OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Conquest vs Swar American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outdoorAg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conquest vs Swar American
    Posted: March/20/2007 at 15:13
I'm looking to buy one of these from the sample list. I'll either take the Conquest in 4.5-14 or the Swarovski American in 6-18. Couple of questions for you guys:

• Is the Swarovski worth the extra money? Extra as in $400 extra for the 6-18.
  • Am I paying for better glass with Swar, or the name, or both?
  • How does the Swar warranty and customer service compare to Zeiss?
  • Will I see a noticeable difference on the high end between the 14 and 18 power?
Thanks for the help guys!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 15:48

Personally, I think the Swaro AV is considerably better optically than the Zeiss Conquest series.  Whether or not it is worth $400 extra is debatable.  To me it is.  I think the Swaro AV is a better scope overall than the Conquest, which, along with the higher magnification, accounts for its higher price.  I've never tested Zeiss CS, but Swaro's CS is excellent.  I don't know offhand what the difference in warranties are, as warranty has never been a concern for me personally when selecting any high end quality scope.  I doubt you'd have any problems with either, and if you did, you would probably notice it very soon after purchase.

On the difference @ high end magnification between 14 and 18, yes you will notice that 18 produces a larger target image than 14.  However, the real question is, do you really need that much magnification?  If this is for the deer rifle you discussed in another thread, I personally cannot visualize a situation where you really "need" even 14X, and you have to keep in mind that you'll probably eventually want sufficiently low power on the low end for close shots.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
outdoorAg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outdoorAg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 15:50
Thanks rifle dude. This is going on a 257wby - more of a varmint and small/medium game rifle for long shots. 300-500 yards.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 15:56
Even so, 12X is plenty of high end magnification.  I seldom use more magnification than this even when I'm shooting at prairie dogs beyond 700 yards.  14X is certainly enough on the upper end.  I believe you're almost always better off spending extra money on better optical quality than more magnification.  However, since you stated this is for a varmint rifle, 6X is o.k. on the low end in most situations, so the 6-18 would be a good scope.  I've compared the AV head to head with the Conquest several times and to me, the AV is worth the extra $.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 15:58

Zeiss CS is good to great. I know from experience.

I say go for a top shelf scope like a Zeiss VM/V or S&B rather than pay $400 more for a Swaro American.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Or get the Conquest and save some cash.

The Swaro kind of falls between the cracks with the advent of the Conquest.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 16:21
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I say go for a top shelf scope like a Zeiss VM/V or S&B rather than pay $400 more for a Swaro American.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

I certainly agree that beyond a certain price point, one would be better off just spending a little extra for the best, except for a couple factors:

1.  I bought my Swaro AV scopes off the Sample List, which saved me considerable $ to make the improvements over the Conquest class of scope worthwhile. 

2.  For his stated use as a varmint hunting scope, I personally believe a SFP reticle is a better choice than a FFP reticle.  For big game hunting, I would agree the FFP reticle is better.

Ted

outdoorAg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outdoorAg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 16:26
Just to clarify RifleDude - when say 'AV' - you mean the Swar American Light 1" scope line, correct?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 16:34

How much more is the Sample List Swaro compared to the Conquest the original poster mentioned??

I thought it was $400.

I agree the Swaro is better optically, just not $400 more.

As you said RD, it's debatable.

Good point about the SFP reticle too. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 16:38

Originally posted by outdoorAg outdoorAg wrote:

Just to clarify RifleDude - when say 'AV' - you mean the Swar American Light 1" scope line, correct?

Yes.

Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 16:45
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

How much more is the Sample List Swaro compared to the Conquest the original poster mentioned??

I thought it was $400.

I agree the Swaro is better optically, just not $400 more.

As you said RD, it's debatable.

Good point about the SFP reticle too. 

Yes, correct.  I was really speaking in generalities, because there was also a significant magnification difference between the two scopes which also contributes to the increased cost of the Swaro.  For me, a lot of the decision centers around the reticle choices, FOV specs, and physical dimensions of the scopes being considered as well.  At full retail, the Swaro AV line is starting to get within reach of the flagship model Euro scopes and the Kahles KX series starts making more sense from a performance: value standpoint.

Ted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 16:51

Good copy. Excellent points.

(I'd still go for the Conquest.)  

We are very lucky to have you at The OT, Rifle Dude.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 17:11

Thanx buddy!  I really appreciate that, especially coming from you!

Ted

Cajun Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 05:57
Do you guys think that the Kahles KX is a better scope than the Swaro AV line?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 15:58
I don't know.  I've never used the new KX.  In addition to owning a Kahles binocular, I'm basing my conclusion on the fact I own the now discontinued Kahles AH series scopes and am very impressed with them, and the KX is supposed to be an improvement over the AH.  I own 2 Swaro AV scopes and I think they are slightly better than the Kahles AH.  Owners of both the Swaro AH and the new Kahles 1" (CL & KX)scopes say they are pretty much equivalent, which would seem to make the KX a better value, being less expensive.
Ted

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 17:40

Originally posted by Cajun Hunter Cajun Hunter wrote:

Do you guys think that the Kahles KX is a better scope than the Swaro AV line?

Its probably better than both the Swaro AV line & the Conquest line simply because the Kahles KX is made & assembled in Austria at the Kahles factory.

The Conquest & Swaro AV lines aren't.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 18:46
Originally posted by Obi Wan Kenobi Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

Its probably better than both the Swaro AV line & the Conquest line simply because the Kahles KX is made & assembled in Austria at the Kahles factory.

The Conquest is assembled in the US from German components, but you are incorrect about the Swaro AV line.  They are assembled in Austria, same as Swaro's 30mm scopes.  The "American" designation only refers to the 1" tube, not origin of manufacture.
Ted

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 19:10
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Obi Wan Kenobi Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

The Conquest is assembled in the US from German components, but you are incorrect about the Swaro AV line.  They are assembled in Austria, same as Swaro's 30mm scopes.  The "American" designation only refers to the 1" tube, not origin of manufacture.

My mistake I was under the impression the Swaro line was shipped here to the USA also like the Zeiss conquest materials.

outdoorAg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outdoorAg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 20:18
Anyone had to use the Swar customer service?? Just looking to see what I might be getting myself into if I were to have any problems.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 07:38

+1 on the kahles KX - it beats em both -

i would even choose meopta meostar over the afformentioned scopes for the money - super scopes.

if you are stuck on zeiss conquest or swaro american - i would give the best value to conquest.

ALL fine scopes, though.

+1 on cheap's comment - the zeiss diavaris are DISGUSTINGLY good. 

But the kahles KX isn't far behind.

J

pooreyes View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooreyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2007 at 05:52

Originally posted by outdoorAg outdoorAg wrote:

Anyone had to use the Swar customer service?? Just looking to see what I might be getting myself into if I were to have any problems.

I have 

I couldnt have asked for anything better. Hats off to Rob and the rest of the gang. They treated me better then anyone else has. The turn around time was unreal less then two weeks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by pooreyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic