shooter...
Danthe19Delta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danthe19Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2007 at 17:48
My son is in your boat.  We chose a Burris Fullfield 3-9 with Ballistic Plex.  The 9 gets him 300 meters easy, the 3 lets him search really close.  Great scope for the bucks.
Ivory Moon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic