OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

primer fouling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: primer fouling
    Posted: March/15/2007 at 19:26

i was cleaning the primer pockets today on some 300wsm's and i noticed that the federal ammo had very little residue and the winchester ammo had lots, anybody else see that??

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 21:50
the difference between mecuric fulminate and mecuric styphanate, I believe.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 07:12

cci primers are dirty too.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 10:08
correction lead styphanate-- usually a few mins in the tumbler takes care of the problem.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 10:13

what kind of media do you use, cause i put my cases in the tumbler after popping out the primers and it wouldnt touch the primer fouling, i am think i have some sort of corn cob media it has some green and yellow to it, and i tumble for at least an hour if not two.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 10:38

This used to drive me nuts. I scraped each on out with a pocket cleaner, then started using birchwood case cleaner after depriming then tumble (corn cob with white abrasive) etc. Currently I just use Federal primers for this and the reason they go through my Dillons better, --CCI are to thick,  and win use of brass.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 10:41
i still do scrape them out with a small flat head screwdriver and i too hate that step in the reloading process, its so teadious but a must do any way, birchwood case cleaner, i will have to try that.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 11:05
After quite a bit of testing, I was unable to confirm that the residue had any affect on my accuracy loads, (no bench stuff) and none on practical shooting and hunting loads. The Dillon primer seater had more effect (and don't use it on accuracy loads).
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 11:06
i didnt figure there would be any accuracy issues with the stuff being there, but doesnt it create the chance for saftey issues??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 12:34

I've detonated a primer tube on a dillon before, but it didn't have anything to do with the residue. I don't think the ash left is hard enough to crush the anvil causing a safety problem. I have gotten a primer in upside down before and it did go when hit with the firing pin however this doesn't happen every time either.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 12:38

i have had some primers flip on me years back when i used an rcbs jr2 what piece of crap that is compared to the rock chucker supreme, so if that residue isnt an issue how come they recommend you remove it?? must be for a consisitant ignition, or proper maybe the more correct term,

another question for you dale have you done any experimenting with bench rest primers vs. standard primers??

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 13:46

Same reason they recommend trimming--- never need if you neck size. or specific problem occurs.  usually seating pressure (or lack of) takes care of ignition consisitancy.

Some experimenting -- when using a gun load combination capable of showing a difference, strangely enough some of the hunting loads showed better improvement than the accuracy loads.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 14:09
i tried bench rest primers head to head same bullets same powder charges and i didnt see any difference worth writing home about, but i'm sure they have there place in this world.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 10:38
because of their mild ignition characteristics, bench resters use them in optimal density cases (6mmbr etc). Also the regectiion rate in manufacturer is much higher, so the SD on height, weight and thickness are held much tighter. If the primer pockets on the cases one is using show a large variation, bench primers won't make any difference, however most benchers use Lapua which can take advantage of the primers due to their extreme uniformity (and cost)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic