OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 16X Upgraded?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
martyr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 16X Upgraded?
    Posted: March/13/2007 at 22:34

UPDATE 3rd call was the charm

Got through to swfa the man on the phone said the updates were accross the board so I may have a bad unit?

Anyone out there running a 16X find that they needed to have a sunshade installed to get glare free images?

Reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if the glare is the nature of the 16X as I hate to send it back for no reason.

Thanks Marty

Edited by martyr
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 16:55

My friend, I speak from experience.  

Chris Farris and the good people of SWFA are concerned with your TOTAL satisfaction.

If your not happy with the SS, please keep trying to reach someone at SWFA and get your problem resolved.

Sounds like it may be defective, but I have one and I'm totally thrilled with it as are many other folks CONUS, and more importantly OCONUS.

Sounds like your call got dropped accidentally. 

martyr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 16:47

Yep, same post I read

"Changes were due to military input related to the Designated Marksman program and actually took place in the summer of 2005, we received stock in October of 2005 (the 2006 date was a typo either in our e-mail or your post).  We carry a massive inventory because of spontaneous military orders so it could have taken some time before the latest variations made it to the street."

I don't think the post ever said specificaly that the 16X was one of the upgraded units.

That's was why I was wondering "IF"  

1. The 16X didn't get the same upgrades

2. Possibly I got back stock on the 16X because they haven't moved as many.

3. Or maybe I just got a clunker?

That's why I called the horse’s mouth so to speak...unfortunately the horse dropped my call.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 15:45

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5699&PN=2

Hope this helps.

MM talks at length about the 10x SS, but I would think the "upgrades" would apply to all Super Snipers, including the 16x in question.

Welcome to The OT....

martyr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 13:49

Called and asked to talk to whomever is the SS expert.

Placed on hold 10 min.

Phone gets picked up and I hear the same background noise when they first answered.

I say hello?....Click....................."if you would like to place a call"....beep...beep...beep...priceless.....

martyr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2007 at 23:50

Poured concrete benches with bags in rear and bipod up front shooting 200-300 yards.

Parallax was tuned out till my head bob didn't move the cross.

I actualy feel the eye relief is good for the power.

The problem I encountered was when the clouds became slightly brighter the whole scope would wash out.

Now I've never had a scope that needed a sun shade when it wasn't sunny?

That's why I was wondering if this was an older model as the box was stuffed full of Tasco paper work.

I had the SS16X42 set up on my bolt and next to it I had a less expensive scope on my AR.

Cheaper scope had none of the glare problems.

Let me once again say "no sun in the sky" just bright clouds...

Anyone know if the 16x got upgraded or should I send it back for a 10x?

Edited by martyr
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2007 at 20:33
I am familiar with the 20 and the 10 so assuming the 16 is more like the 20 than anything else I would say - realize that the focus is VERY critical on the high power scope. On the 10 the focus ring and especially the side focus is much more forgiving. Eye Relief is also fairly shallow on the high power and this may be what is hapening to  you. If you work with it regarding the focus dial and the eye relief you will find that it either works for the way you shoot or it doesn't. The 16x is best suited to benchrest type shooting, if you are not using a rest of some type you are using too much magnification.  A lens shade or kill flash or both should help with the glare.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
martyr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2007 at 19:34

I read that the SS10X42 had been upgraded with better glass and was wondered if the 16X had been upgraded.

Here's the problem I purchased a 16X SS and went out shooting on a very overcast day.

Yet....I was having bad glare problems from what little light there was.

The scope whited out so much that I though a piece of paper was blocking the front of the objective.

Nope no paper.....?

Anyone else notice an optical difference beside brightness and magnification on the 10x vs 16x?

I hate to return it and loose money on an exchange but the scope was almost useless.

Any thoughts?

Edited by martyr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic