OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sned45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris
    Posted: March/07/2004 at 03:03

Can you tell me if the Pentax and Burris scopes are made by the same people?  They sure do share allot of the same features and have the same looks to them.

I'm currently looking at the Burris 8-32x signature select scope to put on my 22-250 and wondering what your opinions were on this scope?   And is there another scope you would recommend looking at for varmint hunting?

chasseur106 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2004 at 17:26

I can highly recommend the Burris scope.  I have also looked through the Pentax, also very nice.  I do not believe that Burris makes Pentax, and I have not remarked about any similarities, but they are both made in USA, so if you have any problems they are a local call away, not having to deal with overseas operators and exhorbitant rates is a GODsend, if you ask me...  I only hav a 6-24X44mm on my own .22-250, and have found that it is more than adequate for the shooting I do off of a tripod.  Too much magnification can put you at odds with the mild recoil of such a gun as this.  Yes I know it is mild, but at 24 power I lose my sight picture temporarily and have to have a buddy give me a spot with binocular beofre I know if I hit it at over 300 yards out to 500 yards.  Or I have to dial down the scope and reacquire the target.

Scott

hangfire View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hangfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2004 at 21:53
Yes Burris makes Pentax scopes. At first they were identical but lately they've been trying to get a little product differentiation. Just a little, though. The Burris 8x-32x is a great varmint scope, heavy, but beautiful view.

The international phone call comment was bizarre. I've had several imported scopes serviced by their brand name (Bushnell, etc.) and the 800 number call and UPS round trip was all domestic. Don't know what he was talking about. Anyway if you are worried about good service there are better brand names then Burris. Service is their Achillies heel.

chasseur106 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2004 at 09:30

Hello Hangfire,

I have not ever had to get a scope serviced.  Maybe you have had to do so and can say without reservation that all servicing goes on in this country, with 800 numbers and the like.  All I can say is that the quality of the scopes I have bought; all American made, have never had to leave my gun once properly installed, and sighted in.  I am not shooting just small easy kicking calibers either.  I have a .25-' 06, two .30-' 06's, and a .300 Win Mag.  None have ever gone off the gun in question, and all guns have shot more  than 5 boxes of ammo per year.  That is for all who don't understand, better than 100 + rounds of ammo.  Leupold VariX- III's and Burris SIgnatures is everything.  NO point in buying a scope t hat has less than a forever warranty on it, if you build the things so that you never have to worry about them.

THe one exception I have had was a handgun heads up display sight-in unit.  That is all.  I found out that you have to send that one out to Japan.  If you can get it serviced here, I would probably buy it, but since it was a lot of money to be putting down on something so small, I figured that I did not want to wait for it to go over there and then come back.

Yes you can always buy cheaper, you can even buy more expensive than I have bought.  But the buck's rub to me comes down to not having to constantly service the scope that is there primarily for pleasure, and gives you the degree of full field of crystal clear view, and repeatable, respectable adjustments...   So that I can see clearly with it, and not fuss with any of it.  I don't ever sell my guns, so my kids, and their kids will have them if we are still alowed to own any guns then... Who knows? 

I spent my time declaring that I will never spend more than two hundred bucks on a sight, that I look through 10- 30 times/year when I first started really shooting and reloading.  That all went buy the wayside when I had spent money for a Bushnell 3200 in 4-12X  scope with Rainguard on it.  It was a clear field of view scope, all the way out to the edges.  But, I don't know what it was, if I looked through that thing for more than 2 hours, it gave me such a splittting headache.  I used it atop my groundhog-go-gettum'-gun.  (.22-250)... At that time I did not have a decent binocular to look through.  I was still buying crappy hi mag power for little money, so I would use the scope.  WHen the problem was there for more than 5 sessions of 3 hours each consistantly, then I went to my local gun shop and traded what I had for Leupold, and the problem dissappeared never to return again.  I guess it boils down to your shooting frequency, and how much you want your gun to be worth with whatever scope you have...If you are tough on guns, an iron sight is still respectable and will never fog up... Is useable in low light, and is included with the purchase of some guns.

Hope this helps you.  

hangfire View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hangfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2004 at 21:55
Hello chasseur106,

I've gone through a similar journey, moving from cheap imports (many used) to good imports to (US) Redfield, Burris and Leupold. Alas, the US Redfield is gone.  Like you, I have never HAD to have a US made scope serviced, but unlike you, I have had some done. Huh? When getting one used I always send it in for a (free) checkup and recharge, or after dropping it... but not before the season is over.

The only brands I can say had BAD service departments were Miramar Florida based Tasco (now defunct) and Burris. The "forever warranty" is most valuable when you have to use it, and least valuable when it stinks. Turn-around times for any other import brand (Simmons, Bushnell, Weaver, etc.) were simply too fast to allow for foreign travel.

Don't know about the heads-up sights, don't trust anything that requires a battery to even work.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2004 at 15:18

What brand was the heads up display that required a trip overseas?  Just curious.  All major companies have a large U.S. presence that includes warranty repair facilities.  Shipping would absolutely kill the bottom line.  The Bushnell Holosight and EOTech are both heads up display holographic sights and are both warrantied in the U.S. FWIW.

Eotech

Holosight

SAKO 75 SS View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO 75 SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2004 at 20:29
BURRIS AND PENTAX ARE SEPERATE COMPANYS. BURRIS SCOPES AND BINOCULARS ARE MADE IN THE U.S.A., BUT THE GLASS THEY USE FOR THEIR OPTICS COMES FROM JAPAN. PENTAX OPTICS ARE MADE IN JAPAN. THE HIGHER END PENTAX ARE 100% JAPANESE MADE WHICH EQUATES TO HIGH QUALITY, BUT THEY MID TO LOWER END OPTICS ARE MADE IN CHINA AMONG VARIOUS OTHER FAR EAST COUNTRIES.  IF YOU READ DR. WAYNE VAN ZWOLL SPORTING OPTICS BOOK IT WILL TELL YOU ALL ABOUT THESE VARIOUS RIFLESCOPE AND BINOCULAR MANUFACTURES.
hangfire View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hangfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2004 at 01:15
Looking at Pentax riflescope "Made in USA" Hmmm.

Burris eliminated imported glass several years ago.

Don't confuse the camera and binoc stuff with the riflescopes.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2004 at 12:40

Pentax and Burris scopes are assembled in the same factory: Burris's facility (in Colorado I believe).  However, they use different lenses.  Both use Japanese lenses to the best of my knowledge, but spec'ed differently.  Basically, Pentax has contracted Burris to do the mechanical work on their scopes for them.  Therefore, you'll see some similar scope bodies on Pentax and Burris scopes with different optics.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2004 at 09:12

Here is the book that SAKO 75 SS is talking about.

Buy this book here.

pescador View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2004 at 13:31
I own a Burris Fulfield II 3-9x40 scope.  After the first two weeks of having the scope, I noticed that the reticle had tilted over to the side by about 15 - 20 degrees.  Concerned that something was broke, I emailed Burris and they said to send it in after hunting season had concluded.  I still had a hunt left and the scope did not disappoint despite the abnormality (shot head dead on).  Either way, I ended up sending in the bare scope.  They quickly e-mailed me back to tell me I was correct that the reticle had indeed rocked.  They fixed the issue and retested and purged the scope a few times before returning it to me with a new terry cloth to boot.  Overall, I'm still very satisfied with the scope as well as the service I received.  For the money I paid <$200, I feel as though it is a quality product, despite my falling victim to what I believe was a manufacturing defect.  Now should I have a further problem with the scope my opinion might change, but so far I'm happy.

Love the forum by the way.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 16:49
You are very lucky that the reticle did not shift all the way out on your hunt.  It probably created a bad parallax problem not being fixed in its cell.  Glad to hear you had a positive experience with Burris' customer service.  They have been hit or miss in the past.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic