OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold QR mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold QR mounts
    Posted: March/14/2007 at 11:11

I own a Sako 300 H&H with a Leupold VX111 3,5-10x40 with Lynx mounts. This system performs very well for hunting purposes. Recently I have become interested in simulated hunting target shooting. In other words we shoot at pictures of animals with the scores on the back of the target. For this I purhased a Leupold VX111 8 - 25 x 50mmAO. This scope is unsuitable for hunting. To solve this problem I bought the Leupold QR rings and bases (1 inch and 30mm). Currently my rifle is at the gunsmith for a rebarreling job.

Prior to purhasing the QD set-up I searched the web, and I have searched this site for the answer to the question: EXACTLY how well does this system return to zero? No definite answer seems to be forthcoming. Leupold speaks of 1 min of angle, others say it is good, and others just remain silent.

Has anyone out there tried it and is prepared to answer?

I hope to have my rifle back in a month or two, and will be able to post some real answers.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 11:53

Have used the qr in pinch types and the 30 mm on various tactical guns, then tested for poi change as per your question (had the same question). In both cases the result is irratic, that is not able to tell within the limits of the SD of the the group size. I was not able to conclude that there was a significant difference due only to the scope exchange. The important thing to me, however, was no flyers with either type.

If I were to go with a current qr system it would be the new Leo bar system.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 12:56

Thanks for the reply. One of the problems I had was that not many QD mounts are available for the SAKO dovetail. Leupold makes a Weaver style QRW with cross slots, but again not for the Sako. I also had an in depth look at the EAW mounts, who gurantees a 100% return to zero. However, at the price of the mount and two sets of rings, it would be cheaper to rather purchase another rifle! A test in South Africa with these mounts also did not show wonderful results. Again these results were vague and left the final decision of good or bad hanging.

I am not familiar with the Leo bar system.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 13:15
Having read other posts I think your Leo bar system is American speak for the QRW cross slot?? They do not make them for the Sako dovetail.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 15:02
No, leo's new LX system -- does anyone have a Bridgeport mill there? if so use the mausers and cut rails.
RRMan03 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRMan03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 22:15
Leo does did make the QR bases for the dovetail because I just put a set on a Sako 75 last week.Leo part numbers are 53064,53066,53068.They may be discontinued but I got mine from SWFA about a month ago for 79.99.
Nevets Yehcir
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 04:06

Thank you for your response. I have bought the QR bases as per my opening thread, but have not yet tried them. I was referring to the QRW bases as opposed to the QR bases. The QRW bases have the cross slots, similiar to Warneke or Weaver style. These are not available to the Sako dovetail.

Have you tried your system out for return to zero?

RRMan03 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRMan03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 21:07
I have them on 3 rifles.A 280 Remington,a 300 Weatherby and a 340 Weatherby.Also on a Knight Muzzleloader.All return within 1/4 inch after being removed and replaced.I can live with that even out to 300 yards on the rifles and no factor on the muzzleloader.I put them on everything I can so I can use more than 1 scope on each gun acording to where I will be hunting in the world and also to remove the scopes for easier travel.
Nevets Yehcir
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 14:24
Thanks RRMan03. I am looking forward to trying my mounts, but for now have to be patient. Your 1/4inch is in line with what I read up and hoped for.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 04:55
My barrel will hopefully be completed this week, then it has to be proof tested for pressure. After that comes the frustrating business of dealing with our gun licensing authoroties. Our gun laws have been amended, and is a nightmare process.

Edited by cyborg - August/29/2008 at 15:41
Bear250b View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear250b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 14:27
  8 Shots I have QR's on my ML and they hold the zero every time, like you I was sceptical but after removing several times and still getting 3/4" groups at a 100yds I am convinced.
Slacker
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2007 at 14:00
Thanks for response bear250b
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic