OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tactical Scope Idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tactical Scope Idea
    Posted: March/25/2007 at 10:06

If most close combat by definition occurs within 100 meters, then wouldn't a scope designed for fast, dangerous African game be a good scope for an AR Carbine?  Specifically, I am thinking of the Burris 1.75-5 x 32 Signature Safari Scope with the Fast Plex Lighted Reticle:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8129-206-burris-175-5x32-signature-sa fari-rifle-scope.aspx

Seems like a natural in that bad guys are fast dangerous game. 

Opinions?

I am thinking of buying one for that purpose.

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Onepoint View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2007 at 11:22
It was pointed out to me by someone, that because its a scope and not a red dot, when you use the low power setting and illuminated reticle for open eyed head hup shooting, you suffer from some significant parallax unless you assume the same cheek weld as when zeroing. That kind of negates the main advantage that a holo/red dot has.

I think its a good idea, have been looking at a leupold mr/t or IOR that are similar to that, it excells at neither end of a scope or red dot, but makes a good compromise.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2007 at 13:56

For CQB, I'd recommend something with no magnification.  "Both eyes open" doesn't work well with a magnified scope for several reasons (in CQB situations; in long-range shots, there’s another side to the story – but it ain’t needed here.)

If you are thinking of possibly needing close, medium, and potentially longer ranges, I'd recommend EOTech.  The center 1 MOA dot can work at range while the larger circle is quick on target with a nice field of view.  Also, an inch low at 25 yards puts me about 2 inches low at 250 yards.

I have an Aimpoint too which is a great site but isn't quite as fast on target as the EOTech, in my opinion.

I have the EOTech on my home defense AR and the Aimpoint on the hog-killing, bad-people-eradicating SOCOM.

The single most important question to ask is what is the primary purpose of the weapon.  With that, the scope choices narrow quickly.  If you find that there is a primary need (CQB) and a close secondary (possible engagement out to 200 or so), I'd go with the EOTech.

Under no circumstances that I can figure would I mount a scout scope on an AR.  It would work fine on a rail up front, but for such a limited utility that another weapon would better serve your purposes.

And, again, from the last thread: is that a .223 or .308 AR build?  The difference is scope is significant!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2007 at 17:09
2x is about all two eyes open and the scope should be located in a more forward position. (extended eye). The new EO with the calibrations was build just for you. As coolaid points out scouts were invented because of open receivers, ie bolts and socoms
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2007 at 21:10

The best advise from the experts I know is that the EOTech is almost a second and a half faster to engage targets in combat. While I understand the appeal of optics that work even when bateries are unavailable and the switch isn't turned on,  I have to say R.C. nailed it when he suggested the EOTech. Not everyone who has an AR is setting it up for CQB so there are other optics that will work nicely for different applications.  These might be worth a look if you feel you need magnification.  

IOR114X26CRTILL IOR 1.1-4x26 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                      IOR 1.1-4x26 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated CQB
  • 30mm

SWFA: $699.95

LEU56994 Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope                Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Special Purpose Reticle
  • 30mm
  • M2 Target Knobs
SWFA: $849.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2007 at 09:39

Agreed.

As I said, define the primary use and many, MANY options fall away.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic