OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help choosing optic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help choosing optic
    Posted: March/30/2007 at 00:30

Hello everyone. I'd like to get some help choosing between Leupold and IOR.

I'm looking at either Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 30mm Illuminated with M2 dials and TMR reticle, and IOR Valdada 3-18x42 35mm Illuminated MP8 reticle.

I know about the leupold I own the 3.5-10x40 MK4 milldot with m3 dials and I like it. But I have never seen one of the IOR Valdadas before and would like to know what would be the better optics.

Oh and I will be putting this on a SA M1A using a Sadlak steel mount, it will be used for target shooting and deer hunting. Thanks for any and all iput.

Semper Fi

Danthe19Delta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danthe19Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2007 at 17:19
I've decided on the Zeis 4X14-56 mildot on the M1A.  I've got the Titanium Sadlak. But a buddy has ordered the IOR scope you want, he is trading in the IOR 2-12 to get it and this guy is really finiky about what he uses.  I chose the Zeis because of what I believe is the glass clarity.

Edited by Danthe19Delta
Ivory Moon
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2007 at 20:26

Neither scope is a slouch but the IOR is optically better than the Leupold.  I have a 35mm IOR 6x24 50mm and have been extremely happy with it's performance and quality of build.  I can't imagine a reason why the IOR you're considering would not completely live up to your expectations & needs.

Best of luck & let us know what you decide.

jbeam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2007 at 02:21
Thanks guys I've been leaning more towards the IOR I've been hearing good things about them just kind of woried about that large looking eye peice housing hitting my rear sight. I'm looking at the medium rings to use on my M1A.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2007 at 03:12

jbeam, why the lit reticle??

I owned a IOR with a lit MP8.

Mine wasn't worth a damn, (too bright @ lowest setting) but maybe they have gotten better, not sure.

I think even koshkin has commented negatively about IOR's illuminated reticle.

Welcome to The OT, jbeam!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2007 at 08:35

Let me save you some frustration here.  The SA M1a is NOT I repeat NOT a good choice for either target shooting or deer hunting. It is probably the best battle rifle ever made but most guns mine included are about a 2moa gun which is fine for a battle rifle (they need some play in the parts like the always works AK47 or else they jam when dirty like the cursed  precisely fit and accurate M-16). The M1a does  not have the kind of accuracy that can take advantage of either of the scopes mentioned unless you spend huge amounts of money on it (Ask GAPrecision). I will note that I have had on my M1a a Leupold Mark 4  8.5-25 x 50 Illuminated , a Super Sniper 20x, and an aimpoint. Of these the Aimpoint is the most suitable optic for that rifle. So here is my recomendation:

11420 Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight                        Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 1 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
SWFA: $439.95

More Info... Buy Now

11419 Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight                           Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $344.95
More Info... Buy Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2007 at 09:12

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2007 at 20:02
I think the ideal scope for a M1A or a FN FAL is a high quality 6x scope.....any thing close and I goto irons...just a thought
jbeam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2007 at 22:55
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Let me save you some frustration here.  The SA M1a is NOT I repeat NOT a good choice for either target shooting or deer hunting. It is probably the best battle rifle ever made but most guns mine included are about a 2moa gun which is fine for a battle rifle (they need some play in the parts like the always works AK47 or else they jam when dirty like the cursed  precisely fit and accurate M-16). The M1a does  not have the kind of accuracy that can take advantage of either of the scopes mentioned unless you spend huge amounts of money on it (Ask GAPrecision). I will note that I have had on my M1a a Leupold Mark 4  8.5-25 x 50 Illuminated , a Super Sniper 20x, and an aimpoint. Of these the Aimpoint is the most suitable optic for that rifle. So here is my recomendation:

11420 Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight                        Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 1 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $439.95

More Info... Buy Now

11419 Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight                           Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $344.95
More Info... Buy Now

Well that mabe so, (not trying to be a know it all or an ass by the way). 

I used my m1a last year for deer hunting

with the iron sights, and I was pretty impresed with it. I was a much better shot with it even better than with my remminton 700. Mabe I do need to rethink my optics abit, or mabe just use the iron sights. I would like to have some thing with some power at least 5x. I quess I'm just used to using the military type sights from training with the M16 in the Marines (3rd award expert). So this type of rifle is more comfortable to me I quess. 

sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2007 at 09:08
I have a friend who used his M1A to kill a moose, and then sent the photos in to the NRA when the whole assault weapons thing was big news, regarding "non-sporting use weapons."   The animal doesn't care what weapon the bullet came out of (as long as the bullet is the proper design...(don't shoot deer with 168gr GMM.....I did that a few years back but I didn't have the time to rezero my 700P with something more appropriate....got little pieces of jacket in the meat....before I figured out that my W70 (my real hunting rifle....didn't have it with me when the deer hunt popped up) really likes 150gr and will shoot 1MOA all day with them (even went 1/2 MOA with Radway Green ball)...I was lucky to get 2 MOA out of it with 165gr SPs, but I still wouldn't have hesitated to shoot bambi with it.   I think another great option would be an ACOG with a .308 BDC (TA01B) or possibly better yet for what you want to do, the IOR 6x30 tactical with MP-8 reticle.  Several people have commented the IOR 6x42 is a great scope, so I'd look at that as well.

Edited by sandsock
jbeam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2007 at 13:36

The reason I'm looking at 2.5-10 or similar power settings is that I hunt in North Dakota.

It's wide open and we dont have lots of woods lots of wetlands scattered abound but pretty much flat

and open. You could be walking around the wetlands and deer come out from under youre feet or youre
walking a tree row in an open field and the deer runs out to small section of cattails 300 yrds out. And

the weather here can be different day to day or one year its -30 and 3 feet of snow with white out blizzards and the next year no

snow and youre wearing youre t-shirt. Or fog is constant the hole day were youre optics arent the best choise for the day and my good

ol iron sights are the best choise.

Thats why the I chose to use the setup I use. The red dot optics would be fine if thats all I do is hunt in thick brush and have close up shots

but Its just not the right optics for how I have to hunt . Alot of people say well why spend all the money on a tactical

scope that is way to much scope for what you whant to do well I like the fact that there are More selection for reticles, power ranges

side focus,  and useualy allot more tougher than the normal hunting scope. I dont hunt out of my truck. And I usualy dont shoot at deer past 500yrds

with the .308 I do try to shoot as far as I can while I'm target shooting.

Danthe19Delta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danthe19Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2007 at 22:09
Who are you kidding.  I fired a 96 with 8X's at the 600 meter line last year with a NM M14.  I've done that at least 10 times in the past 10 years.  I'm putting a Leupold MK4 $-14 LRT on mine with a Sadlak Titanium mount.  I just ordered one of the new SAE mounts for a Doctor optic to mount on it also.  My experience is that a variable is needed because low power allows much quicker near search, high power reaches out, and the Doctor canted on the scope means you don't have to change weapons for up close.
Ivory Moon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic