OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Doggin scope for my new 204

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 14:44
Originally posted by TD-Max TD-Max wrote:

Wow!  And you're sure that you have the Lo rings?  What is the OD of the objective?  You could go Xlo and still have .050" clearance.  Or shave the botton of the Lo rings about .060" or so.  I'm not sure if there is a minimum clearance spec or not, but it does make a guy wonder WHY they make those high rings???

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/Optilockring.pdf

We are looking to hit SD this Memorial Weekend.  I've never been out to do this yet.  It kinda came to me in a daydream.  Then I found how popular it really is...

Yes, I have the low rings, or at least that's what it said on the package!  That's what I was talking about with regards to the screwed up heights on these rings, one of my dislikes about the OptiLoks.  I do like those new 1-piece Ring Mount OL rings, though.  Don't know how the heights of those compare to the 2-piece versions.  The scope has a 50mm objective, but I don't know what it measures on the outside of the bell.  I'm heading out on a fishing trip directly from work today, so I won't be back home to measure it until Sunday night, but if you like, I can measure it and get back to you.

I've been doing my PD shooting in NE New Mexico near Clayton and in the Texas panhandle.  I promise you, if you get on a good sized town or two, the shooting can get pretty fast and furious and it gets addictive!

Good luck on your trip and with your rifle!  Again, keep me posted on what you decide on your scope & mounts and how the rifle shoots for you.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 18:38
Since the Sako comes with a set of bases and rings, I'll be looking to have the dealer swap the rings for Lo or X-Lo 30mm units.  I'll probably go with the more economical VXIII and maybe Swarovski will do their 6 times zoom in a bigger model next year...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 05:46
im curious to see how they shoot???
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 09:01

Have you looked at the IOR 3 X 18 good scope in you price range and 3x on the low end

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7139-292-ior-3-18x42-tactical-35mm-ri fle-scope.aspx

Duce

Duce
TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 08:22

Looks nice, but then I have to try to find the correct height 30mm rings...

I'm half tempted to take the 1" version of the Leupold so I can use the 1" Sako rings that come with the gun...

The problem is, what I really need is a shop that stocks the gun, scope, and an assortment of Sako rings.  Since the gun is rare I ordered from a Scheels store that had it on hand.  They have the scope, but not the rings that I need...  

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 08:46

Tthe IOR comes with a set of rings, on the SWFA web site you can order with high medium or low.

Duce 

Duce
TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 13:21

But then I have to go through the whole fit thing etc or guess.  Problem is, nobody has done any spec calculations for Sako so I could say OK, this ring equals Sako low.

That said, I ordered Sako lows like RifleDude has.  I think I coulds managed the X-low, but not certain so I figured I'd start with low and see how they worked.  I'm going to try the VXIII 4.5-14x50 Long Range with the VH reticle and see how I like that...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 16:14
Keep me posted on how everything works out for you, TD-Max!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 17:40

Will do.  Have you found any favorite ammunition yet?  Anything it did not like?

I have a bore guide and cleaning supplies along with a sample of most of the available ammunition on the way.  Won't see the gun and scope until Friday or next week early...

sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 12:30

I think u'll like the VH reticle pretty well. I don't like it as much as the new Zeiss Rapid Z reticles, due to the more direct windage reference along the Zeiss horizontal stadia. That's the slickest system around for accurate windage reference.

My windage is approximately .5 of the calculated for the VH reticle for my load/rig. I wish they would've put some short vertical stadia (or dots) at the "5 mph" reference point. That would've helped some, IMO.

Personally i'd see what the wait time is for the Rapid Reticles in the Zeiss varmint series. Those reticles will provide the most accurate long-range zeroing both horizontal and vertical compared to anything else out there on the market besides maybe Horus Vision.

Steve
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 16:03

Will do.  Have you found any favorite ammunition yet?  Anything it did not like?

I haven't worked up any handloads for it yet.  Right now, I've been shooting factory ammo and building up a collection of brass.  It seems to like the heavier 39- and 40-grain bullets a little better than the 32s.  The most accurate of the factory loads I've tried seems to be the Federal 39-grain Blitzking load so far, so I may start experimenting with the Blitzkings for my handloads.

Ted

TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 16:37

I'll be doing essentially the same thing.  I have a little of everything coming and then we'll see what works

Here's the guy who makes custom fit bore guides:

http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.h tm

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 16:51
Yes, the Lucas guides are good.  I mostly use the Sinclair delrin guides as mentioned in that link and have never had a problem with them, but the Lucas is probably the best available.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 17:19

I use the Wipeout and really like it.  I also use 1-pc Dewey & Bore Tech cleaning rods because I run a 50/50 mix of Shooter's Choice and Kroil through my bore for final cleaning in conjunction with the Wipeout.  This combination not only gets my bores squeaky clean, but I believe the penetrating film of the Kroil reduces fouling and speeds up bore cleaning.  Plus, before I store a rifle, I run a patch with TM Oil through my bore for preservation.  My only objection to the bore snake is that you have to keep it very clean.  All the open fibers and the tremendous amount of surface area of the fiber "rope" can trap and hold grit (from sand and dust), which can scratch your bore, since the grit is silicon, same as in lapping compound.  Just something to consider.  It is less critical for a hunting rifle, but for a precision target or varmint rifle, I always err on the side of caution to prevent scratching the bore.

Edited by cyborg - August/29/2008 at 15:00
Ted

TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2007 at 09:09
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I haven't worked up any handloads for it yet.  Right now, I've been shooting factory ammo and building up a collection of brass.  It seems to like the heavier 39- and 40-grain bullets a little better than the 32s.  The most accurate of the factory loads I've tried seems to be the Federal 39-grain Blitzking load so far, so I may start experimenting with the Blitzkings for my handloads.

I only have 60 yds and am probably not as good as what the gun is capable of.  I have not yet bedded it either.

Here's what I found:

Rem 32 gr= sux all over the place
Rem 40gr= good
Hornady 32gr= good
Hornady 40gr= pretty good
Federal 39gr= Very good
Winchester Supreme 32gr= excellent shot 5 rounds into 1 ragged hole that would cover with the end of a AA battery 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2007 at 09:44

Yep, that's generally what I found with mine for all the above, except the Winchester Supreme 32gr load, which I haven't tried.  I'll have to check that out.  So far, the Fed. 39gr load has been the most accurate factory load in mine.  I will start handloading for this rifle soon and will let you know if I come across a recipe that stands out above the rest.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2007 at 19:54
ah i wish you guys would quit talking about the .204 making me want to go buy one of those too, along with the other 3-4 rifles i want right now.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 20:03
RifleDude,

Curious how that Sako is treating you?
tooldude View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooldude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 16:52
I have the Swarovski 6-18x50 TDS on my 700 204, love it.  Not much mirage on hot days, works great.  My GA ar-15 204 has a vx-III 4.5-14x50 varmint hunters, great scope for a a reasonable price, not quite a Swarovski, but good for prairie poodles.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 18:36

RifleDude,

Curious how that Sako is treating you?

Very well!  I love it!  How is yours treating you?

Here is a load I found that works pretty well in mine:

39 gr. SBK
25.7 gr. Benchmark
CCI BR4
2.260" COAL
5 shot, 100 yd groups:
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic