OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

prairie dog shooting and lead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 14:17

Cheaptrick is quite perspicacious.  I think the Root of what he was trying to say is that the all-copper Barnes bullets are frequently and erroneously cited as being a viable prairie dog bullet, when in fact a bullet design with a Slim, highly frangible jacket is more effective on the little critters.  Those of us who've spend a lot of time exploding prairie poodles have found bullet designs like the Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint, Speer TNT, Sierra Blitzking, Berger MEF, Hornady V-Max & SP, etc. do a much better job of kicking rodent Asp!  As for lead and the environment, I'm all for protecting the environment as much as possible, if indeed the small amount of lead in jacketed bullets really does present problems to the degree cited.  However, too often those who get up in arms about lead are hiding their real anti-gun agenda, and they are often the same busybodies who complain about the use of ATVs on public forest service roads.

Edited by cyborg - August/28/2008 at 23:16
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 14:39

I vote for the Hornaday V-Max , it my experence to works very well and it cost about half what the Corbon DPX with the Barnes bullets. Looking at the two cartrages in my pistol the Hornady 240 gr. xtp/mag looks just like the Corbon with the Barnes excedpt the cuts in the bullet appear to be deeper and cleaner cut. My point the Barnes are good but just don`t seem to justify the price.

Duce 

Duce
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 16:08

Let loose the hounds!!!!!!!

Talley Ho!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 16:42

Larryeee....Come out to playeeee....Larryeee....come out to playeeeee!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 16:45

Hey, CT, based on your new avatar and the use of the term "Talley Ho," are you a former fighter pilot?  If so, what bird did you fly?

The reference to combat pilots reminds me of the many stories my neighbor (Larry Asproot, call sign "Slim") used to tell me about his 3 tours flying Thuds over the Red River and the buddies "on the wall" he lost "over there."

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 17:00
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Hey, CT, based on your new avatar and the use of the term "Talley Ho," are you a former fighter pilot?  If so, what bird did you fly?

The reference to combat pilots reminds me of the many stories my neighbor (Larry Asproot, call sign "Slim") used to tell me about his 3 tours flying Thuds over the Red River and the buddies "on the wall" he lost "over there."

No fighter jock here, Brother.

Just a lowly 47252, which is or was a General Purpose Vehicle Maintenance guy.

I was with the 27th Transportation Sq. @ Cannon AFB, NM. for 2.5 years.  

I was just one of "the little people".

I had the privilege of knowing some real deal fighter jocks though.

Great people!!

Funny, theres ONLY ONE guy that I ever knew that referred to Thailand as "in country"..... 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2007 at 20:57

i wonder if shooting an atv with a tsx out of my 300h&h is cool with the univerisity of wyoming?? laramie is a party town i know ive been there and done that, and i know that the enviro nuts fund that school to do a lot of dumbass scientific studies that dont produce anything good. what a waste

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 04:03

Originally posted by john45acp john45acp wrote:

The term "in country" is still in use today. My daughter-in-law is in Iraq and other places and frequently uses the term as shorthand to indicate Iraq.
Usage began among those of us who served in theater in LBJ's misadventure and was generally extended to all places where there was shooting. The ROK SF will tell you that there plenty of that in Thailand too, contrary to the motor pool scuttlebutt. How are you able to post all these neat pictures?

john45acp:

I haven't seen you on Optics Talk before now, so I would like to extend a warm welcome to you Sir.

Also, Godspeed to your daughter in law who's serving in Iraq.

From the Motor Pool:

Concerning the whole "in country" deal:

There's a certain individual here who has made some claims concerning his military record.

He claims to have been a F-105 driver stationed in Thailand and flew combat sorties over into Vietnam.

3 tours, mind you.

Based on his behavior I have witnessed here on The OT and other forums, I find his claims highly suspect. 

I have concluded that the guy may have been stationed in Thailand at some time, based on some of his intimate knowledge concerning the price of a Thai....lady of the night, shall we say.   

I may be wrong concerning his military campaigns. He may indeed have been a THUD driver, 3 tours, etc. Flying combat missions into Vietnam would certainly constitute being " in country" as well.

My Dad was boots on the ground in Vietnam for 11 months (caught Hepititus his 11th month) and called it in country. Friends of mine who were in Vietnam called it in country.

Nobody I ever knew who served in Thailand ( I knew more than a few) ever referred to it as in country. Dad had never heard of anybody referring to a tour in Thailand as in country either.

Thailand was considered pretty safe duty for AF dudes compared to Vietnam, although I can't speak for ROK soldiers stationed there.

Hell, some GI's stationed in Vietnam actually R&R'd in Bangkok, or so I'm told. 

Edit to add:

In short, I'm saying that based on this individuals claims, time in service, the "in country" deal, 3 tours over there, etc., etc....Is BS.

Edited by cheaptrick
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 07:13
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Cheaptrick is quite perspicacious.  I think the Root of what he was trying to say is that the all-copper Barnes bullets are frequently and erroneously cited as being a viable prairie dog bullet, when in fact a bullet design with a Slim, highly frangible jacket is more effective on the little critters.  Those of us who've spend a lot of time exploding prairie poodles have found bullet designs like the Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint, Speer TNT, Sierra Blitzking, Berger MEF, Hornady V-Max & SP, etc. do a much better job of kicking rodent Asp!  As for lead and the environment, I'm all for protecting the environment as much as possible, if indeed the small amount of lead in jacketed bullets really does present problems to the degree cited.  However, too often those who get up in arms about lead are hiding their real anti-gun agenda, and they are often the same busybodies who complain about the use of ATVs on public forest service roads.

Now that's funny RD. I just barfed my jo all over the place.

Edited by cyborg - August/28/2008 at 23:19
Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 13:02
something never change

Edited by cyborg - August/28/2008 at 23:31
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 15:19
i dont care we are talking about varmints here pesky animals that dig holes in the ground care nasty diseases and cause more livestock and horse's life ending injury's than any other thing on the planet and you want me to worry about a little bit of lead???? that's like wiping before you poop come on

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 15:51
cold steel rain
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 15:55

Originally posted by tenxes tenxes wrote:

rifledude, perhaps if you had read the description of the new barnes varmint bullet rather than doing an audition for a lounge lizard act in Vegas, you would have noted that these new bullets are not solid copper but rather a bi-metalic non lead bullet.
I was told this site was a place for in depth discussion. It appears to me that "insider" entertainment is more on target.
lead bullets will be banned on federal property at some time because most people who solicit and make the rules are not hunters. the experience with lead shot, although not apples to apples, will make the perfect entry point. I remember all the whining about that ban and guess what? hevishot is superior to lead. barnes is on the inside track as all of their bullets (except the originals) will pass the no lead test. Based on what I read in the sporting press there are no complaints about how well any of the current barnes bullets work on paper or game.bet you a case of bud lite that all the bullet makers will have non lead hunting bullets in the next 5 years.

C'mon Larry, I know full well the new Barnes bullets are a delrin-tipped, tungsten core design.  I read about it in Handloader magazine, who said it was the finest bullet of its type anywhere in the known universe.  They even had quantitative "side by side testing" in ballistic goo that proved without a shadow of a doubt that it will soon make all other varmint bullets obsolete.  Thanks for bringing me back on track here.  Although I'm certain it will become the favored bullet for varmint hunters nationwide, what I really want to know is how it performs on ATV blocks...

Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 16:05
i cant believe as much as you enjoy horses that you would argue for a critter that causes more injury to horses than dogs wolves coyotes mountain lions ever would

Edited by cyborg - August/28/2008 at 23:32
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 16:11
tin core bc around .125 36 grs. boy are you going to have to push them.. 4000fps?????  But let me get this straight if I go out and shoot at steel targets on fed. land instead of shooting pd with lead bullets --its ok, or will lead simply not be allowed on fed land?? what are the going to use a tin magnet???
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 16:58
i find it hard to believe that any of this is even being thought of, for christ sake its wyoming its the land of nothing, its 15 miles past the end of the world and 3 miles past hell, the land where there is plenty and as long as you arent hurting someone else they dont care what you do. if deer and elk and moose and cattle and antelope ate gophers and pdogs then i could see it becoming an issue but i dont feel sorry for any varmint that dies from lead poisoning instead of the perfect shot dead is dead on varmints whether they die right away or not should matter
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 17:22
hey pyro they're going to swear those doggies in as deputy sheriffs, so they can enforce it.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2007 at 18:44
yeah thats such bullsh*t i cannot even fathom this is being mentioned in the state i called home for most of my life, course they always had stuff backwards there, like even in-state hunters had to draw out to hunt antelope, and they out-number the total population of the state by a ton, but yet they had a stretch there for a few years where everyone could shoot 10 deer during on hunting season and after they did that a couple of years in a row we had some bad winters and now deer hunting is terrible. and now they have people whispering about protecting varmints???
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 10:43
yeah well you need to read more his idea of the ultimate world is tsx no atv's and no new cartridges, wsm's ultra's weatherby's none of that stuff, by the way i never told you to read anything i never even mentioned his handle to you and i can disagree with someone with fowl language and still know that they think its still the only way things should be done , boddington will use whatever the guy who signs his check tells him to use, i know if i were in his position i would, i really like reading his articles and i respect him a lot. rms was plain and simple an ass
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2007 at 10:49

i dont see what wrong with this starting load in my 300wsm, with a factory setup no aftermarket add on's other than the limbsaver

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic