OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold8,5-25x50LRAO test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold8,5-25x50LRAO test
    Posted: March/15/2007 at 18:05

I have recently purchased and the Leupold 8,5-25x50LR and fitted it to my Heym 30-06 rifle. I then shot the famous box, with rather dissapointing results. As can be seen from the target, the return to starting point was pretty good, but all other adjustments erratic.I shot 1 shot, winded down the elevation, made 1 shot, winded right the windage, made 1 shot, upped the elevation, made 1 shot and so I went round and round.

My view, after this and several other shoots, is that when making an adjustment, the scope needs two or three shots to re-settle the reticule. If I adjust the reticule it seems erratic for 2 to 3 shots and then the grouping returns.

Leupold suggests I have maxed out on elevation or windage, but it is not the case.

Anyone care to comment???

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 18:11

By the wa,the date should read 13 Jan 2007 if it matters anything.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 21:47
That scope sucks.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 21:59
Sorry got called away before finishing post.Leo is just going to say 1) loads don't fit gun 2) shooter error 3) combination 4) etc.  The test works better with 3 shot groups (at least) so one can determine the group aggregate size and eliminate that as a source of error.  A shot to resettle the reticle is an old wives tale-- a good scope does not need this, it will show up in the aggregate.  Leo is saying that the springs are maxed out because that is what it looks like ( see a study Mike McDonald did early in this forum). The test looks like it was made using different magnifications with each shot. (characteristic of SFP) at a greater distance 3-400 yds. Rachett the knobs from top to bottom and left to right several times, and if you can, let it set at the extremes for several days, then repeat the test. If if doesn't help trade it for a tasco (just kidding). but definitely send it back.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 04:24

Thanks for the advice. All shots were taken at the same magnification and loads and distance of 100m. Only worked the elevation and windage screws, nothing else. The fact that the starting point is well grouped eliminates poor shooting in my humble opinion?? On my last shoot I  needed to adjust 6 clicks up and 2 left (for a new load)and the scope behaved  well on this occasion. The springs are definately not maxed out. I counted the number of clicks from one end to the other and I am approx in the middle. Maybe your advise on ratchetting about etc will do the trick. Living in South Africa and sending it back is about a 2 -3 month turnabout time, so it is not so easy.

Once again thanks, and I will look at Mike's study.

PS I thought I had bought a good scope. Certainly cost me enough!

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 10:31

Had a new leo 1.5x6 that did the same thing out of the box, sent back, fixed, had a Conquest 4.4x14 50 start doing it after 800 rds on an AR10, leo 2x disintegrate, burris 4x12 compact disintegrate, knocked the turret of a Mark 4, could go on-- what keeps shooting interesting.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 11:23

I have hunted all my life, using my Heym 30-06 with a Leupold 3,5-10x40. This combo gave me a 1inch grouping at 100yds and all the buck I needed. Bullet landed where I put the cross-hair type of thing. So I never hassled to much about the rest. This is a hunting rifle by the way, not a target rifle.

This last year I became interested in target shooting, and my life has never been the same! Now the search is on for the Holy Grail.

I will certainly first try easing up the turrets a bit and then see what happens. If it keeps bugging I will definately send it in. I am shooting in a competion tomorrow and for now I am to scared to touch the dials as I have it nicely zeroed.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 12:50
A lot of the hunters in this area use custom guns, (vipers, surgeons with mcmillian stocks and prem barrels) and carry either 2 simmons or a couple of tascos. they all take tropy mulies generally out of the soda springs area in Ida. or cliff creek area in wy. and tropy elk. none believe an S$B is necessary for this. I've whacked both my S$B and USO hard enough to cause the same type of problems this guy is having. There are no perfect scopes.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 13:52
I have a K4 on an 250 savage Ariska built by Ackley that holds the gun together.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 14:15

Here is another target shot today with better results. I winded the knobs a couple of times and at least it seems to go straight up and down and 5 inches either way on 20 clicks. I did not have time to shoot windage as I did this quickly after the comp. It seemed to come back reasonably close to zero. Seems a new scope needs to be "broken" in or is that just nonsense? Anyway, I am a lot happier after today. The glass is pretty good. Came 4th in our competion today.

Edited by cyborg - August/29/2008 at 16:44
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 14:39

This test is more definitive. congrats. 

No I think scopes should be "mangled" before serious use

Heres what I do to a new scope

Grasp AO with strap pipe tool and wrench through full range of turns as hard and fast as possible

Let sit in 110 degree corner until grease runs out of AO

If side parallex try to pry cap off

grasp power selector with same pipe tool wrench thru all power ranges

rachett elevation and windage back and forth until clicks have smoothed out

optional

grasp ocular firmly rap on end of table being careful not to dent tip ( sunshade wont screw in)

drop from a high building.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 14:51
Pretty exhaustive tests Dale.  Quite sure they would show up a weak scope in a hurry.
God save the Empire!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 03:41
Dale, Thanks. I have followed your advice. I also dropped it in the pool just to make sure it is still water proof. Just a few questions. What glue do you recommend to get the objective lens to stay on? Every time I fire a shot it now falls out. Another question, when I dropped it in the pool, the reticule fell out and got sucked into the pool filter. I used a felt tipped pen to etch a new one onto the glass. It is a bit thick. Any suggestions?  I also did manage to get the side parralax cap off. What am I suppose to do with it? One last question, everyone at the range is laughing at my "new look" scope. Do you have an agony aunts e-mail address so I can get some phsycological help?
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 19:43
 Stop shooting at the range and post to www.snipershide.com in the canted reticle section.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic