OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Does Zeiss have a MOA reticle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Zeiss have a MOA reticle?
    Posted: September/02/2004 at 15:14

After trying both mil-dot and MOA reticles (as on the Nightforce NP-RR), it seems a lot easier to estimate range with MOA reticles.  However, I'd prefer Zeiss based upon the scope weight and field of view.

Does Zeiss make a MOA-based reticle as well?  Or will I have to settle for a Nightforce?  Thanks!

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2004 at 16:59

nope, not that i have seen, but with the mildot master, and your ballistics, its not hard at all to compensate with the mildot.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
shan2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2004 at 19:00

Umm...what's a mildot master?  (Sorry for such a noobish question.)

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2004 at 19:14

its a little card, that you slide in, and out of this little pocket thing, and its tells you what so many inches, or mil's at x yards is. http://www.riflescopes.com/departments/294/accessories/mil-d ot_master.htm

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
shan2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2004 at 19:18

Oh, boy.  It's a slide rule. 

Which scopes have MOA reticles?  Is it only Nightforce?

(Thanks for the prompt responses.  You guys are GREAT!)

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2004 at 19:22

hmmm... MOA, as in each line is 1 MOA below the other, or bullet drop reticles, sorry, never heard that term before.

cory

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2004 at 19:35

ok, no reply yet, so im going to assume you mean drop compensating retices. if so, these are the ones i know of, i may leave some out if they dont come to mind: leupold varmint hunters, and boone&crockett. burris ballistic plex, and ballistic mil-dot. swarovski TDS, and christmas tree (christmas tree only available on a 10x model). kahles TDS. nightforce NPR-2, NPR-1, and i beleave there might be another. springfield armory has one too. thats all i can think of at the moment, ill post again if i think of some more. i feel like im leaving some out.

cory

shan2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2004 at 07:22

Thanks for the info.

I meant that the lines on the scope are calibrated in minutes of angle.  If I'm looking at an average sized deer and notice that it's taking up 2 minutes of angle on the scope reference lines, I'd know that 18/2 x 100 yards = 900 yard range.  (Well, I'm not trying to pop a deer at 900 yards, but you know what I mean.)

I find the calculations to be a lot faster in minutes of angle.  Who ever designed scopes with miliradian range finders and MOA adjustments on the turrets, anyway?  It's such a counter-intuitive thing to do.

I did a little more snooping and so far, I've found only 2 companies with reticles calibrated in minutes of angle.  One is Nightforce with their NP-RR.  The other is U.S. Optics.  The U.S. Optics reticle has one with 40 (!!!) minutes of angle marked in elevation and both sides of windage.

I'm going on vacation, so I'll be off the boards until Monday night or so.  Cory, if at all possible, I'll buy the next scope from you guys.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic