OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Age limit to hunt ????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Age limit to hunt ????
    Posted: March/21/2007 at 14:19

In Texas there is no age restriction for hunters, it is at the parent’s discretion. Kids have to be at least 12 years old to take the state hunter safety class but are not required to, until age 17.  Any kid under 17 can hunt without the class as long as they are accompanied by someone that has taken the class or is grandfathered into not taking the class due to their age.  So, any Texas state residence can get a hunting license regardless of age and are not required to take the hunter safety class until they are an adult (17) at which time they can no longer get a license with out completing the class.

What's it like in your state, country or province?

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 14:45

Chris,

I think it is the same way in Georgia.

Witch then the problem is the a 16 year old can drive to hunting location hunt with out a person who has took the class and hunt with having licenses.so i think it should be law for them to take the class at 15.

That my thoughts.

Big

Mike Jones View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 15:35
12 years old in WI, then I think you have to be within shouting distance of an adult until you are 14
Beaudean View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaudean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 21:30

In LOUISIANA, 

any person younger than 16 years of age may hunt without a Hunter Safety Certificate if he is accompanied by, and is under the direct supervision, of a person 18 years of age or older, EXCEPT during statewide "Youth Hunts" youths must possess a hunter safety certification or proof of successful completion of a hunter safety course. Each youth must be accompanied by one adult 18 years of age or older. If the accompanying adult is in possession of hunter safety certification, a valid hunting license or proof of successful completion of a hunter safety course, this requirement is waived for the youth. Adults may not possess a firearm. Youths may possess only one firearm while hunting. Legal firearms are the same as described for deer hunting. The supervising adult shall maintain visual and voice contact with the youth at all times. An adult may supervise only one youth during this special hunt.

Copied and slightly edited form LAWF http://www.wlf.state.la.us/hunting/regulations/

Under general regulations.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 10:03

minnesota, you must be 12 to hunt big game and you must have hunter saftey and you must be with and mean right next to someone who is at least 18 with a hunter safety card as well, once the kid reaches 14 they can then hunt without the 18 yr old person.

wyoming: hunter safety card is a must and you cannot hunt big game until age 14.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 07:04

Ontario is similar to some of the above.  From age 12-15 you can hunt with a mentor (age 18 or above) without a licence.  You have to be in arms reach and share a firearm - anything shot by the younger is part of the bag limit for the mentor.  At age 15 if you get written permission from both parents you can take the Hunter Safety training course & get your own licence.  Age 16 and above you can take the course without parental consent.

This only part of our problem.  To hunt you normally require a firearm & have to get a Possession only or Acquisition & Possession permit in order to buy/borrow a firearm - don't get me started on this, I'll leave it to another time.

God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 07:29
i feel sorry for you canadians cant even have a pistol
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 08:44
Well, I have 3 handguns, Steyr 9mm, Redhawk, Smith 66, but just can't carry them or hunt with them.  Shooting is restricted to range use but from time-to-time .....
God save the Empire!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 11:48

In Nebraska, resident youth hunters do not need a license, but those ages 12 to 15 are required to carry a Hunter Education certification card while hunting. Nonresident youth are required to have a current nonresident youth hunting permit and a current Habitat Stamp. Youth hunters under 12 years old must be accompanied by a licensed hunter 19 years old or older.

take em!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 12:14
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

wyoming: hunter safety card is a must and you cannot hunt big game until age 14.

I'm pretty sure that in Wyoming a youth can hunt as soon as they are 12.  You are correct however that Hunter Education is required and you also must carry your Hunter Ed. card with you at all times while hunting.  Kids under 14 years old can legally hunt small game and birds without a license.

Utah kids do have to wait until they are 14.  Hunter Education is also required though, you provide proof of it when purchasing the license so; you do not have to have it with you while afield.

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2007 at 17:04
unless they changed it i didnt get to start to hunt till i was 14 in wyoming
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2007 at 17:11
yup i was just on the wyoming game and fish web site and they changed the age limit when i was younger it was age 14 now its age 12, wish it would have been that way when i was a kid.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2007 at 13:00

South Africa has only one law governing all the provinces. You have to be 21 years or older to own a fire arm!

There is no restriction on the age for hunting. So many fathers will take along kids anywhere from 12 upwards and let them shoot/hunt with weapons registered on the parents name. They have to be in "close proximity" at all times. Hunting regulations are provincial matters. We have two major controlling regulations, the season for hunting (mainly June and July) with some provinces permitting Aug depending on the species. The other is the daily bag limit. The time of hunting is strictly enforced, but the bag limit difficult to monitor. If your buddy has not shot something, one often lend a helping hand. We do not have a season bag limit, just a daily. So one can theoretically go out every day for 60 days and shoot 60 buck. Nobody will do that though.

We are in the process now of looking at bringing in stricter hunting regulations.

Our gun laws have become very strict. Besides all types of criteria about being a "fit and proper person to own a firearm" we also have to proove the "need" to own one. We are now also limited as a normal person to 4 firearms. One for self defense and 3 for sports/hunting or only four for sports/hunting. We also have to do a compentecy test.

And then of course we have a very competent Goverment/Civil Servants to administer the whole lot.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2007 at 17:53

I started in Missouri with my father and a daisy bb gun at crows at age 5, dad moved me up to a 20 ga single shot stevens at age 8 and quail hunting, trap and skeet shooting. A 22 rifle at 15 and a 12 gage Browning A5  as a gift from my mother at age 16. Apperently at that time there were no laws in Missouri just strict parent supervision. I am 68 now and limit my shooting to target and varmint hunting I like the chalange of long range shooting and the Kansas wind makes it interesting. Some of my best memories of my father were the days of him teaching me to shoot and hunt.

Duce

Duce
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2007 at 13:02

IOWA

Hunter education is a mandatory program that is designed to introduce students to several life-long skills that are important to the many different types of outdoor recreational opportunities. The course teaches students basic survival and first aid skills, water safety, wildlife identification, and the basics of wildlife management, hunting laws, and firearm/archery safety. Hunter education also stresses the importance of individual responsibility and outdoor ethics.

Iowa law requires that anyone born after January 1, 1967 must be certified in hunter education before they are eligible to purchase an Iowa hunting license. The minimum number of hours to complete the class is 10. Typically there is no charge for the course, unless lunch is furnished or room rental is required. Iowa recognizes hunter education certificates issued by another state or foreign nation.

A person who is 11 years old or older may enroll in a course, but those who are 11 and successfully complete the course shall be issued a certificate which becomes valid on that person's 12th birthday. Individuals under the age of 12 can be issued a deer or turkey license; however, a licensed adult hunter must accompany each youth hunter.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Karrde View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 15:05

Alabama

Anyone born after '78 ( I believe) has to go through the hunter education course before they're issued a hunting license.  And I don't think there's an age limit (emphasis on think, so don't quote me)...shoot, even CNN posted the story of the 11 yr old down here that bagged that half-ton hog.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 16:52

link to article

Karrde View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 07:26
That's the one
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 09:05
My son showed a real interest in shooting and hunting at age 6. We spent alot of time studying safety and proper handling of firearms. Today at 22 he still loves to hunt and shoot. Some of his best hunts have been when he has come back empty handed with a story of watching the game instead of shooting it, he called it respect for the game.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic