OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which of these three is the best?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrdblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which of these three is the best?
    Posted: March/13/2007 at 20:47
Hello all,
My name is Bobby and i am new here. I recently purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Weatherby Magnum, my delima now is what kind of scope to put on it. I plan on using it to shoot from 50-500 yards on things from targets to ground hogs. There is a few specifications i am looking for:
-Mil-dot or similar reticle
-About 4-14x
-Side Parallax

Before posting i came up with 3 main choices and would like some opinions on them.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU56130/leupold_4.5-14x 40_mark_4_lr_t_30mm_riflescope.htm

I have basically grown up on Leupold's,have always found them reliable and never had any issues with them.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/5214909943/zeiss_4.5-14x 50_conquest_rifle_scope.htm

Had never had any experience with Zeiss, although I knew of them, but had read good things about them and "European Optics"

http://www.swfa.com/pc-2797-292-ior-4-14x50-tactical-30mm-ri fle-scope.aspx

IOR is a new name to me, I hear really good things about their scopes but some bad about their CS. I am wondering if it is safe for me to spend my money on their optics.

Thanks in advance, Bobby

Sorry about not have hyperlinks.

sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 20:54
I love Leupolds but I think they've priced themselves a bit too high over the past few years, I think any of the three would be a great choice, I would look on the samplelist as they have a few 4.5-14x44 Zeiss' but they are going fast, I think they just have plex reticles.
lrdblaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrdblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 14:53
Thanks for the info. It will probably be a few weeks before i make any purchase.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 17:02

Great gun my first varmint rifle was a Weatherby 240 when they came out in 1968 , you may want to look at the new Nikons with the side focus too or the Bushnell 4200 series. Anything over 16 X I have to use a rest to do any good at all most of the time I will use one anyway. I have a new Leupold 3 to 10 in the VXL and I have no complaints and they do have the best customer service. Any scope you buy from SWFA they will take good care of you. You may want to look at the IOR tactical series too

Good luck let us know how it all works  Duce

Duce
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 13:00

Having owned all 3 (and recently returned one), I'd say go with the Samplelist Zeiss.  Given your applications, a Leica 1200 laser rangefinder would help you out too.

You don't need the mil dot with a rangefinder, you get a cleaner reticle, and ranging with mil dot is a perishable skill, keep it shap if you want precision and accuracy.

Leus are overpriced (in my opinion) Conquet makes a good spoce - not the best, but also not priced like the best - and Nikon gets rave reviews here.

I recently bought a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest for my 300 win mag.  Shot it alst weekend at a hog hunt, optics were clear - not as bright as my reference NightForce, but better than anything anyone else had - except maybe a VX-III LR that cost significantly more.

Sample list is well worth the money; leus, not so much; and Nikon is up to you.  I didn't like the Nikon for a few reasons, but others love 'em.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 14:31

All of this are exelent choices..

I prefer the mp8 over the mil dots

Also the glass of zeiss and ior are a bit better than leupold (but leupold has the best warranty product ..in your county).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 19:10
Actually, I would disagree with that entirely.  Zeiss' warranty is second to none.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 13:59

I still like my Zeisses much more than the Leus I have owned.  Maybe it's just that other makers have caught up while Leupold praised themselves, maybe its that I can now afford the really good stuff; but my bet, in combat, in hunting, in life in general is now almost always on someone other than leupold.

But that's just me.

Edited by cyborg - August/29/2008 at 16:33
ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 14:23

The scope on t he picture is a nightforce ?..good choice but it cost more than american made zeiss, leup and ior.

I personaly stay with IOR 4-14x50mp8il or fine crosshair illuminated, but  All of them are exelent choices...you choose

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 15:20
Rancid, PM inbound.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 15:39

message received and understood.

ots03, I really like NightForce, very reugged, very dependable, very good optics.  Would have prefered an S&B PM but the budget didn't permit.  I've owned a few Lues and, though they were good, never bought after I got into an income bracket that let me choose.

Didn't know much of IOR till I got to the OT and it will be my next tactical scope purchase.  AS luck would have it, my .308 is punching 1-inch holes at 300 yards so I have little motivation to get another tac gun.  My new Tikka is doing respectable work so it may be a little while before I jump off to the IOR 35mm big boy, but I will.

My advice to anyone who reads this thread is 2-part:

1.  if you are an accomplished and skilled shooter, spend as much as you can on optics, save for awhile if you must.  Once you've used the good stuff, the OK stuff sucks.  badly.

2.  If you are just staritng out, get what you can afford AND still have money to shoot the thing.  I've seen many who dropped serious $$ on rifle and scope and couldn't hit sand if they fell off a camel.

No amount of $$ or good gear will make you a good shooter.  Practice.  Lots!

I saved for awhile, got the NightForce with Badger base and rings, and have never regretted it.

Next will be IOR.  Wish Chris sold NightForce, but that's another post for another forum.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic