OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron SII -tunnel effect?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 22LR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron SII -tunnel effect?
    Posted: March/12/2007 at 18:24
 I have SI 3x9 rimfire scope and it shows significant tunnel effect. If I used on a range, after a while, do not see it, but when began to shoot it enoys me. Wonder if anybody has a similar experience with SII 3x9 ?
jackG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2007 at 19:02
I have an Sll 3-9X42.  I have not experienced what you're describing.  I've not used an Sl either so I can't refer to any sort of comparision.  In fact, I don't know what is meant by "tunnel effect." 
ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2007 at 19:08

Hey Jack,

How do you rate your SII ?

Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your back
22LR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 22LR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2007 at 19:33
 Hi Jack, the "tunnel effect" or "tire effect" , in my understanding, occurs when looking through the scope you see a black "ring", i.e. inner part of the scope that limits your view on the edge, like a tire. I read about it but have seen only in my S1 rimfire, not in my others scopes.  This effect is eye position sensitive, but in S1 rimfire is always there.    
jackG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 07:34

Thanks for the info, 22LR.  That's a new one on me.  What causes that phenomenon?

Rockman, if you check around here I've left some messages regarding the Sll.  For a recap;  I intended to put a VX-ll or lll on my Tikka T3 lite 270 WSM.  I had hunted MT with a borrowed rifle this fall, topped with a VX-lll compact. Other than some experiences with a old 4x tasco on a .22, that was my only hunting experience with a scoped rifle.  The compact worked very well and I filled 3 tags with 3 shots, some at substantial ranges, using a 7mm-08. 

I came home and bought the Tikka. While scope shopping at SWH and pawing through a whole case of them, I saw the Sightron, and I recalled comments seen here.  So I compared it to the other stuff there, side by side.  To my eye, the scope is very nice.  I found observers here who compare the glass to VX-ll or lll, which is an excellent bench mark.  The lenses are crystal clear, the image it produces is perhaps slightly bluish as opposed to the VX which  appears kind of yellowish.  That's how is, to my eye.  Obviously from a practical hunting standpoint the Leupold did everything I could have asked.  However I prefer the Sightron's glass.  At that point I realized that scope choice, all things equal relative to the optical  physics factoids, is a subjective process.  Then there was the price thing.  Not only did I prefer the Sightron's optics, but the thing cost less than half the price of a VX-lll.  As I've noted elsewhere, I thought they made a mistake in pricing. 

Now I'm wondering how good the soon-to-be-available, Big Sky version is.  Whether it's warmed over Sll or really takes another step.  There are so many excellent scopes available, at a whole range of prices, that we consumers can get anything we want.  Gotta love the market! 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic