OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reticle/Scope Choices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2007 at 18:05
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

The FFP allows the same distance reading to be made at any power,  woopee the same thing can be done on a SFP by
simply recalibrating

Dale, this is a short post so you shouldn't need the Advil. What do you mean by recalibrating?
Mike
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2007 at 22:57
At 600 yds, the dots subtend 2".  Not too bad, but I prefer reticles with even less subtension for precision varmint shooting.

Edited by cyborg - August/29/2008 at 02:48
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
okeefe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2007 at 00:01
is the reticle calibrated for the .22-250, or do you have to specify caliber when ordering?
Mike
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2007 at 00:43
O'Keefe, when Dale talks about recalibrating a 2nd FP reticle for reticle applications other than the power the reticle is calibrated for he means that the subtension (measurement) of the stadia spacing is different. I learned this the hard way years ago when i tried to zero my 6-24X Ballistic Mil-Dot at the highest dot @ 24X. Couple days later I missed a called coyote about 2 ft. low when the power was set on 6. Any reticle can be used for downrange zeroing on any scope once u match the subtension to the trajectory. It may not be even 100 yd. intervals, but it can be easily calcd. I'm using a 22 LR BDC reticle on my AR that shoots the .397 BC 65 gr. JLK Low Drag @ 3055 mv, and i love it for mid-range coyotes.
Steve
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2007 at 08:37

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

bullsh*t

Exactly.

This thread is about scopes for PD shooting.  As one who does a lot of PD shooting, I can tell you for absolute certain that SFP reticles are superior to FFP reticles for this pursuit, just like target shooting.  PDs at long range make small targets, and when they play peekaboo with you with only the tops of their heads showing from their mounds, I want the ability to aim at their eyeballs.  I think most folks here understand that the reticle in a FFP scope doesn't grow with relation to the target, but still, a reticle that actually covers less of the target as magnification increases provides more precise aiming.  Yes, FFP reticles offer advantages in certain situations, namely the ability to range at any power setting and theoretically better POI stability at varying magnifications.  For big game hunting and low light performance, the FFP reticle is superior.  So what if a SFP BC reticle is calibrated for only 1 power?  The math is simple for use at other powers.  With some types of shooting like target and small varmints, aiming precision is more important than ranging without conversion at all power settings, so both FFP and SFP reticles have their place.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
okeefe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2007 at 21:45
after much thought I have decided on the Leupold VX-III 6.5-20 with the varmit reticle. First choice would have been the S&B but I have to draw
the line somewhere on price. Thanks to all who weighed on the subject, I learned alot. And sorry for the poor format on the messages...there
doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it.
Mike
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2007 at 08:16
Good deal!  Keep us posted on how you like it.  I really think you'll like the VH reticle for PDs!
Ted

okeefe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2007 at 14:47
Well I thought I was going to go with the Leupold, But I had a chance to look at a ZEISS Victory Diavari 6 - 24 x 56 T*. Wow! what a
scope...couldn't resit so I bought it. I guess price really wasn't that important after all. Thanks again for all your help. Anyone know if they make
any accessories for these scopes (sun shade, flip up covers)
Mike
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 16:52

What reticle did you get with it?

What was the price tag on that Hoss of a scope?

Been lookin at the Conquest. 4.5-14X50..reticle?

okeefe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2007 at 17:59
I choose the #43 Mil-Dot. I also have a conquest 4.5-14x50 with the #20 Z-Plex. I love it. It is mounted on a Kimber 270WSM. The Diavari ran me $1900 through Euro
optics. Great place to buy Zeiss. Doubt you will find a better price anywhere. Only complaint about the Diavari is the use of Metric adjustments on the scope. But if you
just do the math it should be easy. The conquest is 1/4 MOA
Mike
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2007 at 00:11

Okeefe

Great choise of scope

In my opinion it's the sharpest most impressive series of optics i have tried.

But I on the other hand prefer the metric adjustments, and I think you should give it a serious try to use the turrets as BDC instead of holding over the targets, when there is time for it.

When you get used to the metric you will find it's so much easyser to use and calculate around.

S&B 4-16 wvarmint.

I have one of those, i could only see the reticle at 16X and not on the lower magnification.

The reticle is dissapering with the light and cannot be seen in low light.

So i sent the scope back to SuB to have it changed and at the same time had BDC installed.........

Regards Technika

gube204 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gube204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 03:33
I ended up getting the new Leupold VXL 6.5 - 20 x 56 with the varmint hunters reticle. Havn't had a chance to sight it in yet. Weather out here in Alberta has been nasty. Should be okay by Monday. I've got some large prairie dog towns that are begging for some erradication.
Savage Vaporizer
Inukshuk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inukshuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2007 at 07:58
My thoughts

I'd get the same reticle on all my scopes. Makes for only one system to learn, which also means less bullets needed for practice of one system. Next they would all be mil-dots, because it wouldn't matter what BC, grain etc. you have it will always be the same ranging method for all. Now out of all available if I can afford it, it would all be the IOR's with the MP8 reticle. It rocks period. Now you can have up to 15 mils of holdover and that's a lot of range coverage, plus you can pick either FFP or SFP. Your choice. and if I can't get one of these then any scope that has Mil-Dots.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic