OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Doggin scope for my new 204

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doggin scope for my new 204
    Posted: March/13/2007 at 20:36
Looking for suggestions for a scope for my new Sako Varmint lam stainless.  I'd like a scope worthy of a fine rifle like this.  My preference at this point leans toward the varmint reticle and something like 4-18 or 6-20.  Been looking at the Leupold VX-L and VX-7.  Any other suggestions for a scope with the varmint reticle?
TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 22:42
Swarovski TDS plex looks nice too.  I'll look at the Nikon and S&B also.  I'd like to stick with about a $1500-1700 price tag to match the rifle.  Zeiss Conquest also under consideration. 

I'm torn between the 6-xx range and a 4-xx range not wanting to overkill the magnification.  Something like 4-16 or 18.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 07:57

When you say "varmint" reticle, do you mean the Leupold "Varmint Hunters" reticle?  If so, how about the VX-III 6.5-20 X 40 (or X 50) LR side focus model with VH reticle?  I have this scope, and have been very pleased with it.  I especially like the VH reticle for shooting PDs.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 09:59
Get the vx-L and let us know how it works.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 16:48

Have you looked at the 6-18 Meotpa?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 17:31

I'm thinking I'd like to stick with 4x as a starting point.  My present line of thought is to start out simple with a VXIII in 4.5x14.  I started thinking VX-L, but the half moon front makes it so unique and won't accept screw ons. 

On the other hand, the Swarovski PVI-2 looks so sweet with the TDS 4 and the lighted center dot.

Problem is to buy without seeing one is tough to do.  The high end stuff just isn't around my part of the country.  The VXII will accept a sunshade, and they are more common in the shops and of course less $$ for risk...     

TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 17:36

Originally posted by asphunter asphunter wrote:

Don't miss SWFA's Nikon sale 6.5-20 Monarch (the best Nikon 1") for $350!
If you have deep pockets there is nothing finer than the Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50 with the special 8 dot varmint reticule.
I have 2 and think they are the best scopes ever made by man.SWFA sells them too.

Would you know where ther is a clear sample image of this reticle style?  So many of these on the web have soucjh lousy images of the reticle style.  You'd think they'd get some good graphics...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 19:01
Originally posted by TD-Max TD-Max wrote:

...On the other hand, the Swarovski PVI-2 looks so sweet with the TDS 4 and the lighted center dot.

Problem is to buy without seeing one is tough to do.  The high end stuff just isn't around my part of the country. 

TD,

I have a Swaro 6-24X50 PH with the TDS4, but not the PVI illuminated version.  I use mine for "doggin" as well, and I like both scope and reticle a lot.  BUT, get ready to lighten the wallet!  Personally, just speaking for the reticle alone, I like the Leupy Varmint Hunters reticle better than the TDS, because it has additional windage dots and a "prairie dog gauge" at the bottom of the reticle that's pretty useful for quickly telling if the dog is more or less than 300 yards away.  It also has finer lines than the TDS, which is nice for longer shots.  Otherwise, it and the TDS are very similar reticles.  Of course, optically, the Swaro is better than the Leupold.

Also check out the IOR tactical scopes with the MP8 reticle.  The MP8 would make a fantastic long range PD reticle!  I just recently got a 4-14X50 Tactical w/illum MP8, and although I haven't used it on PDs yet, that will change in about 2 months from now.  In fact, I have this scope on the exact same rifle as yours, also in .204!  Nice rifle!  I have a pic of this scope on the rifle, in my recent review in the Tactical section:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6001&PN=1

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 21:45
RifleDude,

Thanks for the link.  Say, can I ask which rings and bases you used?  By the specs, it looks like the 30mm shorts should just clear a 50mm.

I'm thinking I'll start with a $500-900 Zeiss or Leupold to start and if I fell the need to upgrade, maybe Swarovski will  have something new.  How do you  like the 6x as low end?  I was thinking 4x on the  low end would be a  bit more user friendly if a 20-30yd shot appeared.

Nice to have someone with the same gun here.  I should have mine next week.  It didn't take a lot of convincing once I picked it up.  The overall feel and trigger feel made it immediately apparent that I had to have it.  The only issue from there was locating one in 204 which I think I have finally done . 
TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 21:53
If this one had the Varmint Hunter reticle...

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/5214949920/zeiss_4.5-14x 50_conquest_rifle_scope.htm
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 00:23
I also have the VH reticle in a 4.5-14X VX-III, and it's my 2nd favorite varmint hunting reticle due to it's direct windage reference. Here are my favorite varmint reticles-- www.rapidreticle.com
Steve
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 08:37

RifleDude,

Thanks for the link.  Say, can I ask which rings and bases you used?  By the specs, it looks like the 30mm shorts should just clear a 50mm.

I'm thinking I'll start with a $500-900 Zeiss or Leupold to start and if I fell the need to upgrade, maybe Swarovski will  have something new.  How do you  like the 6x as low end?  I was thinking 4x on the  low end would be a  bit more user friendly if a 20-30yd shot appeared.

Nice to have someone with the same gun here.  I should have mine next week.  It didn't take a lot of convincing once I picked it up.  The overall feel and trigger feel made it immediately apparent that I had to have it.  The only issue from there was locating one in 204 which I think I have finally done . 

TD,

The rings are the low 30mm Sako Opti-Loks.  I have mixed feelings about these mounts, though I do like the fact they have the ring inserts and of course the finish matches the rifle perfectly.

6X on the low end (for the Leupold scope) is fine for PD's as I generally stay around 10-12X during most of the day's shooting.  However, if the rifle it's mounted on doubled for other types of varminting like predator hunting, I too would prefer 4X on the low end, which is why I like the magnification range on the IOR.

You will absolutely LOVE the trigger on that rifle!  It may very well be the best factory trigger I've ever seen on a varmint rifle!  It's great in unset mode -- I adjusted mine down to about 1.5 lbs.  But, that 7oz. set trigger is really sweet!  The .204 chambering must have been a very limited run in this rifle, as Sako never cataloged this chambering that I can tell, I never saw it listed as an option in any of their literature on the rifle, and I've never seen one in .204 in a gun store or even talked to anyone who had it in .204 -- until now.  I found one by accident off gunsamerica.com.  It's ironic that you will have the exact same rifle!  I really love everything about it!  I haven't shot any handloads in it yet (trying to build up enough brass for a doggin' trip), but mine likes the Federal 39gr. Blitzking load the best vs. the Hornady 32 and 40 gr. V-Max loads.  So far, it's been a 1/2 MOA rifle, with the occasional 1-hole group with this load, so I'll probably start out with the 39gr Blitzking bullets with my handloads and experiment from there.  Everything points to the fact this gun wants to shoot, so I just have to find what it likes the best!  Other than the trigger adjustment, the only thing that isn't as it came out of the box is I bedded the action.  I have no idea how it shot before bedding, as I did that immediately before even shooting it.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 09:20

Why do you say mixed feelings on the Sako rings/mounts?

Which base do you have?  Looks like the short?

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 10:28

I don't particularly care for the side clamp design on the base and the method for connecting the base to the rings, with just a cap screw and no orientation feature.  I also don't like the fact their heights are pretty skewed toward being too tall.  Basically, I just think the bases are unnecessary and couldn't understand why they didn't just design the rings to mount directly to the Sako grooved receiver, which is in essence an integral base.  They evidently recognized this, as they show the new 1-piece "Ring Mounts" on their website, which eliminates the bases.  Having said all that, the mounts do appear to be solid once installed, so I really can't complain about function.

Yes, I do have the short bases.

Ted

TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 10:43
Any suggestions as to where a guy could purchase these new mounts without huge delay?  The store that has my rifle doesn't carry the rings and I find it absurd that a stainless gun does not come with a stainless ring or 30mm option.

How much clearance do you have with your 50MM scope?   X short would probably be too tight?

The 2 pc looks nice like it could be machined shorter.  I guess a guy could weld it up.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 16:55

Any suggestions as to where a guy could purchase these new mounts without huge delay?  The store that has my rifle doesn't carry the rings and I find it absurd that a stainless gun does not come with a stainless ring or 30mm option.

How much clearance do you have with your 50MM scope?   X short would probably be too tight?

The 2 pc looks nice like it could be machined shorter.  I guess a guy could weld it up.

Unfortunately, no.  Sportsman's Warehouse carries the Opti Lok mounts, but I'm not sure if they have the 1-piece "Ring mounts" in stock or not since they are new.  They didn't when I bought mine.

I don't recall offhand how much clearance I have between the objective bell and my barrel and I'm at work at the moment.  When I get home I'll measure it.  Just guessing, I'd have to agree that X short would probably be too tight though.

Good luck with your setup and keep us posted on what scope you choose.  Also, let me know how your Sako shoots and if you develop any good loads for it, pass those along as well.  Again, I haven't talked to anyone else who has this same rifle prior to you.

Ted

TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 20:43
I hope to have my setup done for next weekend, but that will be a tough order to fill with the whole scope mount deal..
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 08:12

How much clearance do you have with your 50MM scope?

Approx. 0.135" between barrel and objective bell.

Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 08:13

I hope to have my setup done for next weekend, but that will be a tough order to fill with the whole scope mount deal..

Keep us posted on how it works out for you. 

BTW -- where do you go to shoot PDs?

Ted

TD-Max View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TD-Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 08:45

Wow!  And you're sure that you have the Lo rings?  What is the OD of the objective?  You could go Xlo and still have .050" clearance.  Or shave the botton of the Lo rings about .060" or so.  I'm not sure if there is a minimum clearance spec or not, but it does make a guy wonder WHY they make those high rings???

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/Optilockring.pdf

We are looking to hit SD this Memorial Weekend.  I've never been out to do this yet.  It kinda came to me in a daydream.  Then I found how popular it really is...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic