OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon or Bushnell?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon or Bushnell?
    Posted: March/14/2007 at 21:44
I am looking for a scope to mount on my Remington 700P LTR

I kind of narrowed it down to these two:

Nikon Monarch Matte BDC 6.5-20x44 6576
Bushnell 4-16 x 40mm 42-4164M

The only difference seems to be the "exit pupil". The Nikon only has 2.2 mm while Bushnell has 10@4x and 25@16x (are these numbers even REAL?)

So, ignore the magnification, which one is better? Prices are the same.
Sam's Club, life member
Stupid View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 22:06
OK, add this one too. Better eye relief. How come Leupold has no data on "exit pupil"?

Leupold 4-12x40 VX-II Riflescope LEU56950

Sam's Club, life member
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 07:43

The exit pupil for the Bushnell at 16X is a typo - should be 2.5.  Just divide the objective size by the magnification to get the exit pupil.

As for which scope is better depends on the usage.  The lower power of the Bushnell will be handier for shots less than 100 yds.  The Bushnell also gives you Rainguard depending on when you hunt.

God save the Empire!
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 08:48
4200 is a better made product , expect superior customer service , and the Rainguard coatings really work.
Stupid View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 18:35
Is the eye relief important? I am drawn to the Leupold by it's big eye relief, 4.7 - 3.7 inches compared to Bushnell and Nikon's 3.5
Sam's Club, life member
SC sportsman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC sportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 19:37
I guess if you have a really hard kicking rifle then eye relief could become a factor.  I have a bushnell 4200 mounted on a 7mm mag. and I have never had a problem with  the eye relief.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic