OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Calibrated scope for .223

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krshunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calibrated scope for .223
    Posted: March/27/2007 at 14:30

I have a new .223 that I am loading with 55 grain bullets.  Unfortunately at this time price will play a role in my decision about a scope.  The two I have narrowed the list down to are the BSA Sweet 223 and the Burris Fullfield II with BP reticle.  Any suggestions?  Right off I'm sure there is probably some optical difference between the two, but I have hear a lot of good about the BSA Sweet 17 and 22 with the calibrated turrets.  Seems like a nice set up.  I will be using the rifle at the range for 100-300yd benchrest shooting and prairie dogs.  Low light is not of concern.  Comments other than considering other scopes?  Thanks

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2007 at 15:11

what's is your pricerange?

i don't know if i would worry too much about the bulet drop @ 300 yrds - as a .223 is pretty flat.

bsa is not that great for glass, and the fullfield is definitely better IMO.

give us a budget and we can suggest a decent setup for that rifle.

welcome to the OT.

J

krshunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krshunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2007 at 15:24
Need to stay in the $200 range.  I understand that Burris can calibrate their reticles too and put target turrets on.  Don't know the additional price but they are right down the road from me. 
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2007 at 17:18

I would stay with Burris if you can it is a much better scope, you might check with SWFA by phone and ask Chris what kind of 2006 Nikon Monarch they have in stock at your price range . Does the 200 include the scope base and rings? I would try to go with a 4 to 14 or 16 power scope if you can but I have used a 2 1/2 to 10 power in the past with prairie dogs. I would check out the SWFA sample list for used scopes too

Good Luck

Duce 

Duce
krshunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krshunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2007 at 10:39
I do already have rings on the rifle so this will be for the scope alone. 
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2007 at 12:20

Duce has good advice.  Check on the monarch's that are left - they are EXCELLENT for the money.

if not, burris will make a fine addition to your .223.

good luck, and let us know what you decide.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic