OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help withThe best scope for my AR15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote februaryjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help withThe best scope for my AR15
    Posted: March/16/2007 at 10:06
Hi I'm new to the sight so forgive my lack of knoledge I read alot of articles here And I'm wondering what would be best for my application.I bought a Bushmaster Patrolmans model 16" barrell A 3 upper.I like to shoot targets anywhere from 75 feet to 150 yards.I was wondering what scope would best fit my needs.I'm looking for cheap as possible.I'm on a tight budget.And know nothing about scopes or optics.I have a golden 39A marlin with a Bushnell Sportview 4x32 and it is a great shotting gun.I don't know what power I should get for those ranges on the AR 15 and should I use the rail or a scope that mounts on the carry handle.And what loads would suit me best I have shot with open sights the green tip 62 gr. and the Wolf 223 55gr.fmj they seemed to shoot better than the green tip penitraters.Though I shot my 3/8 inch steel target and went right through it with the green tips.More concernd with accurcy.But back to the subject what scope would be best for my needs.Without costing me to much.Like to stay in the 2 to 3 hundred range if possible.Any advise would be greatly appreciated on scope size and bullet type for my needs Thanks again Joe PS.Please help I know you guys know your stuff and I'm in dyer need of info.Thanks

Edited by februaryjoe
God bless America
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 17:10

Does your AR have the built in carry handle?, You may want to check out what Nikon monarch scopes are available at SWFA on their sale they have great prices on the 06 models

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1917-218-nikon-33-10x44-monarch-ucc-r iflescope.aspx

under 300

my choice at 289 would be http://www.swfa.com/pc-1916-218-nikon-33-10x44-monarch-ucc-r iflescope.aspx

with the mil-dot

Duce 

Duce
februaryjoe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote februaryjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 21:45
Thanks Duke I will take a look.I have a removeable carry handle A3 upper Thanks Joe PS would I need to get some type of riser for the picitinny rail when I remove the carry handle? To see over the front sight.

Edited by februaryjoe
God bless America
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 10:18
Your scope does not focus on the front site, and even at very low powers it will only be a ghost. However if you want to retain the heads up style built in the AR platform a riser will be necessary.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote februaryjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 11:05
Thanks Dale appreciate the info.I know nothing about scopes-optics.I need all the help I can get.
God bless America
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 12:50
Which loads work best is difficult-- the barrel length (or lack off takes velocity stuff off the table). a good all around load is the 52 grs hp from black hills --- shoots well in almost any AR. Take a look a a fixed 4 to six for your AR.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote februaryjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 21:58
Thanks again Dale I will look my barrel legnth is 16" with 1 in 9 twist.Just was wondering why a fixed? I not really sure what would be best.Thanks let me know the difference advantages between a 3.5-10x44 or a fixed 4 or 6 power Thanks again I need all the info. I can get to understand more.My vison isn't the best anymore.I will be shooting from 75' to at most 250 yards. Also I was looking at Nikon what is the difference between Monarch-Buckmaster and prostaff? I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible without getting I won't be satisfied with.I would like to be able to hold a 1" group at 100 yards.Thanks I really appreciate all the professional advice.

Edited by februaryjoe
God bless America
hepcatz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hepcatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2007 at 17:32

I know it is out of your price range, but I fell in love with my Acog TA31RCO once i put it on.  I also use a EoTech 552 for under two hundred yards and although it doesn't have magnification, the dot helps you aquire and hit your spot everytime....

I wonder if they make ACOG's in the price range you want.

What about looking at the 10x42 Super Sniper.  I just bought one, but haven't mounted it yet.  That's right at 300.  Seems like a lot of scope for the range you are shooting at, you should see the ragged edges of each hole!!!

Thanks,

hepcatz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic