OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold 8,5-25x50 Test No2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold 8,5-25x50 Test No2
    Posted: March/24/2007 at 13:40

This is the second test on the Leupold 8,5-25x50. The test was done at a distance of 100m  (109 yds)at the same magnification of 25. I fired two shots at the bull and got a 3/4inch grouping. I then cranked the windage 12 clicks to the right and fired to consecutive shots. The bullets moved 4inches right. with just over 1 and 1/4inch group. I then elevated it 12 clicks and fired two consecutive shots. The bullets went horizontally up and gouped 3/4inch. So far so good. I then dialed windage 12 clicks left and fired two consecutive shots. The bullets went....(drum roll....) 3 and 3/4inch left, but also just over an inch down. Grouping stayed just short of an inch. I then clicked 12 clicks down and went amazingly with two consecutive shots into less then a 1/4 inch grouping back to original zero. Pretty amazing stuff!! To retest the top shot I cranked it up 12 clicks and  fired one shot. I got a better elevation, but it still went over an inch right.

Now, can anyone tell me if the 109yds would account for the 4 inch movement whereas it should be 3 inch. It is 1/4 min clicks.

Dale, if you are reading this, it is my impression that turning the windage and elevation fully in and out has helped. It just sucks on the going top left bit. And the 4 inches in stead of 3 is a bit bothering.

What is my opnion after all of this?? Firstly I bought the scope for its 25x power for target shooting. The glass is clear enough for me, the varmint reticule really fine and nice. The parallax focus seem to do its job, so all in all I am satisfied. I was hoping that being a target scope that the dialling for windage and elevation would be more trustworthy, but is not a feature I really need or use. I thought I could save ammo when needing to make an adjustment!

In South Africa we do not have access to the American full range. We can do Nightforce and then the European range of Schmiidt and Bender, Swarovski etc. Pricewise I would have to go from $1200 to $2000, which I do not want to do. Our other options are Bushnell and a local company Lynx.

I will still buy the same telescope. I am going to fiddle with the dials a little bit more, but do not want to overdo it. Or drop it from a higher building.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2007 at 20:32

No the 109 wouldn't do it.  This test looks quite a bit better and moreof what you should expect although 2 shot groups a little light. "box" testing also is determined by the gun and load combination at its limitations. This target tells me the gun is capable of sub moa --but I don't know for how many shots.

without knowing enough of the entire picture, my discription is "the gun is over-scoped" a term meaning that the gun is not capable of shooting up to what the scope has to offer. Any time one gets past 20x other things become very important, neck turning, chamber dimension, because the scope can resolve and the shooter can shoot at a point on the target, but the gun can't.  The statistical nature of errors canceling is lost. This is the reason by some shooters claim they can shoot better groups with lower powers and prefer them. (and they do--there is no right or wrong here).

Don't be discouraged, you already know and have found out more about the scope than half the people that will use this forum--go forward with that knowledge. I'm suspecting also that this gun is an old friend and you know it too well, and as such trying to mould the scope around it abit. get to know know that scope and forget the Swaro S&b bullsh*t.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2007 at 05:01

Dale, Thanks for your response. I think you have hit the nail on the head. The rifle is a 30-06 Heym that I have hunted with for many years, first with iron sights on running game (bushbuck off hounds), and then later scoped it for kudu and plainsgame hunting. Walk and stalk stuff. Scoped with a 3,5-10 Leupold I never needed more.

You are absolutely correct that the rifle is overscoped, but I did that intentionally, so that if I decide to buy a varminter or something later, I do not want to re-invest in a scope.

Unfortunately it is a bit difficult to shoot the box using more ammo, as it means cleaning the rifle inbetween, which I am just to lazy to do. I find after twenty rounds or so the grouping starts to open up.

Herewith my trusty work horse. And also a kudu I shot with my 300H&H Sako scoped with the 3,5-10Leupold.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2007 at 09:58
You lucky SOB!!!!  (@#$%^&& gdamn I'm gealous)
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2007 at 15:28

Beautiful animal and gear, 8shots!!

Nicely done.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2007 at 15:34
Thanks guys, I have also posted a story under Hunting and Shooting if you want more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic