OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

5.5-16x44 or 6.5-20x44 Nikon?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rain252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.5-16x44 or 6.5-20x44 Nikon?
    Posted: March/15/2007 at 21:17

Long distance shooters..... If I want to shoot 500 yards (target, steel gong)......what are the merits of either going with the Nikon Monarch UCC 5.5-16x44  or  the 6.5-20x44?     Is it worth getting the 6.5-20 for a little extra magnification, or do you make a big sacrifice in something else to get there?   Which reticle would be best for that?

I'm about to spend money and I need to make the right decision......whats your opinion?

Edited by rain252
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 21:43
There is no wrong decision 20x allows you to see 22 cal holes at 100 yds easier than 16x, not much though. I doubt if anyone can tell the difference between 5.5 and 6.5 so the low end isn't a problem here. Both are going to work for 500 yds. but the difference between the span in the two scopes isn't enough to get excited about. Now say a 3.5 x 12 and 6.5x20 ---
rain252 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rain252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 22:04
Thanks for the input....I need it.    Is the reticle choice just what you like best?     Would "fine cross hair" be ok under high mag.?
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 22:11
Nikons fine cross hairs are real 1/8"  (with 1/8" clicks) leo's are close (and the standard int their fixed target scopes), Zeiss are a joke. (hopefull the new Z will change that). fine cross hairs are at their best at high mag. The reticles I like best are made by Nightforce and are extremely fine although leo varmit is pretty damn good, (german #4 with modifications).
rain252 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rain252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 22:18
Thanks for that input Dale.    I am going  tot try to  take advantage of the Nikon sale, so thats why I am trying to decide which Nikon reticle, and which of the two high mag. varaibles to go with.     I would buy both if I thought they served a distinct purpose, but they are so close in mag. that I am seeking another reason to choose one.     But buying BOTH has never slowed me down!    But having a reason to would be nice....otherwise I will just pick one.
weeds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 05:32
Well, if you feel that the 6.5-20 is worth the extra $50, then go ahead and get that one. The little extra power can't hurt, right? Even if the scope starts to lack at 20x, you can still turn it down to 16x. You can't turn the 5.5-16 up to 20x if you feel you need more.
I just switched my order from the 5.5-16 BDC, and got the 6.5-20 BDC instead. Shipped yesterday, so I figure I'll have it either Saturday or Monday. I'll take a look through it and let you know if it starts to slip at higher power.
CAShooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 22:35

Hi Rain,

I have two Monarch 5.5-16x's and many 6.5-20x, and since I shoot target mostly, I have enjoyed the higher powered scopes at 20x, and I have one Sightron 6-24x on my .204 Ruger #1V that has been interesting. With the 5.5-16x's, I use them on my .17HMR and on my .22Hornet, where I don't expect to be shooting as far as with my other rifles. So, my preference has been for the 20x...and that helps compensate for my poorer eyesight...clear larger target (and with a sandbag, the jitters are not a factor)---for offhand shooting, it would probably be a nightmare at that higher power.

Regards,

Ron

Someday you will meet a stranger who will change your life forever.
CarnageZ28 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarnageZ28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 22:39

I know it sounds kinda rediculous, but if the low end is already 5.5, theres not going to be THAT big of a difference going to a 6.5 ....

Some complain of a smaller feild of view.  Yea, I agree to that.  But I also think that most of the people who argue this DONT shoot enough.  When you get really comfortable with a gun, it starts to matter less and less whether the low end is 3X or 6X ... You just have to shoot more and practice pulling up ON TARGET better, rather than rely on having a giant field of view to make up for you pointing the gun in the wrong direction.

It's all preference really, but if you plan on doing alot of target shooting at 200 or more, I say get the 20.  If not, get the 16.5.

rain252 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rain252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 23:58

Thanks....excellelnt insight.    Exaxtly what I needed.  

shootureyeout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootureyeout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 00:28

I shoot from 100 to 300 yards at 20 power, but crank it down to 10-16 power at longer yardages out to 1000 in order to reduce mirage, which can get pretty nasty with a hot barrel and a warm day.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 10:51
High magnification powers are usually given a bad "rap" in offhand shooting, when if fact they are the preferred by rifle metallic silhoutte shooters. Usually, a typical shooter, off a bench or prone will try to isolate the target with the scope and image, reducing the "wooble" before shot let off. This other group works with the wooble in the same way NRA bullseye shooter do--- as soon as any target is seen in the "high" mag scope the shot is pushed thru the target. -- this method also works very well for action type shooting, where the reticle is simple wiped thru the target almost like a shotgun release.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 14:38
Could not tell you, I have been waiting at least 2 months for the former with the BDC reticle.
weeds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 21:15
Got my 6.5-20x44 BDC in today, and let me tell ya - it looks great! The glass is very clear, even when looking far away. I'd say I was looking at least 1000 yds (was from one mountaintop to another in Pittsburgh) and I had a crystal clear picture. Just playing around with the settings, I didn't find there to be much difference in setting the AO between 50-150 yds when set on the lower powers, but changing the AO started to make a difference around 10-12x. The clarity didn't seem to change much between 500-1000, but when looking the farthest distances it seemed to slightly better at infinity than 1000.

Overall I'd say great buy, especially for the closeout price. Can't wait to get it out to the range.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic