OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help with a scope choice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with a scope choice
    Posted: March/13/2007 at 13:03

ok, so i have finished up building a r700 .308 which will be used for game/varmit hunting, and general range shooting within the 200 yard range. the optical range of my scopes are usualy in the 3-9 or 4-12 range, and it's what i'm use to, and what i like.

i have never seen the benifit of what most of ya call "good glass" as the majority of my scopes were BSA,Simmons, 1 old redfield, and dare i say ...discount tasco's. i always put my $ toward the rifle and not the optice because i was under the impression that a scope only helped you see better, and not helped you shoot better. after being turned on to the SS at the range one day, i started doing a bit of reading and research and bought a SS 10x to mount on a PSS, i may now tend to dis-agree with my previous statement because i have realized that seeing your target better, gives you a better chance of hitting it. it sounds dumb to realize this after years of shooting, but i guess ingnorance is bliss.....  

so, this is where i need your help, i don't want to throw good $$ after bad, and am thinking of something off the sample list ( i don't need brand spanky new ) like a 3x9 or 4x12 nikon buckmaster or monarch. the price range i'm looking at is under $300. what would your choices be, and what are my better options ? i noticed that on these scopes, the price is only little more then a new BSA's , with some as cheap as $150-ish ....and from what i've read i understand that nikon is a good brand of scope, but with as many options that SWFA has, it's a bit overwhelming to figure out which is a better product for the $$ ...  i'm looking for something that can stand a bit of shooting, and not just 10 rounds a year, i have 2 BSA's that have parts rattling around in them . ...and usualy shoot about 400-600 rounds a year from each of my rifles.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 13:33
If you can still find a 3-9 Monarch during the sale it is an excellent price on a quality scope. If not, the 3-9 4200 Bushnell is a real good one for around $250.
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 15:17
whats the diffrence between the monarch the buckmaster or the pro staff ?

Edited by sinsir
chmcmm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmcmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 15:32
I have a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 on my .308. It's the perfect size for that caliber. I just bought a Nikon Monarch 4-12x40 for under $300 for a 300 WSM. Excellent glass for the money. I'd say look at a Monarch or Elite 4200. If you up your limit to around $350-400 take a look at a Zeiss Conquest on the Samplelist. I would've bought it instead of the Monarch but I wanted something with a little more magnification.
asphunter View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor

Larry Root

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 16:00
You should really take a close look at the SWFA Monarch sale as it's an opportunity to save a bunch on a
scope you will be happy with for the forseeable future. The Sample list and Ebay are other good sources
of scopes at savings. If you spend $300, it's hard to get a bad scope. if you spend $150, there's a lot of
junk out there.
Heitmann13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heitmann13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 16:00
I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm on a winchester 300WSM and have fired alot of rounds through the gun and have had no problems with the scope.  I think it is a good scope and would recommend the scope to a friend.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 17:20

Originally posted by sinsir sinsir wrote:

whats the diffrence between the monarch the buckmaster or the pro staff ?

the monarch is top dog the buckmaster is mid grade and the pro staff is entry level, i own two out of three and my brother in law has a pro staff, i have one older buckmaster i believe it was made in 2002 or so and he bought his pro staff in 2005 i think and his newer prostaff was so close in comparison to my older buckmaster i could hardly believe it, but compared to my new monarch and new buckmaster i can tell the difference. any one of those is a good scope a lot depends on how much you wanna spend, i guess.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
asphunter View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor

Larry Root

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 22:49
Here's a real deal on the sample list

6974     Nikon 3.5-10x50 Monarch UCC         &nb sp;6604, Matte finish, Illuminated Mil-Dot reticle, 1" tube, fast focus eye piece, light ring marks.      $865.00(list)      $399.95(sale)

about perfect for a 308!
asphunter View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor

Larry Root

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 22:52
oops forgot the picture of it

sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 07:31

nice, thanks ppl ....

i use nikon camera equipment, and have never been disappointed with the optics, but you never can tell about stuff you have'nt used. 

the nikon was just an example of what i was looking for, are there any other choices out there , like the bushnell, or are the nikons the best value for the $$ ( up to $300 ) ... again, this rifle is a shooter, that will be used not only for hunting but general shooting at the range, at distances up to 200 yards. i most likely will be buying off the sample list, because im a cheap @&& , what i ment to say is - it seems they are good deals....lol...

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 07:36

i second that choice - it's a great scope for the money, and would meet your needs well.

J

sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2007 at 13:48
well ... i just picked up the 3x9 nikon from the sample list ....otta be better then what i've  used before ...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic