OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A question for "older’ shooters.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokkmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question for "older’ shooters.
    Posted: March/13/2007 at 09:27
So, when shooting and using your scope, do you have your reading glasses ON or OFF?
A great rifle is only as good as the scope on it!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 10:19

I was having the same problem a while back

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5439&KW=ta hqua

I wear a bifocal now instead of the progressive for shooting and look through the unmagnified part. I am having to re-focus my scopes, though. It seems to be better than moving my head around to get the right focus.

4T570 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4T570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 13:30
I wear bifocals, the progressive ones.  I take them off to shoot...rifle, handgun, shotgun....normally wear off-the-shelf shooting glasses (no correction).  I also don't wear them hunting, ie looking thru scope and/or binoculars.
oldguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 16:52
I use four(4) pair of glasses. One pair for close in reading, one pair for medium distance(on now), one pair for far distance(driving). one pair for finding the other three. For hunting/shooting I dont wear any!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 22:44

Progressive bi focals I use what I have.  I have to train on the department range with them because I wear them at work and you never know when you might have to return fire in law enforcement so I always train with them on.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 07:26
I wear glasses all the time but they are not bifocals.  Leave them on fwhen using the scope but drop them down when using binos.  This is probably just an eye relief thing for me.
God save the Empire!
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 09:08
i wear glasses, and shoot with mine on. btw..they are not bifocals
oyeme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 20:36
I couldn't help but notice that one other option that I have used for several years has not been offered.  I use Lasik vision correction and then only have to find my darn reading glasses for close work of which; I can never have enough pairs to keep one handy.  I always wear protective shooting glasses either hunting or shooting.  With Lasik surgical correction you obviously no longer have worry about fogging, dirty, broken or the various other problems that come with glasses.  The newer procedure is even better, as I think that they are now using a lens inplant similar to ones used  for correcting cataracts, that can give you distance as well as near vision correction.  I strongly recommend Lasik as the ultimate solution and have no problems looking through a scope.  Now, if I could only find those various pairs of reading glasses I have when I need them!
Bill E.
CAShooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 22:20

Wearing glass for many, many years, I went thru bifocals, and now just wear distance glasses (as I don't need any to read print or computer screens.) I usually wear these (single prescription--not bifocal, not progressive) when on the range. I am planning on trying to shoot without them, but can't see the field down range without them, so...just only on a bench on a range will I try shooting without them. For safety reasons, I will wear them the rest of the time when carrying a rifle.

Regards,

Ron

Someday you will meet a stranger who will change your life forever.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 12:22
why is everybody using large fonts?
jkll View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 12:50

I cursed my Burris Signature 4x40 for poor optical quality when I looked through it with my -2.00 right eye contact lens. I accidentally kooked through it with my left eye -.500 contact lens and it was like looking through a different scope.The optics were great. This is the only scope that exhibits this problem if indeed it is a scope problem. All I can tell you is experiment with different combinations of scopes and eyeglasses/contact lenses until you find the right combination. The differences can be dramatic.

steadyshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steadyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2007 at 14:39

As an Optometrist I can tell you you should not need any glasses for scope shooting.  Iron sites are a different monster!

Unless you have an extraordinary amount of astigmatism (irregular curvature to you eye) or a very high Rx none should be needed!

Consult your friendly optometrist...........

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic