OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

case cleaners?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deerkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: case cleaners?
    Posted: March/28/2007 at 19:27

What type of case cleaners do you guys suggest. I am trying to set up my reloading bench and dont want to waste time and money with junk products (i want to do it right the first time).  I saw that Cabelas has an RCBS vibratory case cleaner on sale for 59.99, is this a good cleaner?  I bought the RCBS rock chuker kit and was impressed with the quality of its components, everything seemed to be well made so that is why i mentioned the RCBS vibratory cleaner, but i dont want to exclude other brands so who else makes a good cleaner. 

Also what about Case trimmers i see that they range from 5.99$ up to 100$ or more.  Are the handheld ones sufficient for moderate loading (75 cases or so at a time)?  Or is a bolted down more expencive unit a better option?  I dont really want to buy twice so what do you experienced loaders think?

Thanks guys  

griffin  

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2007 at 21:00

i have a live time theory that applies to almost anything, pay now or pay again later, buy once buy for life! rcbs makes great stuff i use there stuff now and have for years

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
deerkiller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deerkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2007 at 23:32

Pyro you use rcbs!

Do you have any experience with their vibratory cleaner. Cabelas has some good reviews on these cleaners but i wanted to get the opinion of the ot members like yourself, i have already gotten a lot of good information from here so that is why i was asking.  I agree with you, if you can, buy once and buy for a lifetime. which It seems like you really can with a lot of this reloading equipment.  Just wish it was that easy when it came to buying a new vehicle.  but i guess that wouldnt be any fun though would it! 

Thanks i'll probably stick with rcbs.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2007 at 06:23
i dont have there tumbler but im sure its still a good one it looks like its pretty sturdy, and it says rcbs on it  so i would feel confident in purchasing it, the only reason i dont have one is because a friend of mine gave me a (competitor) model with extra tub for free and it works good but i wish it was as big as the rcbs, i use the corn cob media in the tumbler and this maybe a little overkill, but i leave my shells in for 4 hours, and they come out looking about 98-99% new so if it craps the bed i am for sure going to buy the rcbs
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2007 at 19:02

Deerkiller, Pyro............Howdy, keep in mind tumblers all come from nearly the same source...Dont spend too much, just make sure the source  honnors the warranty............

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2007 at 20:20
i wasnt aware of that, okay then most any tumbler is a good tumbler just as long as the company will stand behind it
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2007 at 21:39
I have a Lyman, about like all of the others. Works fine no problems but depends on the media that you use as to how well it cleans the cases. I think that the media is the more important part. Almost all vibratory cleaners are about the same. I would go for the one with a good warrenty at the least money and refresh the media often.  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2007 at 21:52
i like the crushed up corn cob/stalk stuff works pretty well so far, i dont know if i am over killing on the cleaning i have been leaving the tumbler on for about 2-4 hours.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2007 at 21:55
Pyro, how ya doin..??
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2007 at 21:59
great
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
deerkiller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deerkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2007 at 23:16

I also didn't know that they were made from the same source, but i did notice that a lot of the vibratory cleaners were right about the same price.  so i think ill go for the rcbs for 59.99 it comes with a 2 year warranty, and i have heard good reports on rcbs customer service.  ill try the corn cob too. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2007 at 15:36
All of the case tumblers are pretty much as good as any other.  They are so simple, there's just not much to them.  I have an RCBS and it works fine.  Some of my friends have other brands and they work fine too.  There's nothing magical about any particular brand/model.  All they do is house some media and vibrate so that the cases roll around in the media awhile.  There's really not much to screw up with one.  I would suggest just buying one from a noted brand and it will work as intended.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2007 at 15:38
i think when i buy another one i wanna buy one that seperates the media and the cases when cleaning is completed
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2007 at 15:46
Yeah, that's handy.  I just have one of those media separators from Cabelas that you dump your cases into, spin the handle and the media drops in the bottom of the container.  Inexpensive and works as advertised.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2007 at 15:47

that maybe a better idea yet, i didnt think of that do they make much of a mess??

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2007 at 10:54

There could be potential for a mess when you transfer the cases over to the media separator basket, but in actual use, it doesn't create a mess because the basket is completely enclosed inside a container.  You just turn the handle, and it slings any remaining media out of the cases and into the container.  Then, you pour the media from the separator container back into your case tumbler when you're through.  It's inexpensive (less than $25) and easy to use, so to me, it's a handy tool that makes a lot of sense. 

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?i d=0012554214213a&type=product&cmCat=search&retur nPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=media+separator& N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1& Ntt=media+separator&noImage=0

Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic